Northern Lights

az-cruiser

Under most circumstances, you aren't far enough north, but there is always a chance.

Sorry, that's not true. Here's the forecast for tomorrow night - with clear skies, the aurora may be seen from all Alaska

cruise ports.

aurora-20170816.jpg

Three things all need to happen at the same time to see the northern lights. You need dark skies, clear skies, and aurora activity. A cruise in late August/early September would give you dark skies. The other two are random luck.

We were lucky to see them on our last early September RCI cruise...thanks to the Captain blowing the horn at midnight and adult kids with us that called our cabin :D

As early as midnight? Yippee. We're on the Jewel the last week of September and thought we might need to keep setting alarms to go up to check but our roll call is going to try to get a wake up call if it happens.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forums mobile app

As early as midnight? Yippee. We're on the Jewel the last week of September and thought we might need to keep setting alarms to go up to check but our roll call is going to try to get a wake up call if it happens.

We are on the Sun last week in Sept and we have fingers crossed - that would be a tick on my bucket list

That's so cool! How'd you arrange for your roll call to get a wake up call if it happens?

The aurora in Skagway (at the Pullen Creek RV Park on the waterfront) on August 6th at about 11pm. When there's a strong show like this, the sky doesn't even need to be dark :)

1skagway_aurora.jpg

Awesome view/photo! We sail out of Seattle on 9/2 - hope to get a glimpse!!!

I have only seen aurora from a cruise ship twice. I have seen it multiple times landing touring.

It requires a LOT of effort, the narrow "midnight" thinking couldn't be farther off. ANYTIME during darkness- with darkness with clear - meaning- can see stars, not that you are seeing in front of you, and activity. I have seen aurora and a setting sun, as example during very active aurora. So the midnight thinking is way off. It also is in a constant state change and can be gone in minutes. I've done two aurora Alaska visits, that are intense. You stay up all night. :)

With anyone, wanting to try and see aurora from a cruise ship- essential you DAILY check the prediction stats. For viewing on the inside passage it has to be strong whereas in Fairbanks you can get more favorable views with lower ratings. LOOK, at least every hour, and a complete look. You are going to miss it, if not looking in the right direction. Get someplace dark- which is tough on a ship. Do NOT count on any nothification. You can "sign up" all you want, it takes a LOT of time to make calls. Good Luck.

I have only seen aurora from a cruise ship twice. I have seen it multiple times landing touring.

It requires a LOT of effort, the narrow "midnight" thinking couldn't be farther off. ANYTIME during darkness- with darkness with clear - meaning- can see stars, not that you are seeing in front of you, and activity. I have seen aurora and a setting sun, as example during very active aurora. So the midnight thinking is way off. It also is in a constant state change and can be gone in minutes. I've done two aurora Alaska visits, that are intense. You stay up all night. :)

With anyone, wanting to try and see aurora from a cruise ship- essential you DAILY check the prediction stats. For viewing on the inside passage it has to be strong whereas in Fairbanks you can get more favorable views with lower ratings. LOOK, at least every hour, and a complete look. You are going to miss it, if not looking in the right direction. Get someplace dark- which is tough on a ship. Do NOT count on any nothification. You can "sign up" all you want, it takes a LOT of time to make calls. Good Luck.

We thought a system where one person rouses the next cabin number in the chain so only one or 2 people need notifying by the bridge/guest services but the message spreads fast.

It requires a LOT of effort, the narrow "midnight" thinking couldn't be farther off. ANYTIME during darkness- with darkness with clear - meaning- can see stars, not that you are seeing in front of you, and activity. . It also is in a constant state change and can be gone in minutes.

You are going to miss it, if not looking in the right direction.

So very true... I've seen before where they were super strong for 15 minutes and then went completely dark. I've had times where I've stayed late because they were suppose to be out and finally gave up and went to bed. Check facebook the next morning and everyone started seeing them about 20 minutes after I went to bed. They are random and sometimes short lived.

We thought a system where one person rouses the next cabin number in the chain so only one or 2 people need notifying by the bridge/guest services but the message spreads fast.

If it's only a couple people, then might work. BUT the last thing I am going to do, if I have a view is waste my time calling someone. I am out in my "dark place:" I have already scouted out on the ship. I would never expect to just wait until someone calls me. I AM out looking at an investment of my time for my priorities. Sorry. Selfish- yes.

If it's only a couple people, then might work. BUT the last thing I am going to do, if I have a view is waste my time calling someone. I am out in my "dark place:" I have already scouted out on the ship. I would never expect to just wait until someone calls me. I AM out looking at an investment of my time for my priorities. Sorry. Selfish- yes.

Or you're sleeping oblivious to the fact anything is going on because nobody could be bothered to tell you. Can't stay up all night on the off chance with ports to explore next day.

OMG That's to die for! Fantastic photo. Does it ever happen in late June or early July? We have a cruisetour scheduled for June 23 starting in Fairbanks and ending in Vancouver July 6, 2018.

The aurora in Skagway (at the Pullen Creek RV Park on the waterfront) on August 6th at about 11pm. When there's a strong show like this, the sky doesn't even need to be dark :)

1skagway_aurora.jpg

rvorcruise

Your photo of the lights is spectacular but were you able to see such colors with the naked eye? The one time we saw the northern lights (off the coast of Iceland in September at 2:00 a.m.) it seemed to me that they were just a blurry white cloud and the colors only showed up later in photographs of the event.