Terrace Balcony Cabins on Black Watch

tring

Are the terrace balconies in shade for much of the time? We are thinking of a warm clime itinerary, so the sun would be high in the middle of the day.

Has anyone been in one of these and able to give an opinion on them? For instance is there any noise disturbance and do they have "one way glass" in the windows, or can people see in from prom deck?

My Father-in-law stayed in one of these on a recent cruise.

First and foremost, there really is no privacy there at all, no one-way glass, so draw the curtains or draw a crowd :) ... your choice...

There is some shade from direct overhead sun from the lifeboats hanging above, as long as they are not in use for other duties.

Regarding noise, the cabins are above the restaurants and below other cabins so not really an area where you need to worry too much about noise from above or below, but if you want to sit undisturbed on your 'balcony' you may find passing passengers a distraction and of course you will not have an uninterrupted view either.

On balance my Father-in-law felt that he wouldn't book one again.

Thanks for that info Mark. I am very surprised Fred did not use one way glass for theses cabins, as those doors would only have been installed when the balconies were done, which is fairly recent, so I assume Boudicca terrace balcony cabins will have the same glass. It will be depressing if we have to have curtains drawn whenever one of us is not totally dressed as that is the main time we are in the cabin. Some shade could be good on the cruise we are looking at, but we have been on Boudicca since these cabins were installed, so know how near they are to the prom deck Mmmmmmm.......

To be honest we have never been in a balcony cabin of any type on Fred's ships, partly because of the price, but also as we would not want to be affected by cigarette smoke, which of course is a potential problem on all Fred's other balconies. Fred must be the only cruise line that allows smoking on balconies now - even the smoke friendly Italian lines, ban it on balconies for safety reasons. I have heard of cigarette stubs being thrown off a balcony and setting fire to something below.

Perhaps an outside will be the best option all told, and think what we could do with the extra cash - perhaps have another holiday clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

To be honest we have never been in a balcony cabin of any type on Fred's ships, partly because of the price, but also as we would not want to be affected by cigarette smoke, which of course is a potential problem on all Fred's other balconies.

To give the risk some context, we always have a balcony cabin and I think we've done about 8 or 9 cruises with Fred now and never yet had a smoke problem.

... of course that doesn't mean you wouldn't have a problem the first time you try a balcony :)

... of course that doesn't mean you wouldn't have a problem the first time you try a balcony :)

That is the problem and I am asthmatic so just not willing to take the chance. Thanks for that info though.

Never understood when Fred did the cabins on Black Watch why they didn't install smoked/frosted glass on the balconies, it would stop onlookers who are walking the deck.

Frosted glass would be a very bad move IMO as it would stop the view out and even smoked glass affects colours so badly that views are not natural, but you can get a one way glass, so you can see out but not in, as long as the light is not on in the cabin. We have been in prom deck on the old P&O Artemis, which we liked and that was one way glass. Fred does economise on some strange things - assuming cost was the issue in the choice of glass.