Norvo Virus on QM2

shorebilly

Currently on the QM2 Dec 19th sailing, quite an outbreak on board. Many passengers quarantined to their cabins, including our 12 yr old son for xmas eve, xmas and part of next day, and a few passengers expelled from the ship in Curacao for failing to maintain their quarantine.

We had it onboard for a week back in October, it started in NYC and was delt with very well, I would around 4 days, everything that could be moved was, games, condiments, jig saw puzzels, extra hand washing.

it would have been better had the passengers been more hygenic and used the sani gel in the Buffets etc.

I am sure this ourbreak will soon be over with,I hope your son is better by now as well and that his Christmas was Okay

We had it onboard for a week back in October, it started in NYC and was delt with very well, I would around 4 days, everything that could be moved was, games, condiments, jig saw puzzels, extra hand washing.

it would have been better had the passengers been more hygenic and used the sani gel in the Buffets etc.

I am sure this ourbreak will soon be over with,I hope your son is better by now as well and that his Christmas was Okay

First we have heard of this outbreak in October, but l guess Cunard and their so called White Star Service would want to keep it quiet on this occasion.

If l am correct here, this has only been brought to light because one so called Lord and Lady Prescott are apparantly on board at this moment in time and enjoying a very luxurious suite to boot!

Happy Cruising All

Best

Judy

Hi Shorebilly. Very sorry that your son and some of your fellow passengers have been taken ill. I hope your son is feeling better now. It was good of you to take the time to post the news; we read reports of the outbreak in the media and felt very badly for those who were expecting something entirely different for Christmas. I hope the situation improves quickly.

Some good news for you: the bilizzard that hit the Northeast yesterday should have no effect on your trip home from Brooklyn next Monday. Travel for the past two days has been darn near impossible, but the weather forecast indicates the temperature will rise over the weekend.

Please give my regards to your son...he's really an experienced cruise veteran now.

Best wishes,

Salacia

First we have heard of this outbreak in October, but l guess Cunard and their so called White Star Service would want to keep it quiet on this occasion.

If l am correct here, this has only been brought to light because one so called Lord and Lady Prescott are apparantly on board at this moment in time and enjoying a very luxurious suite to boot!

Happy Cruising All

Best

Judy

Seems there was a huge outbreak all along the east coast and canada, it was delt with very well,id have thought everyone knew of it, clearly not though. Im sure you can google it

I dont think anyone did a "live from" on that voyage either,

Yikes! I live in NY and didn't know about any huge outbreak of Noro on the East Coast and Canada or the QM2 last October...better yet I didn't catch it nor did anyone I know (just luckly I guess). :)

As long as we're on the topic....does anyone know of any other Noro outbreaks this year on QM2 in addition to incidents in October and the current December cruise? My impression was that Noro was very rare on QM2 compared with other ships. Thanks. -Salacia

Yikes! I live in NY and didn't know about any huge outbreak of Noro on the East Coast and Canada or the QM2 last October...better yet I didn't catch it nor did anyone I know (just luckly I guess). :)

As long as we're on the topic....does anyone know of any other Noro outbreaks this year on QM2 in addition to incidents in October and the current December cruise? My impression was that Noro was very rare on QM2 compared with other ships. Thanks. -Salacia

I really didn't hear or know of anyone getting sick(sea sick, different story)For once I really saw folks making good use of the sanitizers.

Currently on the QM2 Dec 19th sailing, quite an outbreak on board. Many passengers quarantined to their cabins, including our 12 yr old son for xmas eve, xmas and part of next day, and a few passengers expelled from the ship in Curacao for failing to maintain their quarantine.

Hi Shorebilly. Please forgive this delayed reaction, but if I understand your post correctly, a few passengers ill with the Noro virus were ordered to disembark in Curacao because they violated ship quarantine orders. I wonder how the port authories in Curacao dealt with these (apparently contagious) passengers.

Are any ports turning the ship away due the outbreak? I guess that would depend on the number of reported cases...Obviously, I have no experience of being on a ship when Noro strikes. Perhaps when you return home, you will share your experience please. In the meantime, I hope things are going well on board.

Best wishes,

Salacia

Sorry to learn of your son's illness. Hope he is continuing to improve. Thank you for sharing news of the Norovirus. As I am on the January 3rd sailing, any updates you can provide about the situation would be most appreciated.

Hope everything else goes well for you.

