I need HELP on my family travel plan!

Defdan

My wife four children and I will be traveling to the Bahamas in three weeks. We are on Carnival going to Freeport and Nassau. My plan is to take the double deck catamaran with snorkel in Freeport. This is through Shoretrips

http://www.shoretrips.com/common/search4.asp?rcode=CAR&lcode=FPO&tcode=008470 . Because we are only in Freeport from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. The next day we are in Nassau for a full 24 hrs 7:00 am to 7:00 am. So I plan to rent a car from Bahama Buggies and explore the Island http://www.bahamabuggies.com/. We would like to see the forts and the Ardastra Gardens. And look for a quiet beach. My childern are 10,8,6,and 4. Does this sound like a good plan? Anything you would change? I really appreciate any input.

2nd cruise for parents 1st for kids.

Thank you,

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Are you getting 2 cars from the rental place? I didn't see a van listed in their pricing. I am also traveling with 4 kids. I am really stuck on what to do that day. It seems like the resorts do not want kids and I am not sure which public beaches are good with kids.

Thanks

Joanne

My wife four children and I will be traveling to the Bahamas in three weeks. We are on Carnival going to Freeport and Nassau. My plan is to take the double deck catamaran with snorkel in Freeport. This is through Shoretrips

http://www.shoretrips.com/common/search4.asp?rcode=CAR&lcode=FPO&tcode=008470 . Because we are only in Freeport from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. The next day we are in Nassau for a full 24 hrs 7:00 am to 7:00 am. So I plan to rent a car from Bahama Buggies and explore the Island http://www.bahamabuggies.com/. We would like to see the forts and the Ardastra Gardens. And look for a quiet beach. My childern are 10,8,6,and 4. Does this sound like a good plan? Anything you would change? I really appreciate any input.

2nd cruise for parents 1st for kids.

Thank you,

Dan

I don't think bahamabuggies rents in Nassau. I'm not sure you really need a car. Everything you are looking to do is within a mile or so of the dock.

A jitney or cab (most are vans or limos) would do the trick.

There really are no SAFE quiet beaches except the one that's located just outside of town. A short walk from the british colonial, or first stop on the jitney. (Fort Charlotte and the street where Ardastra Gardens is located are just across the street), Arawak Cay's fish fry is just next door.

This is all in the same general area.

Be aware ... some stretches of beach may look like a great quiet place to hang out, but there's a reason noone uses them. There's terrible undertows and riptides. This is especially true along West Bay Street, past Arawak Cay.

There's also beaches in the south that have roots and sandbars that can be dangerous. Just because a beach looks pretty, doesn't make it safe.

Stay with the public beaches (Junkanoo or Montegue) or hotel beaches.

We had a layover in Nassau this past August. We had several hours to kill and decided to rent a car. We didn't have prior reservations, just took care of it at the airport. We drove to the fort -- BIG waste of time in our opinion. We were spoiled by the fantastic forts in PR. I believe we stayed an entire 10 minutes!

We then headed to Ardastra Gardens. GORGEOUS! My husband said it was worth our entire 2 week trip just going there! You've got to do the bird feeding! It's big fun. And those marching flamingos! Very cool. Try going in the morning if it's a hot day. It was very warm, but then again it was August!

I can't recommend a beach -- we've stayed at Atlantis twice though. I heard it's expensive to get a day pass, but I really don't know. We personally won't stay at the Atlantis again -- too many people, but your kids would LOVE the pools. You may want to check on a price of a day pass and head there after the Gardens.

Have fun!

Robin

We will be there for 6 nights (we leave Feb 11) and have large group of family and friends. Thanks for the above link to shoretrips...sounds like fun.

We will be doing the garden, at least one catamaran, tour the town and visit Atlantis after most of the group does the Dolphin encounter. when will you be there?

Archived