Visa for Australia entry

We are US citizens and are cruising from Sydney, Australia to Auckland, New Zealand in December. We are staying one night pre-cruise in Sydney. It is my understanding that we need to purchase a visa to enter Australia as well as having our passports with us.

How far in advance can I purchase our visas? How long are the visas good for? I have read they expire 3 months after purchase and I have read differenly as well. Also, what website is the safest to use? I have noticed there are a few sites that sell them.

Any other tips or suggestions on this topic would be appreciated.

Thank you!

We are US citizens and are cruising from Sydney, Australia to Auckland, New Zealand in December. We are staying one night pre-cruise in Sydney. It is my understanding that we need to purchase a visa to enter Australia as well as having our passports with us.

How far in advance can I purchase our visas? How long are the visas good for? I have read they expire 3 months after purchase and I have read differenly as well. Also, what website is the safest to use? I have noticed there are a few sites that sell them.

Any other tips or suggestions on this topic would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Don't use a middleman and pay extra - Australian visa is very easy to get online (in most case) through their government website. It says it's valid for a year and lets you stay up to 3 months at a time.

Start here: http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/601.aspx

Edited by Illyria

FYI, as you have probably seen from the link Illyria provided, the visa that you need to apply for is called an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA).

The ETA itself is free, but there is a A$20 service fee charged.

And, as everyone has already pointed out, use only the official Australian government website.

Travel agents will often obtain the ETA at no charge as a courtesy service for their clients. If you are working with a travel agent on this cruise, ask if they will get the ETAs for you for free.

FYI, as you have probably seen from the link Illyria provided, the visa that you need to apply for is called an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA).

And, as everyone has already pointed out, use only the official Australian government website.

Travel agents will often obtain the ETA at no charge as a courtesy service for their clients. If you are working with a travel agent on this cruise, ask if they will get the ETAs for you for free.

Being an electronic thingo, this means you dont actually get a physical Visa. The authority is digitally attached to your passports for Customs eyes only. You can keep the receipt with you but dont present it to Customs as they will look at you with blank faces:)

Something many Americans cannot get a grip of.

Our TA did this for us. We didn't even have to ask - he volunteered. IIRC all he needed was our passport numbers, birth dates and places. The Australian ETA is the easiest visa we've ever obtained.

• 4 months later...

I went to what I thought was the government one and it said my fee was $135. did I go to the wrong site. I thought it was only $35

I went to what I thought was the government one and it said my fee was $135. did I go to the wrong site. I thought it was only $35

I figured it out. I went to the site someone mentioned above and it only cost me $14 for each Visa. Happy girl. One step closer to being ready for our cruise in about 5 months.

Obtained ours yesterday $9.95 each

Www easyeta dot com

I put the application in yesterday afternoon and by evening had an email confirmation that the visa was approved and that my ETA visa ihas been electronically linked to our passport numbers.

Just want to note that the ETA (that is what it is called) is good for one year from the date you purchase it and unlike a visa that you apply for via hard copy you can get it instantaneously. Just have your passport in front of you along with a credit card to fill out the on line form.

Keith

Being an electronic thingo, this means you dont actually get a physical Visa. The authority is digitally attached to your passports for Customs eyes only. You can keep the receipt with you but dont present it to Customs as they will look at you with blank faces:)

Something many Americans cannot get a grip of.

It is electronic and attached to your passport number in the computer system, but DO KEEP A COPY OF THE RECEIPT and keep it with your other travel documents. I have had issues with my passport bing unable to be read, so having the paper copy of the ETA receipt was definitely valuable.