Theford Grey or Royston?

QueenMab

For those of you who used Thenford, did it take a little while before her confirmed your tour reservation? I booked online for my March cruise about a week ago and still have not had any confirmation.

When I booked with Thenford Grey for our up-coming March 18th cruise on RCCL's Adventure of the Seas he got back to me almost immediately, I think the next day. That was several months ago. I just reconfirmed with him the day before yesterday and he got back by email within hours to confirm our reservation and to express his looking forward to meeting us "if God so wills."

We booked "TheTour" with Thenford Grey on our trip last week. We were all very happy with the level of service, attention, knowledge, and the extra effort thenford put into the tour. Thenford picked us up at the port in an AC equipped bus. There were 5 people in our party plus another couple for a total of 7 people. The bus was plenty large enough to allow us to spread out and not be crammed on top of each other. We had no issues with his driving, and never felt the need to grab onto something like we have riding with some tour operators in the past. He was very knowledgeable and had the answers to all questions thrown at him. Thenford is very articulate, and we had absolutely no trouble understanding him while he was explaining the island to us (we've had tour guides in the past where we could barely understand what they were saying). During our visit to Romney Manor, Thenford was able to explain, in detail, all the local flora and fauna as we walked through the gardens. The visit to Brimstone Fortress was very interesting, and I was surprised at his ability to maneuver the bus through the tight entrances to the fortress (I think I would have had trouble getting my car through those archways, let alone a bus). We stopped at Cockleshell Beach for 2 hours at the end of our tour. The water was warm, however it wasn't as clear as other Carib beaches I've been to. I decided not to bring my snorkel gear on this tour, and was kinda relieved when I saw the poor visibility. I heard several snorkelers commment on the cloudy water. Overall, we were all very satisfied with the tour, and rate it as one of the more enjoyable we have taken in our 7 trips to the Carib.

We toured with Thenford Grey last week and couldn't have been more pleased. We did see another tour bus that had open windows. Since, we did have some brief showers it was nice to be inside the air conditioned bus. We've been on many tours, on many islands and I don't think we've ever had such a nice bus on a private tour. But the highlight of the tour is Thenford himself. He's so articulate and a really nice person. As in the previous post, he was so informative. If you want a really good tour, in a really nice bus by a real gentleman--pick Thenford.

We toured with Thenford Grey last week and couldn't have been more pleased. We did see another tour bus that had open windows. Since, we did have some brief showers it was nice to be inside the air conditioned bus. We've been on many tours, on many islands and I don't think we've ever had such a nice bus on a private tour. But the highlight of the tour is Thenford himself. He's so articulate and a really nice person. As in the previous post, he was so informative. If you want a really good tour, in a really nice bus by a real gentleman--pick Thenford.

If you book, do you get him as your tour guide or does he hire others?

He has other drivers working with him depending how large the group is. We had Kevin as our guide/driver and he was excellent, very informative and fun. Thenford drove the other mini van ahead of us. I guess you could specify if you wanted to ride with Thenford.

• 5 months later...
I would definitely vote for Royston , the day we had with him on 4th Feb with another couple was the highlight of our cruise . Everything as stated in other posts , and all for 45 dollars . He could easily charge more , this includes admission fees , drinks and lunch . We even drove along the beach in a small fishing village and he took us past his house . , where his dad waved too us ! nothing was to much trouble , if we return to St Kitts would certainly book with him again .:)

Do you have a website for Royston?

What did you have for lunch?

For about $39/person he took us everyplace. He greeted Grumpy that me with a big smile and a big hug. Now that is an amazing site to see beings I'm a big guy..:<) We stopped at his home and even saw his brother. We did not do a beach this time with him. But have in the past. If it was important to see we saw it. We had drinks and snacks. The more people you bring the better the price/person. You will NOT be disapointed...:D

• 4 weeks later...

From everything I have read here is a comparison of the two tours:

Royston

The tour circles the WHOLE ISLAND - The town of Basseterre, the Caribbean side (Brimstone Hill, Caribelle Batik, Timothy Hill) and the Atlantic side (including the jagged black volcanic rocks on the northeast side of the island). The circle tour takes about 5 hours, then go to lunch and the beach.

Includes lunch and drinks

Goes to South Friar Beach for lunch, snorkeling/swimming

Cost $45US, including lunch and admission to Brimstone Hill

Thenford Grey

The tour goes to Basseterre, Brimstone Hill, Caribelle Batik, and Timothy Hill. The tour takes 3-4 hours, then goes to the beach.

Includes water to drink

Goes to Cockleshell Beach for snorkeling/swimming

Cost $48US, including admission to Brimstone Hill

There are many positive reviews of both of these men and their tours.

I booked with Royston for the Island Tour for our trip in November, 2012, primarily because his tour circles the island. We have been to Brimstone Hill (a must-see if you have not been there before!) and Carabelle Batik. We want to revisit them see the rest of the island as well.

