sun loungers on sea days

Heather White

Soon to travel on the Sojourn. Is it hard to find a sun lounger on sea days? Is there a problem of cruisers "reserving" them, as happens in some hotels?

A few people do 'reserve' them, but it is not a problem as there are plenty to go round, and in various places as well - outside the Club, up on the very top deck if you like being in the sun with no shade, etc. etc. I suspect more sunbeds per passenger than on the small ships, and certainly more places to sit.

Thank you both for your information. One further question: what type of sockets are in the cabins? What sort of adaptors will we need for UK appliances?

There are both US 110v and European 220v round pin sockets. So you will need standard UK 3-square pin to continental Europe 2-pin adapter. I normally also take a 4-socket adapter bar (the square type is slightly better than the long straight one). There is a 220v European socket above the mini-bar where there is a nice clear flat area on which it can sit and I normally use that as a recharging point for laptop, phone batteries, camera batteries, toothbrush charger etc! (Wasn't life simpler in the pre-techno age?)

The usual caution applies about not plugging too many high wattage items in at the same time! But I am told by she who knows that the supplied hairdryer (which is US 110v) works adequately so unless you have your own plus heated rollers etc should not be a problem! You won't need a toaster or electric kettle - just call Room Service 24/7 and they'll bring anything you want. Have fun.

Edited by stamfordian

You'll be fine. There will be plenty of lounges, whether you want to move from sun to shade, or shade to sun. I am always amazed that so many have not gotten the memo that sun is BAD - caused cancer and wrinkles (and sun-browned skin in middle age is really not attractive) - but those in sun-starved climes tend to love the sun and grab when they can.

Edited by Pop-I

You'll be fine. There will be plenty of lounges, whether you want to move from sun to shade, or shade to sun. I am always amazed that so many have not gotten the memo that sun is BAD - caused cancer and wrinkles (and sun-browned skin in middle age is really not attractive) - but those in sun-starved climes tend to love the sun and grab when they can.

Ouch Popeye. Sun is nice on vacation. So many folks on these boards are way too judgmental, critical and cynical. I didn't get that from you before, but you are starting to sound more like the usual posters. I hope you don't get like those folks.

Who is being judgmental now?

Pop-I was stating a fact about the risk of sun damage and then made a personal observation that you can take or leave.

Would you be happier if he/she said it might be a good idea for those who stay in the sun over an hour between 11:00 and 15:00 - in certain geographical areas and times of the year when the sun is at certain positions and especially if you have light to medium skin- to limit their time in the sun to 30 minutes and use factor 20 and above liberally?

Well, that is what a dermatologist will tell you if you ask and he/she believes it will do some good.

Happy sailing!

Whirld

i don't think Pop-i was being judgemental just stating the facts…

living in a clime where the sun burns you ferociously in 15 mins in summer I often find it hard to understand why so many from the northern hemisphere get aggro when I put up an umbrella (usually umbrellas can't be moved)

I'd also like a $ for every time one of those sun worshippers came to dinner and couldn't sit down or provided heat and light for everyone else…

Heather I find it not too bad to find a lounger if you are happy to be flexible with where you sit…..

Those of us who do not get much sun at home do need our 20 minutes a day or so for the vitamin D; in my case and most peoples with a factor 20 or so sunscreen on, and not in the middle of the day.

We know too much is very bad for you, and in recent years I have not seen anyone with a case of sunburn on board, and I actually think a light tan looks becoming even on older faces. British women's skin tends not to be too wrinkly in older age, because of our climate.

Factor 20 …bahhhhhh

50+ here is derigeur

I was a a naughty girl today and went out naked (well without screen) at 2pm… I now have pink arms (dark hair/dark eyes) and its only first of spring

I can walk around in the south of france midsummer and not have an issue

(only adding this info cos I know people read without commenting and our cruise season is just about to start

)

MrsWaldo,

I defer to you and stand corrected. It's factor 50 going forward for my limited sun exposure sessions.

And I hope your experience travels and sets into the routines of those who are exposing themselves excessively to the damage the sun can cause them.

Happy sailing!

We were on Paul Gaugin and prayed that they had more shade. Very limited and people came out very early and reserved the 10 loungers and most never came back or came late n the day. We finally asked if we could have the 2 in shade that no one had been using all day. He hesitated but finally let us have them. An hour later a gal who had been in the sun all day came back to what she called HER CHAISES. We said the staff had given them to us. She screamed and yelled and we felt like criminals. Another reason not to sail with PG. The Staff did nothing. We need the shade cancer issues. So far even on the little sisters we have been able to find shade. Hopefully on the Son it will not be an issue.

That's just poor management

I have been guilty of lounge hogging….

Put my book on the lounge and went back to suite to get hat and extra sunscreen/ change into pool attire (same deck)… interesting dock on the teev

3 hours later I woke up…..

My worst hogging experience was in Santiago post cruise… boutique hotel 10 rooms… 8 loungers by the pool… 2 people on a lounge each no one else in sight…. OK 2 crumpled towels in shade so I assumed the people had left…

nope…. the couple in the sun, who also had their books on the 2 loungers in partial shade and sunscreen/ hats on the loungers which would be full sun later in the afternoon (yep.. they had reserved ALL the loungers by the pool for themselves)

A few years ago on Pride, first morning of an 18 day cruise, I am having my swim about 7am and a couple belonging to a

"nationality renowned for reserving sun lounges" came and placed towels, books and sun hats on the two lounges on the small deck, portside aft next to the pool, then disappeared.

I didn't see them use the two sun lounges all day, so the next morning when they repeated the performance, I took all their things off the lounges and put them in the used towel locker.

They didn't do it again.

You did everyone a favor by unreserving their sun loungers!

They should know that they are no longer in their home country when they are on a Seabourn ship. Most people do. I suppose that they had to learn the hard way- with your active assistance. Travel is broadening.

I will keep an eye out for them on my next cruise. Of course, if they bring their own chairs and towels then they can do what they like and everyone will appreciate that they are demonstrably proud of their own customs.

Happy sailing!

I never had problems with sun loungers on my cruises. Id always get up before breakfast and clear every last personal item from the deck either dumping it in lost/found or taking it to lost/found (Depending upon the line). Post breakfast I do the same.

The problem, Norty, with your rush to judgment is that some poor soul who enjoys the sunrise may be merely using the loo. Unless Seabourn is paying you to police the lounges, why is it your problem?? Relax. You sound obsessed.

Edited by Pop-I

I don't know for how long anyone watches a sunrise but if the towel draper/book & sunglasses leaver doesn't use the chaise he shouldn't reserve it. Maybe 15 minutes is long enough to gauge intentions. But I do believe that 15 minutes is long enough to use the loo, unless someone is ill. If so, then they don't need a chaise. They need to see the ship's doctor. Viruses are contagious.

Happy sailing!