Anyone walked from Coxen Hole pier to the Made in Roatan store? Safe walk?

sun, sand, cocktail

While researching things to do in Roatan, I discovered the Made in Roatan store. I would like to visit during my upcoming cruise but am not sure if the area outside the cruise pier is safe to walk. Apparently you turn right upon exiting the pier entrance and the store is 300 metres up the road.

Has anyone walked this?

I understand there will be many trying to sell tours and many taxis but is it calmer once you get past that?

Thank you for your help.

I did not go to Coxen Hole, ours was another port. However, as far safety on the island in general, always felt VERY safe, even on our extended island tour. Never a concern. Now you may get bothered by vendors, but that's about it. And you can easily brush them off. Honestly my wife and I were ready to move after our day there, it was charming.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They're literally a 5 minute walk (or an under 9 second sprint by Usain Bolt) to your right after exiting the port. Can't miss the building with its USAF insignia. Just stay along the harbor side until you get there. Taxi drivers outside the port may be the only ones hassling you. Pay them no mind.

Thank you all for your replies.

We have been to several cruise ports throughout the Caribbean so I do expect there to be people selling things as thats how they make their living. I am not being paranoid, just asking as I've read many reviews and looked at several youtube videos and there doesn't appear to be much outside the pier gates. From what I've read, most cruise passengers either do a tour of some sort or stay on the ship. I haven't been able to find much about walking outside the pier area.

Thank you all for your replies.

We have been to several cruise ports throughout the Caribbean so I do expect there to be people selling things as thats how they make their living. I am not being paranoid, just asking as I've read many reviews and looked at several youtube videos and there doesn't appear to be much outside the pier gates. From what I've read, most cruise passengers either do a tour of some sort or stay on the ship. I haven't been able to find much about walking outside the pier area.

It has been a while since we have been to Roatan, and even longer since we bothered to walk around Coxen Hole outside the gates, but unless things have changed considerably I would say your perception is spot on.

Not wanting to be alarmist but there really is very little to do in Coxen Hole which is why many people will take an excursion. We have been visiting Roatan since before the port at Coxen Hole was developed and the port area is certainly improved but walking outside the gates to meet up with private vendors, and driving through the town on route to our destination, has never inspired to me to walk around again.

It used to be that a lot of children would "accompany" you as you walked, but I don't think that is quite as bad now. If you have somewhere in mind to visit I am sure you will be fine, taking normal precautions, but be pre-warned there is not a lot to do, or see.

Roatan is a spectacular island with tons of things to see and do...if you take an excursion. The island is long and narrow, with basically only one nice paved road running the length. It is best to take a tour as transportation is the issue to and from port. You just can't walk along sidewalks as there aren't any outside of the ports.

BUT....if you go on an excursion, you can shop when they drop you back off at port afterwards.

Just my 2 cents.

robin

I'd recommend taking a private taxi to West Bay Beach ($30 for a couple), and bringing your own snorkeling gear with you. The island is our favorite place to be, and Coxen Hole is the only place that's not set up for tourists. After visiting the island four times on cruises, my wife and I spent 7 nights on the beach in West Bay. A year later we stayed for another week, then came back a month later to close on a lot on the center of the island. It's been a month and a half since we last visited, and our flights are booked for September. Save yourself some money and book local. You won't regret the snorkeling right off the beach in West Bay. Enjoy your stop!