Bobby

Happy Cruising All

Best

Judy

You maybe correct, QM2 delt with problem, everyone was made to use the gel and asked to wash hands more often and better, only a few we kept in cabins, it lasted a few days.

If I find time I will photocopt the letter they gave everyone.

We had a substantial Norovirus outbreak during the NY-San Fransisco segment of the 2007 QE2 world cruise. I was spared, fortunately.

I spoke with the CDC agents who boarded the ship in Acapulco to determine whether QE2 would be cleared for entry into Los Angeles. They stated that the protocols Cunard had implemented to deal with the outbreak went above and beyond what was required. They also noted there was little for them to do and that what Cunard had already done could serve as an example to other cruise lines.

When we arrived in LA, everyone was required to vacate the vessel which was "super-sanitized" (we all were given complimentary shore excursions). When we arrived a day later in San Francisco, the media, of course, was waiting for us, armed with cameras and mikes to interview passengers going ashore from the "death ship" which had just docked. LOL.

The outbreak was successfully contained, and there were no further outbreaks during the next 3 months of the cruise.

I recall that handrails and hard surfaces such as table tops and elevator buttons were being continually wiped down, salt and pepper shakers were removed from the Lido, puzzles and magazines disappeared, and all Officers' parties canceleled. Captain Ian McNaught was a great cheerleader in his daily announcements, keeping us well-informed and encouraging us to continue to follow the personal health and hygiene routines that were being recommended.

I am hoping that the same protocols have been implemented onboard Queen Mary 2 and that the Norovirus currently being reported will be effectively addressed.

Looking forward to having a great time again in less than a week on the January 3rd sailing!

Bobby

We had an outbreak on the QM2 in Sept. 06, enough to warrant no self-serve in the buffet for several days.

They had a similar one on the QE in early December and a friend reported to me that for several days there was no self-serve in the buffet which creates even longer lines at peak times.

I was aboard the QM2 in late October also and we had 3 cases in our immediate area on deck 4 and were told by a shopkeeper in Bar Harbor that several of the ships who had visited in the previous weeks had also had outbreaks although I had heard nothing about illness in my part of Canada.

I am also onboard the QM2, and I am under quarantine restrictions. I have been taking a keen interest in what the media have been told by Cunard as there appears to be great disparities between the truth and the information provided by Cunard. The media have been informed some 29 passengers have caught the virus, however, crew I have spoken too, place an extra 0 to the end of that figure as a more accurate depiction placing the true numbers in the hundreds.

The ship has undergone a 'deep sanitisation" what this means is the normal cleaning crew don some plastic gloves and take twice as long to clean as normal (with little difference as an end result).

The actions taking by Cunard are retroactive rather than proactive. little was done to prevent the illness nor the initial spread! it was not until the situation became critical did Cunard undertake its white wash cleansing routine.

I am upset that a 'respected' company like Cunard has such a hubristic view towards hygiene (it won't happen to us...), I am also very annoyed that the still (despite the red alert) little is being done to prevent further outbreaks! hand wash is not enforced upon the ingress or egress of the vessel and this worries me greatly. Furthermore, the messages we (as passengers) receive from the captain and management team, places the blame firmly with us, and yet, having spoken to several crew members, the virus was already onboard as several crew members were exhibiting symptoms. Cunard should be ashamed!

We had an outbreak on the QM2 in Sept. 06, enough to warrant no self-serve in the buffet for several days.

They had a similar one on the QE in early December and a friend reported to me that for several days there was no self-serve in the buffet which creates even longer lines at peak times.

I was aboard the QM2 in late October also and we had 3 cases in our immediate area on deck 4 and were told by a shopkeeper in Bar Harbor that several of the ships who had visited in the previous weeks had also had outbreaks although I had heard nothing about illness in my part of Canada.

Thank you for confirming the October outbreak, it really was dealt with very well and yes ohter shsips also had the probelm and every shop and restaurant had the sani gel for use-st John and Halfax all had the problem

I am also onboard the QM2, and I am under quarantine restrictions. I have been taking a keen interest in what the media have been told by Cunard as there appears to be great disparities between the truth and the information provided by Cunard. The media have been informed some 29 passengers have caught the virus, however, crew I have spoken too, place an extra 0 to the end of that figure as a more accurate depiction placing the true numbers in the hundreds.

The ship has undergone a 'deep sanitisation" what this means is the normal cleaning crew don some plastic gloves and take twice as long to clean as normal (with little difference as an end result).

