Need Advice for 1st Seabourn Cruise

TV Dad

In a few days, we embark on our first Seabourn cruise. We are experienced cruisers (Princess, Holland America, Carnival, etc.) but newbies to the upscale ships. We are sailing Seabourn Legend -- Caribbean.

So give us your advice. What should we expect to be different?

1. Can we order off the menu?

2. Can we really ask for caviar and champagne by the pool?

3. Do they deploy the water sports deck in port every day? Or just once a cruise?

4. Is a sport coat or suit expected at dinner every night or is it more casual?

5. Do folks wear tuxes and gowns on formal night?

6. I understand tipping is not required, but is it acceptable for exemplary service? If so, do you suggest tipping at the end of the cruise or as we see fit?

7. What else should we be prepared for?

Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions!

You can order off the menu but do give 24 hrs notice.

You can eat caviar and drink champagne by the pool. Check your itinerary to see if Caviar in the Surf is offered, it's likely to be as you're cruising the Caribbean. The crew will serve you caviar and champagne, a bit like on the SB promo pics. Those who like caviar tend to very much enjoy this event. I personally can't stand the stuff, nor do I like the SB house champagne so it's a non event for me although it makes for some great photos.

I've been on several Seabourn cruises, only one was not a warm weather cruise and the marina (water sports deck) has never been used on any of my cruises. :( Look at your itinerary in My Seabourn - it should show if you have a marina day scheduled. They definitely don't open it up every day.

For the dress code, please refer to your specific cruise documentation, or check on My Seabourn, as the dress code has recently changed but I'm not sure if it's been implemented across all ships on all itineraries just yet.

Many people dont wear tuxes and gowns on formal night. But lots to do. Your choice. Again, it's a good idea to familiarise yourself with the dress code.

Please do not tip even if the service is outstanding, On a couple of occasions at the end of a cruise I was quite mortified to see a few men walk around and not so discreetly palm some money off on a favorite server or bar waiter. The only tipping exception I make is to my stewardess --- we leave a small silk purse with money in it when we vacate the suite. If you are very happy with the service and want to reward the hard working crew you can go to the reception desk and make a donation to the CreW Welfare Fund. It goes to help with general recreation for all crew and emergency help for individuals. And second write the name of crew members during your cruise and jot specific notes about special service you received, then when you return home include that information on your Post Cruise Survey.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Please do not tip even if the service is outstanding, On a couple of occasions at the end of a cruise I was quite mortified to see a few men walk around and not so discreetly palm some money off on a favorite server or bar waiter. The only tipping exception I make is to my stewardess --- we leave a small silk purse with money in it when we vacate the suite. If you are very happy with the service and want to reward the hard working crew you can go to the reception desk and make a donation to the CreW Welfare Fund. It goes to help with general recreation for all crew and emergency help for individuals. And second write the name of crew members during your cruise and jot specific notes about special service you received, then when you return home include that information on your Post Cruise Survey.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

I was also going to mention the Crew Fund. To the OP, Seabourn will spoil you completely. The only way we have been able to return to mass market ships (for specific itineraries we want) is to book a top level suite. On Seabourn, it makes no difference which cabin you choose, we were all First Class.:D

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was also going to mention the Crew Fund. To the OP, Seabourn will spoil you completely. The only way we have been able to return to mass market ships (for specific itineraries we want) is to book a top level suite. On Seabourn, it makes no difference which cabin you choose, we were all First Class.:D

Champagne is available just about everywhere you can imagine and will gladly be poured on request. You can even order a glass of champagne while in the salon. About the only place I have not ordered champagne is while working out in the gym. ;-)

I am not a fan of caviar by the pool, but frequently we will order up a serving of caviar, cheese plate and a glass of champagne while getting ready for the evening. Since we have a little nibble we don't feel compelled to be the first ones in the MDR.

I have not been on a mainstream line, but if I compare mainstream cruising to a typical Caribbean resort I would say that the daytime dress was slightly more upscale. You didn't see a lot of printed tshirts or super casual workout wear unless someone was seen just coming from the gym. Women wore modest length shorts, capris, or sundresses most of the days in the Caribbean. Men wore khaki or plaid shorts with either knit polo shirts, Hawaiian shirts or guayabera shirts.

My first Seabourn cruise was in the Caribbean and I brought a long dress, but have decided it is just not necessary a simple cocktail dress and some nice jewelry with an evening bag is all that is required.

The new dress code relaxes the coat rule for men, but I personally think you will still see a majority of men wearing/carrying a jacket in the evening.

I have never tipped above my fare.

I agree w/ the comments that if you want to add something then visit the Purser and contribute to the Crew fund. The official policy is: "tipping is neither required nor expected" and I have found that to be true and to many it is a very appealing aspect of Seabourn. I have never seen a member of the crew acting as if they expected something "extra". Unfortunately I too have seen some pax, not too subtly, hand over cash. (If someone really went above and beyond and you want to give them something then please be discreet about it). We usually leave our stewardess something at the end of the cruise, after we have left our room (no need to make a production) and I have on a couple of occasions bought a round of drinks for some of the crew we ran into on-shore, which they don't expect and very much appreciated.

Edited by 2SailingNomads

You are probably aware that the smaller ships ie Spirit, Legend and Pride have been by Seabourn so you will be on one of the almost last sailings. What you will experience will not only be different to what you have sailed on before, but also what is represented by the remaining (newer and larger 450 pax) Seabourn ships.

To address your questions:

1. Yes - you can even have it served in your suite

2. Yes - with some planning

3. Yes - ie usually only once.

4. Yes - ie there are few truly formal nights and dress is such that you can be comfortable in a jacket anytime, but it's only necessary on formal nights. Check your booking details to see how many of these there are. Usually 1 per week.

5. Yes - but probably about 20%. With 40% wearing suits and the rest jackets.

6. No. If you want to tip make a contribution to the Crew Fund through Guest Services.

7. Good food, good service and good company is the norm. If you have a sea day towards the end of the cruise enjoy the Galley Lunch.

Assuming that you have checked the 'sticky' thread about referral coupons and are set up for you $400 on-board credit, if you have any of this left at the end of the cruise (apart from excursions it can be difficult to spend money on board!) that can be donated to the Crew Fund. I wish I'd known this on our first cruise, when, on the last night, we had a mini-spree of non-necessities in the shop to use ours up. While the Toblerones etc. were tasty we would have been happy to donate to the Crew Fund and now know how to do so.

The other really important thing to do is to name the person on the crew review cards, during and at the end of the voyage. Seabourn pay a LOT of attention to these, and they can form the basis of promotions and so increased salaries, worth a lot more to the crew member than a one off tip.

What ever you are expecting it is likely to be significantly better! At the end of our first Seabourn cruise we disembarked in Venice and met another couple who had been on board. As one of them remarked, "Do you know, I've been here for more than 24 hours and no one has offered me a glass of champagne?" We were all suffering from SB-withdrawal, even staying in a supposed 5* hotel. Which didn't come within a mile of SB service.

Happy cruising :)

... Unfortunately I too have seen some pax, not too subtly, hand over cash. (If someone really went above and beyond and you want to give them something then please be discreet about it). ...

So the guy I saw on my first cruise holding court in R2 on the final night handing out benjamins was doing it wrong.;)