Bow tie, to tie or not to tie...

glojo

Do we buy pre tied bow ties  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Do we buy pre tied bow ties

• I tie or my partner\wife\girlfriend\boyfriend ties it
    • Pre made tie

My daughter is giving me stick for insisting on tieing my bow tie, she states that no one ties their own tie and we all now buy these ready made things. Am I in the minority?

I just feel these pre-made things look so false and just do not look right but that is me.

My daughter is giving me stick for insisting on tieing my bow tie, she states that no one ties their own tie and we all now buy these ready made things. Am I in the minority?

I just feel these pre-made things look so false and just do not look right but that is me.

I know I should tie my own, but I don't.

I have one of each (black self-tie, a dark pre-tied that has some subtle pattern, with a matching cummerbund). I pull out the pre-tied tie for variety or if my self-tie is giving me fits.

I think it makes a difference - during the cocktail parties DW and I play "spot the real tie" because the knots on the pre-tied ones always look too good. (I think there's a potential market for pre-tied ties that look self-tied.)

If you have a pre-tied one, be aware that there are good and not-so-good designs. The good ones fasten behind the neck and there's a small bit of fabric that covers the clasp so it doesn't show if you're wearing a wing collar. The not-so-good design (common on wedding rental tuxes in my observation) fastens near the bow and has a consipuous clasp no matter what collar you wear. I noticed one or two of these on my last QM2 voyage.

Never have owned a bow tie ( except as a kid) . Always tied my own ties,

Hi Kamloops,

Are you saying you do not wear a bow tie with formal eveningwear?

Apologies for being so thick and I am not suggesting what is right or wrong, just querying the type of tie.

Thanks everyone for contributing

John

Pre-tied bow ties always look a little too perfectly tied for me. A bow tie that appears not quite symmetric shows a man who has the time, inclination and knowledge to dress for the occasion.

There is an authenticity factor too and personally I feel more authentic when I'm in one.

Hi Kamloops,

Are you saying you do not wear a bow tie with formal eveningwear?

Apologies for being so thick and I am not suggesting what is right or wrong, just querying the type of tie.

Thanks everyone for contributing

John

Never have worn a Tux just a nice black suit with tie. Are renting a Tux for our next cruise. Cheaper than carrying an extra bag for formal wear.

A wing collar with black tie? I don't think so.
During the Edwardian era, the practice of wearing a black waistcoat and black bow tie with a tuxedo became the convention, establishing the basis of the current black tie and white tie dress codes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_tie

It will probably upset you further to learn that my dinner jacket has a notch lapel...

When we went on our first cruise in 2010, I decided to have my first ever go at tying my own bow tie. I had no idea how to do it, so YouTube became my friend. I was astounded to discover that it's actually easier than tying a normal tie. Don't tell anyone, though - keep up the mystique...

Archived