The actions taking by Cunard are retroactive rather than proactive. little was done to prevent the illness nor the initial spread! it was not until the situation became critical did Cunard undertake its white wash cleansing routine.

I am upset that a 'respected' company like Cunard has such a hubristic view towards hygiene (it won't happen to us...), I am also very annoyed that the still (despite the red alert) little is being done to prevent further outbreaks! hand wash is not enforced upon the ingress or egress of the vessel and this worries me greatly. Furthermore, the messages we (as passengers) receive from the captain and management team, places the blame firmly with us, and yet, having spoken to several crew members, the virus was already onboard as several crew members were exhibiting symptoms. Cunard should be ashamed!

I am sorry that you are suffering, the way it was dealt with back in October was indeed amazing, restroom doors all cleaned and left open, hand rails, painting anywhere that could be touched was washed and washed again and again and again, games, puzzels etc were all taken away, hand gel was everywhere and while we had quite a few who had the problem got better fast, I was impressed by the action taken by cunard.

If as you say it was already on the ship then that really is bad,I hope you are better very soon

I think you were very lucky, there are some sites that show how many ships are affected by the virus each year, however from what I can see not all ship are shown, so not reported???????????

It is a constant problem. Many people do not wash their hands after going to the bathroom. These people do not wash when at home so why on the ship.

Just watch how many women and men leave the restrooms without washing.

How about the ones who take food with their hands in the Kings Court.

Very interesting posts from fellow CC members indicate that they witnessed Norovirus outbreaks on QM2 three of the four past months (September, October and December).

This information is suprising to me, and I almost hate to ask...but are there any other reports of outbreaks on QM2 in 2010? Thanks. -Salacia

I'm not sure what more Cunard or any cruise line can do to prevent these outbreaks other than follow standard hygiene procedures and reporting requirements and to try to educate passengers and crew about how to protect themselves. Noro is a highly infectious virus and, sadly, many people are ignorant/lax concerning basic hygiene - you only have to watch the lack of hand washing or ineffective washing that is displayed in public lavatories. I can't count the number of times I have seen women exit the stall on QM2, brush their hair or reapply makeup and head back out without hand washing, usually handling the door on the way out so ensuring that even those who have washed are contaminated if they touch the same surface - I can't believe the men are any better!

Yes, it is true that we as passengers are responsible for good personal hygiene, as are the staff and crew. Ship management bears responsiblity for proper health measures on a broader scale. For example, as I commented previously on other threads, I was concerned when the water supply was cut off throughout the ship for several hours during the Dec 8 voyage and management made no provision of gratis bottled water with instructions to use it for hand washing after using the toilet during the hours tap water was unavailable.

Does anyone else have experience of the ship's water supply being shut off on other recent voyages? -And if so, were any provisions made for water to use for hand washing?

BTW, I undersand others have observed women leaving the WC without having washed their hands, and I agree that is awful. But my experience is different: in 8 voyages, I've never seen a few passenger or crew member who did not wash their hands after using the facilities. Oddly enough, I've never been on board when there was a noro outbreak either. (Am I lucky, or what!)

Regards,

Salacia

Very interesting posts from fellow CC members indicate that they witnessed Norovirus outbreaks on QM2 three of the four past months (September, October and December).
The only reference to norovirous in September in this thread occurred in 2006...

I'm not sure what more Cunard or any cruise line can do to prevent these outbreaks other than follow standard hygiene procedures and reporting requirements and to try to educate passengers and crew about how to protect themselves. Noro is a highly infectious virus and, sadly, many people are ignorant/lax concerning basic hygiene - you only have to watch the lack of hand washing or ineffective washing that is displayed in public lavatories. I can't count the number of times I have seen women exit the stall on QM2, brush their hair or reapply makeup and head back out without hand washing, usually handling the door on the way out so ensuring that even those who have washed are contaminated if they touch the same surface - I can't believe the men are any better!

I couldn't agree more here. I have also witnessed the same in rest rooms on board.

I think the crew are pretty well educated on this to be honest. But it's the same old story about taking the horse to water! Or in many a case it appears, closing the stable door!

For some time now l have carried antiseptic hand tissues with me both on board ship and ashore. It only takes a minute to wipe and cleanse hands, particularly prior to eating.

Ironically, when doing this, we always tend to get rather strange looks from others....almost as though we are hygenically paranoid.

Ah well.

Best

Judy

Archived