Aussie, NZ Dollar Trends, Opportunities??!!

Currently, one Australian Dollar costs just 75 cents. When we were there 18 months ago, that currency cost was about 88-90 cents. Two or three years ago, the cost for an Aussie dollar was up to about $1.05. Today one New Zealand Dollar costs about 70 cents. Below are detailed charts that give that history over the past five and ten years. Interesting trends and shifts.

Clearly based on these rates, it offers another very good reason to be visiting these two wonderful nations. Any predictions as to the future trends and directions on currency values?

BUT, if you live in Australia, these rates make it much more expensive to travel to the USA, Europe, etc.

Appreciate those who have dropped by and visited my live/blog for our exploring down under. Yesterday, this live/blog went over 150,000 views. Glad to know there is so much interest in both Australia and New Zealand. They get the credit for being so wonderful, amazing and scenic. Plus, both countries having nice, fun people there. Don't be shy in asking any questions, sharing your background and experiences there, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 150,242 views for this posting.

Per http://www.xe.com, below are the five- and ten-year trend charts of the value of the Aussie Dollar versus the U.S. Dollar. Interesting shifts and opportunities?:

Screen%20Shot%202016-07-24%20at%2011.21.23%20AM_zps1aviloab.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-07-24%20at%2011.22.18%20AM_zpsvwols8hn.png

Per http://www.xe.com, below are the five- and ten-year trend charts of the value of the NZ Dollar versus the U.S. Dollar.:

Screen%20Shot%202016-07-24%20at%2011.38.01%20AM_zpsccxdsgj2.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-07-24%20at%2011.38.35%20AM_zpslye2hxcv.png

Based our your charts, TLC, I may go ahead and buy some AU/NZ dollars now as a hedge in case things go up, which they always do. Our trip is still about nine months away but who knows.

Thank you,

Bill

Based our your charts, TLC, I may go ahead and buy some AU/NZ dollars now as a hedge in case things go up, which they always do. Our trip is still about nine months away but who knows. Thank you, Bill

Appreciate, Bill, your excellent follow-up and comment. While I cannot speak for the banks in Arizona, here is my "caution" based on our experiences with our banks and my past researching. It is possible now that the banks will quote an exchange rate that appears close to what is being listed now. Sound good? BUT, then you need to ask and be 100% clear about any "conversion fees" and/or other hidden charges. Those additional costs can add up!! Most banks are aiming to make money!! They are not providing this foreign currency as a "free" service. Generally, we have found that getting local currency from bank ATM's in the countries we are visiting to be the safest and best option. Your choice!!

Also, nobody can predict whether future rates will go or down. Either one could or might happen!! True, right?

Keep up your good planning and preparing for the fun and excitement when visiting these two great countries.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 201,204 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate, Bill, your excellent follow-up and comment. While I cannot speak for the banks in Arizona, here is my "caution" based on our experiences with our banks and my past researching. It is possible now that the banks will quote an exchange rate that appears close to what is being listed now. Sound good? BUT, then you need to ask and be 100% clear about any "conversion fees" and/or other hidden charges. Those additional costs can add up!! Most banks are aiming to make money!! They are not providing this foreign currency as a "free" service. Generally, we have found that getting local currency from bank ATM's in the countries we are visiting to be the safest and best option. Your choice!!

Also, nobody can predict whether future rates will go or down. Either one could or might happen!! True, right?

Keep up your good planning and preparing for the fun and excitement when visiting these two great countries.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 201,204 views.

Terry, I absolutely agree about bank "fees". I usually do wait until I am in country before obtaining local currency at the ATM. I bank at Chase and I will ask to ascertain their fee.

Thanks,

Bill

The dollar is forever moving and people are either making or losing fortunes by gambling on its swings. It wasn't that many years ago that we only got .50c for a Au$ and .39 for a NZ$.

That made it very expensive for us to travel and cruise, but the Americans loved it ... as they got 2 for 1.:D

That 1.05 was not the norm. Rather a reflection at that time of a weak US economy and concerns about the mortgage housing issue.

The dollar has hover for quite some time around 0.75 market.

You just adjust. You spend more, you spend less.

The dollar is forever moving and people are either making or losing fortunes by gambling on its swings. It wasn't that many years ago that we only got .50c for a Au$ and .39 for a NZ$.

That made it very expensive for us to travel and cruise, but the Americans loved it ... as they got 2 for 1.:D

Even the Aus$ dropped well below 50c for a while.

Some people get pretty good at guessing the next move.

I know a chap who retails and imports electrical goods, he can usually tell me with fair accuracy where the $ will be over the next 6 months or so, but then he makes or looses as fortune every time it moves a cent so needs to get it right.

The 0.75 Dollar hasn't stopped us from booking a trip to the US this year. The airlines have had some fantastic sale fares which has made the trip more attractive.

But we will be thinking twice before making any non-essential purchases while we are there.

The RBA's stated preference is for an EX around USD 70 cents. Anything north of that could be a buying opportunity.

Disclaimer. Do not make financial decisions based on these comments. They are purely my own and I am not a licensed financial advisor. :)

The RBA's stated preference is for an EX around USD 70 cents. Anything north of that could be a buying opportunity.

Disclaimer. Do not make financial decisions based on these comments. They are purely my own and I am not a licensed financial advisor. :)

I agree, but is always going to be speculating as to where the dollar will go due to global financial movements. If they drop the interest rates again, the AUD will go with it.

Edited by MicCanberra

Thank-You Host Walt.

For a timely reminder regarding political discussion.

I think a few of us down-under were getting quite anxious regarding the way the thread was trending.

So much so, that a few of us are in the process of trawling through posts on the main threads regarding political discussion, and will be pleased to bring them to your attention.

Once again Thank-You.