Tchou Tchou v Bus Tour Noumea

Hi,

I would like people's thoughts regarding sightseeing tours in Noumea.

We are a family of two adults and two kids (8 and 13) and I am wondering whether we should do the tchou tchou or a bus tour. Both are approximately the same time but the tchou tchou in more expensive.

Is the tchou tchou worth the extra money?

Does the tchou tchou also include the hop on hop off bus if it is booked through the maritime station?

Does Noumea warrant a sightseeing tour?

We also want to go to Duck Island and the Cultural Centre

Neither the Tchou Tchou train nor the similar trip by bus include the hop on hop off bus. You would see more of the 'sights' on the train or the bus rather than the HOHO bus. If your kids feel excited about the train, then maybe that's the way to go, although generally I don't like it. The bus that you can book in the terminal does a similar route but with one extra lookout that the train can't get to. The bus is airconditioned and the commentary is easier to hear. It is also much cheaper. If you decide to go on the train I suggest you sit mid-way down the train. Seats in the front get fumes from the exhaust of the motor and those at the back can get up quite a sway causing motion sickness. Although the train has a roof, you are exposed to sun and can get wet from rain driving in sideways. You are also exposed to exhaust fumes from other vehicles. (Sorry to sound so negative about the train!):)

You wouldn't have time to go to all the places you mention. I suggest a sightseeing tour booked in the cruise terminal would be best. If you also want to go to Duck Island, you can also book that in the cruise terminal. Get off the ship reasonably early and get to the terminal and make your bookings for the day.

Have a fantastic time. :) Unfortunately some people are put off by the unlovely wharf area, but Noumea is lovely and there is a lot to see.

The ticket we bought in the terminal included the hop on hop off bus.

Tickets were $30 each

I haven't seen that offer. Sorry I was incorrect with my information. Would you need both? After doing the sight-seeing tour would you really need the HOHO bus?

Edited by Aus Traveller

You can use the HOHO bus to go to Anse Vata and catch a water taxi to Duck Island but you need to keep a close eye on the time. You may need local currency for the water taxi. If I remember correctly when we were in Noumea in September a local tour vendor was offering a trip out to Duck a Island for a reasonable price.

If you do a Google search for tours at Noumea you will find plenty of info. If your ship docks at the commercial port a free shuttle will run to the cruise ship terminal. Most of the shore tour vendors have stands at that terminal.

Whatever you end up doing just make certain you are close to the ship at least an hour before your nominated boarding time. I've seen some very close calls with passengers who were late getting back to the ship.

Have a great trip.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We were in Noumea a few days ago on the Celebrity Century. There were two Tchou choo trains at the terminal. The yellow Tchoo Choo was booked by the ship and cost $US60. The Green one which also operates the HOHO bus cost $A42. The HOHO bus costs $A15. If one is not intending to HOHO the bus the TChou Choo train covers the same route on its return journey.

For those looking for free wifi in MOumea pop over to McDonalds and the password id Happymeal"

Hi,

So does the green train operate from the terminal on the days that cruise ships come in?

How much does it cost with the HOHO bus?

The cost of the green Tchou Chou train was $A42. It was the only costs quoted so I assume that if the HOHO bus is included then that is the price of both.

It operates right outside the cruise terminal, in fact it is the Green Tchou Chou train operators who are offering all the tours in the terminal. The yellow Tchou Chou train operates from outside in the car park and appears to have no connection with the cruise terminal tourist operators

The green train is easy to find, just walk through the main terminal and the train parks on the road directly in front of the terminal on cruise days, you can also hire bicycles at the terminal. While the train looks like fun, we have opted for the bus both times because they travel further and you see more.

Does Noumea warrant a sightseeing tour?

Yes, have a look around it does have some good views, dont just hang around town, if you arrive on sunday most of the town is shut., inside the terminal you will find several tour operators and they will show you a map of where they take you and where they stop, including the Cultural Centre, if you pick the right bus tour they stop at the beach for a swim, RE duck island you can get there several ways, but be prepared to pay for everything when you are there.

If you are traveling by ship, they should provide you with information on shore tours which will give you an idea of whats available, but be aware sometimes thay dock at main terminal and sometimes at container wharf. If you dont pre book a tour IE train, through the ship and want to take your chances booking at the main terminal and you dock at the container wharf, you have to get the shuttle bus to the main terminal and that takes time, so keep that in mind.

Edited by 6666oz

If you are traveling by ship, they should provide you with information on shore tours which will give you an idea of whats available, but be aware sometimes thay dock at main terminal and sometimes at container wharf.

We have only docked at the container wharf in the last 12 months or so. We were told that the harbour has to be dredged in front of the cruise terminal before ships can dock there again. I can't vouch for this, but it sounds reasonable.

We have only docked at the container wharf in the last 12 months or so. We were told that the harbour has to be dredged in front of the cruise terminal before ships can dock there again. I can't vouch for this, but it sounds reasonable.

Yep on the 05/10 we docked at main terminal, and was the only ship in port, on the 18/11 we docked at container wharf, while the ms Amsterdam took up the main terminal space.

Edited by 6666oz

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
....you can also hire bicycles at the terminal..

Does anyone have any more info on this??

if you arrive on sunday most of the town is shut., .

Alas we are there on a a Sunday. So what will be open?? What do people recommend for a mid 50s couple??

Karen

Karen At the main terminal you can hire bicycles you will see them stacked up along the footpath near the front main door , not sure who in the terminal hires them but just ask at the information booth inside the terminal.

Noumea can be dead on a sunday, not many shops open, the supermarket across the road is open till about 12:00 take a tour to somewhere.

If you can afford it the Amadee Island shore ex from the ship is highly recommended but it is expensive for a family. Or alternatively purchase

HO HO bus tickets from the operators at the terminal building, do a loop first and the get off at Anse Vata or Lemon bay beach for a swim.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app