We have booked with Thenford Grey for "The Tour" for March 20. I mentioned Cruise Critic in my email and he gave me a discounted price of $39 instead of $48 for Cruise Critic members, cash or travellers cheques at the start of the excursion.

1) All of Thenford Grey's vehicles are fully air conditioned, each seat has its adjustable air vents to afford each passenger the luxury of setting the air flow (just like an aircraft). This you may find particularly helpful in temperatures that average in the eighties but feel like the nineties.

2)The Toyota Coaster has enough head-room to allow a 6ft 6in man to stand.

3)Large, clear windows offer 360-degree views of the scenery.

4)There is an effective sound system to allow passengers to hear every word of the interesting commentary. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Both do a great job at what each does. If you wish to ride in a large air conditioned coaster bus with many and see the island, then Thenford is the answer but if you want a more personal tour for a small group(2-6) then Royston is your answer. They are 2 very different types of tours & operators.

I was on St. Kitts a week and a half ago and went with a group from our roll call on Royston. We had 10 in the van. Our driver was not Royston himself, but I have never had a better tour. We circled the island with lots of commentary and conversation along the way, stops for photos, visits to Caribelle Batik Factory and the fortress and then lunch on one of the beaches. By then we were tired, so no one went in the water, but we could have.

My experience with Royston was not favorable. His van was old, rusty, had a wood block for a brake, cracked windshield and took out the windows to get air. Further, he drove his suspect tour van "off road" into fields, barely a path to be found. I thought his knowledge of the island was excellent and we did indeed circle the island and went from top to bottom, however, his driving methods were very daredevilish. When I expressed dismay with his risk taking driving, he further exacerbated the situation by doing even more stunts thinking he was funny, i.e. driving to the unfenced ledge of a cliff. I was so embarrassed and frightened, I thought I was going to be ill. The excursion was to be 4-4-1/2 hours - It ended up being a 7 hour long, uncomfortable experience.

I would not recommend him, his "van" or his risk-taking driving (especially given the shape of his van)!!

My experience with Royston was not favorable. His van was old, rusty, had a wood block for a brake, cracked windshield and took out the windows to get air. Further, he drove his suspect tour van "off road" into fields, barely a path to be found. I thought his knowledge of the island was excellent and we did indeed circle the island and went from top to bottom, however, his driving methods were very daredevilish. When I expressed dismay with his risk taking driving, he further exacerbated the situation by doing even more stunts thinking he was funny, i.e. driving to the unfenced ledge of a cliff. I was so embarrassed and frightened, I thought I was going to be ill. The excursion was to be 4-4-1/2 hours - It ended up being a 7 hour long, uncomfortable experience.

I would not recommend him, his "van" or his risk-taking driving (especially given the shape of his van)!!

Oh that is too bad. We actually had two groups, and Royston drove the other group while his associate drove ours. The van we were in was relatively new and in good condition. Our driver stayed on the roads and never scared me which is saying something as I can be an anxious passenger. I don't know what the others experienced with Royston himself. I just know my experience which really was great.

Sounds like fun to me.

This certainly does NOT sound like fun to me.

Thank you for posting. Guess we'll count him out.

This certainly does NOT sound like fun to me.

Thank you for posting. Guess we'll count him out.

I would never tell someone not to count someone out, but I would encourage you to read other reviews, perhaps go to tripadvisor.com as well as here. Our roll call group chose Royston because of the good reviews.

That is not to discount Canucks4 experience, just to say there are other experiences as well. Of course, we all have different views of similar experiences, and our views are neither right nor wrong, just ours and, therefore, valid.

Hi Folks

Just wondering about taking a island tour and maybe stopping to beach/snorkel at Carambola Beach. I tried to e-mail Royston but was kicked back as undeliverable. Does anyone have a contact that would work?

Thanks

Mary Ann

• 2 weeks later...
Both do a great job at what each does. If you wish to ride in a large air conditioned coaster bus with many and see the island, then Thenford is the answer but if you want a more personal tour for a small group(2-6) then Royston is your answer. They are 2 very different types of tours & operators.

Last year, we took the island tour that included the beach. The tour with Thenford was the best tour we have ever taken. There was only 6 people in our van. Thenford asked how long we wanted at the beach-all went snorkeling, we agreed for 1 1/2 hours. Other people that I tod about Thenford all said that the Thenford tour was the highlite of their cruise.

We recently returned from a tour with Ashton of Royston Tours. He was a very knowledgeable guide, had a nice air conditioned van, and was a safe driver. But, he spent a bit too much time on unimportant details, leaving little time for Brimstone Hill Fortress (45 minutes) and the beach--only 2 of us elected to stay since the rest were tired and only had an hour. I was glad to see all the places we went, but would not recommend the tour if you get bored easily and don't want to spend the whole day riding around in a van. Just my opinion.