Roads in St Lucia

Yertiz1883

We have read many threads mentioning the mountainous roads on St Lucia, and one in particular which stated "mountainous with steep drops, narrow road, no crash barriers over mountains"

Do such road conditions apply if travelling north from Castries to the Rodney Rodney Bay area?

At this stage, but dependent on responses, our thoughts are to take in the market at Castries before travelling onto Rodney Bay by either bus or taxi. However if the road is as bad as indicated, then we will probably rethink our day on St Lucia.

We have read many threads mentioning the mountainous roads on St Lucia, and one in particular which stated "mountainous with steep drops, narrow road, no crash barriers over mountains"

Do such road conditions apply if travelling north from Castries to the Rodney Rodney Bay area?

At this stage, but dependent on responses, our thoughts are to take in the market at Castries before travelling onto Rodney Bay by either bus or taxi. However if the road is as bad as indicated, then we will probably rethink our day on St Lucia.

The road north to Rodney Bay is not as bad. It does not follow a cliff or mountainside, and is through highly developed areas. It is narrow and does have some winding, but it is nowhere near being similar to the East or West coast roads....

• 3 months later...

We did the Spencer Ambrose tour around the island last year and my 5 year old daughter vomited in the tour van due to the roads. My boyfriend took Dramamine and still felt car sick. I was ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have never been one to get carsick but when we did a tour in St Lucia when we stopped there in November I did get a bit quesy. We were in a small van that held comfortably 6-7 people. There were 6 of us including driver. 1 person up front with driver, 2 in the middle row, and My Wife and I were in the back row. I was not feeling it at all. The constant up and down around the bins and switchbacks got me. Luckily I didn't get too sick but I was not loving it. So yes if you are prone to it please do take some motion meds at least.

hey, the Roads were better than others like Antigua :eek:

This is a Great Isle, Amazing views from the upper mountains/roads. Keep in mind if there is many ships in port the Island traffic is routed different and some roads up and back are set to "one way" making congestion a bear. We had 4 ships in port. A lot of cool bays and fishing village+ lots of misc shopping thought. we got a nice 2 hr privite tour /taxi there. I found a mail here on cc & investigated & it was a winner, Very reasonable and with the newer minivan all went well,operator was very nice & clear "Four of us went on for like a hundred, cash. Other options we opted out of. I sent my inquiry to celia underscore 127 at hotmail com and response was slow but ok!

Good Luck~ D