Soap and Ironing

I've read 2 reviews now that say you get one small bar of soap and it does not get replaced. Surely this cannot be right? Surely you can ask your cabin steward for another bar? (or more preferably they should replace it automatically when they see you need it).

I believe there is no self service laundry and that you are not allowed to take your own travel iron. Is that correct? Is there any way to iron clothes that have got creased when you unpack them or after you have hand washed something?

We are going on Independence of the Seas.

I've read 2 reviews now that say you get one small bar of soap and it does not get replaced. Surely this cannot be right? Surely you can ask your cabin steward for another bar? (or more preferably they should replace it automatically when they see you need it).

I believe there is no self service laundry and that you are not allowed to take your own travel iron. Is that correct? Is there any way to iron clothes that have got creased when you unpack them or after you have hand washed something?

We are going on Independence of the Seas.

The bars of soap will be replaced.

Taking irons or travel steamers is prohibited. The ship has a pressing service. You can also try something like Downy Wrinkle Releaser.

The bars of soap will be replaced.

Taking irons or travel steamers is prohibited. The ship has a pressing service. You can also try something like Downy Wrinkle Releaser.

Actually, we have taken a steamer on our last two cruises(FOTS & GOTS). On our most recent, however, that particular suitcase got me pulled into the naughty room. After staff confirmed it wasn't an iron, my steamer and I were off to our cabin.[emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have always had at least 2 bars of soap upon boarding; one in the shower and one at the sink. You can ask for all the soap you want. As for wrinkles hang clothes in the bathroom and run a hot shower. Steam does wonders. Nobody on board will notice your wrinkles anyway.

Actually, we have taken a steamer on our last two cruises(FOTS & GOTS). On our most recent, however, that particular suitcase got me pulled into the naughty room. After staff confirmed it wasn't an iron, my steamer and I were off to our cabin.[emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Very surprised as they are on the list of items not allowed. To OP I would not count on taking an iron or steamer, as they could be confiscated.

Use wrinkle release, shower steam, or send out to the laundry for pressing. Better still, pack materials that do not wrinkle easily.

I hang my clothes on hangers and then cover them with a dry cleaner bag. They don't get wrinkled when they are packed in this manner and it also makes for easy unpacking.

I also bring my own shower gel etc. as I like to use the same products on vacation as I do at home.

I hang my clothes on hangers and then cover them with a dry cleaner bag. They don't get wrinkled when they are packed in this manner and it also makes for easy unpacking.

I do this also and it really works. Also the ironing service on board is really reasonable and quick. Send out anything that needs needs pressing the first night and you are set.

There is plenty of soap, just ask. I take a small bottle of liquid soap in a zip lock for the sink - I don't like slimy bar soap. If there's any left at the end of the week I just toss it.

I have only seen liquid soap. But if there is bar soap I do NOT want it replaced daily. Such a waste. I don't do that at home

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We usually have both the liquid soap in a dispenser on the shower wall and bars of soap. The bars get replaced when necessary, not every day.

I can't answer about the soap since I always bring my own body wash. As for the ironing, I hate (absolutely HATE) iron but hate wrinkles. I refuse to iron before a cruise as I know they will end up wrinkled. I put all my ironing together in one bag and once I get that I send it off to be pressed. It's actually quite reasonable too and frees up my time to do other things.

I roll most of our tshirts and shorts and they shake out perfectly after hanging them in the closet.

Our dress clothes are left on hangers, covered with a dry cleaning bag and folded in half on top of our rolled clothes. No wrinkles!!

Been doing this for years!!!

I roll most of our tshirts and shorts and they shake out perfectly after hanging them in the closet.

Our dress clothes are left on hangers, covered with a dry cleaning bag and folded in half on top of our rolled clothes. No wrinkles!!

Been doing this for years!!!

[emoji1474]

I have only seen liquid soap. But if there is bar soap I do NOT want it replaced daily. Such a waste. I don't do that at home /quote]

Same here! When I have forgotten to bring my own soap, I leave a big note asking the steward to NOT throw away skinny soap. We just slap the skinny piece onto a new bar so there is no waste.

When I remember, I take a reusable bottle of Dr. Bronner's unscented castile soap. Fair trade and organic, it is MUCH gentler on my eczema-prone hands and feet.

How much is a pressing service for a men's dress shirt or cotton dress?
Have your dry cleaner put a little extra starch in that shirt, and pack it with the plastic still on it. I let the wire hanger slide down inside the shirt and pack the whole thing - hanger, plastic and shirt - with just one or two folds in the suitcase. Take it out and hang it up, and it'll be just fine. I travel this way all the time and never iron shirts in hotel rooms (or cruise ship cabins!).

I don't like slimy bar soap. If there's any left at the end of the week I just toss it.

Neither do I. Solved that problem by folding a wash cloth to keep the little bar of soap at the sink on top of that.

Sometimes I have to remind the cabin attendant not to take it without replacing it though. They usually get the

idea.

• 4 weeks later...

Irons are prohibited for safety reasons. You have to send out for pressing service. Please consult the Q&A on the Royal website for prohibited items. Hair dryers are in rooms but they are not the best. You can bring your own

Irons are prohibited for safety reasons. You have to send out for pressing service. Please consult the Q&A on the Royal website for prohibited items. Hair dryers are in rooms but they are not the best. You can bring your own

Many thanks for your help.

I do this also and it really works. Also the ironing service on board is really reasonable and quick. Send out anything that needs needs pressing the first night and you are set.

There is plenty of soap, just ask. I take a small bottle of liquid soap in a zip lock for the sink - I don't like slimy bar soap. If there's any left at the end of the week I just toss it.

I do the same exact thing... I pack certain outfits in dry cleaner bags and cuts down on the wrinkles. I also pack Downey wrinkle release and it has never stained our clothes and works GREAT. If we are on a 14 day cruise I always pack a small bottle of liquid hand soap and put it in a ziplock bag.