Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Europe > British Isles/Western Europe

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

British Isles/Western Europe Amsterdam, Brugge, Dublin, Edinburgh, London (Dover, Harwich, Southampton)

Old July 7th, 2013, 07:35 AM
Cool Cruiser

On my last stay in London, I stayed in the Premier Inn County Hall in I believe the district is called Southbank. I can really recommend the place. The desk employees were really helpful and exceptionally went out of their way to help our group out.

Pros:

Rooms were clean, comfortable, and much larger than expected. The bathrooms were especially large.

Tube stations in one direction very near (Waterloo - also trains), another just a short walk over the footbridge (Embankment), a third across Westminister Bridge (Westminister)

Red Buses a short walk out to the Westminister Bridge Road and the water bus stop for the water trip out to London Bridge included in Hop Off Hop Off tour deal kicks off just across the bridge.

Aquarium, Florence Nightingale Museum, London Eye, a nice park, Big Ben, House of Lords, a large festival hall (sorry, forgot the name) and I don't know what else right there in walking distance. Also a nice row of restaurants along the river past the park at I think it is called Festival Pier.

Only con I can really come up with, I don't think I would want a ground floor room with a window facing onto the park. If those even exist as I think the restaurant and things like that are on that floor no rooms.

Edit: Sorry, I don't know the current pricing. Prices when we stayed there were exceptionally competitive.

Imma Critter #24

RAH! RAH! Quantum Launchers!

Last edited by TravelinGert; July 7th, 2013 at 07:36 AM.

Old July 7th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Premier Inn County Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinGert View Post
On my last stay in London, I stayed in the Premier Inn County Hall in I believe the district is called Southbank. I can really recommend the place. The desk employees were really helpful and exceptionally went out of their way to help our group out.

Pros:

Rooms were clean, comfortable, and much larger than expected. The bathrooms were especially large.

Tube stations in one direction very near (Waterloo - also trains), another just a short walk over the footbridge (Embankment), a third across Westminister Bridge (Westminister)

Red Buses a short walk out to the Westminister Bridge Road and the water bus stop for the water trip out to London Bridge included in Hop Off Hop Off tour deal kicks off just across the bridge.

Aquarium, Florence Nightingale Museum, London Eye, a nice park, Big Ben, House of Lords, a large festival hall (sorry, forgot the name) and I don't know what else right there in walking distance. Also a nice row of restaurants along the river past the park at I think it is called Festival Pier.

Only con I can really come up with, I don't think I would want a ground floor room with a window facing onto the park. If those even exist as I think the restaurant and things like that are on that floor no rooms.

Edit: Sorry, I don't know the current pricing. Prices when we stayed there were exceptionally competitive.
We will be staying there in September. Did you have breakfast in the restaurant? Also, did you eat in any of the nearby restaurants, were they reasonable priced?

Old July 7th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

My mistake SOUTHWARK not Southbank it seems. Just looked at the map to provide clearer information where the things I am mentioning in this post are located. Yes, we did eat in nearby restaurants over the course of the week and all were reasonably priced.

We had breakfast twice in the hotel. It was not the cheapest, but it was a buffet which saved time. Full English with the usual mushrooms, variety of eggs, beans, toast, tomato, sausages or bacon, juices, tea, coffee, the works! I want to say it was around $12. I did hear sometimes they have special deals with it included. We got a really, really inexpensive rate for the hotel, so we didn't worry so much about that.

I had a hamburger at Giraffe at Festival Pier just east along the river bank past the park just beside the Inn. Current menu says a classic burger is 9.95. Others in our group enjoyed the restaurant next door, which I think was Thai. They served noodles and were slightly cheaper. Reportedly the food was very fresh. This is a row of restaurants on the bank, not out on the pier. Some of the group had late night sushi from the place over by Festival Pier. They said it was good and priced about the same as at home.

If you leave the hotel and turn left down Belevedere road, there is a Pizza Express with wood fire oven just past the back side of the Festival Pier restaurants before you get to the National Theater on the right. I had a four seasons pizza which was quite tasty there. Here is their current menu.

None of these are what you call luxury dining, but they were tasty and different from home.

There is also a quick stop type shop right across the street from the hotel which opens early.

Imma Critter #24

RAH! RAH! Quantum Launchers!

Old July 7th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you TravelinGert for all the wonderful information! Any pubs nearby?

Old July 7th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Premier Inn County Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinGert View Post
My mistake SOUTHWARK not Southbank it seems. Just looked at the map to provide clearer information where the things I am mentioning in this post are located. Yes, we did eat in nearby restaurants over the course of the week and all were reasonably priced.

We had breakfast twice in the hotel. It was not the cheapest, but it was a buffet which saved time. Full English with the usual mushrooms, variety of eggs, beans, toast, tomato, sausages or bacon, juices, tea, coffee, the works! I want to say it was around $12. I did hear sometimes they have special deals with it included. We got a really, really inexpensive rate for the hotel, so we didn't worry so much about that.

I had a hamburger at Giraffe at Festival Pier just east along the river bank past the park just beside the Inn. Current menu says a classic burger is 9.95. Others in our group enjoyed the restaurant next door, which I think was Thai. They served noodles and were slightly cheaper. Reportedly the food was very fresh. This is a row of restaurants on the bank, not out on the pier. Some of the group had late night sushi from the place over by Festival Pier. They said it was good and priced about the same as at home.

If you leave the hotel and turn left down Belevedere road, there is a Pizza Express with wood fire oven just past the back side of the Festival Pier restaurants before you get to the National Theater on the right. I had a four seasons pizza which was quite tasty there. Here is their current menu.

None of these are what you call luxury dining, but they were tasty and different from home.

There is also a quick stop type shop right across the street from the hotel which opens early.
Thanks so much TravelinGert for all the information. We did not get a great price for our stay, but the location seems like it would work best for us. We are in our 70s and I would be afraid to use the subway, just some walking the HOHO and a tour or 2. The breakfast was quoted on their website as 12 pounds. I didn't know if this is an average price for breakfast or there were other options in the immediate area.