Norwegian's Free at Sea

wezie

Login.com and Logout.com are your "commands" to sign-in and sign-out against your 250 free internet minutes while onboard, that's about 4 hours of usage for the duration, not a lot.

7a401546bd99f05c16e90241373128f3.jpg

SIgn in (login.com) when you need to do something and immediately sign out (logout.com) and the usage meter screen will pop up to display your usage and remaining minutes. That's is as much alert as you will get. If you go over or run out, it will simply stopped working (some reported that extra minutes were billed as PAYG, thus, it's important to logoff each time, if you forgot - those minutes can add up quickly at 75 cents to 95 cents a minute). If that happened accidentally, speak to the onboard internet manager the first chance you have for a solution or adjustment, etc. - they are generally very nice & helpful, don't wait till the last day onboard. Accured charges are posted to your Onboard stateroom account - you can use the free iConcierge App to check & review it daily for anything out of the ordinary.

Satellite broadband is on a shared path with dynamic bandwidth being "metered" and prioritized for ship use, safety & navigation - the # of users active and "online" will affect the experience of all users at any given time. Try to find an "off-peak" time to log-in and you will likely get better results. Can't speak for the Epic, on the Breakaway - it worked great & quite fast for a satellite link (nothing compared to a quantum Fios speed of 75 to 100+ in upload or download, but it works). On the Gem, it was slower but still far better than analog & comparable to old copper DSL line, like 3G speed - but like the BA, upload was faster than download, functional & things like Facetime, Facebook, Hangouts, Skype & basic webmail & online browsing usually loaded.

Given the choice of a tablet/iPad or laptop or netbook PC, go with the iPad or smartphone as there's less data "overheads" and turn off background data loading & automatic downloads, as those will clog up and slow everything else down - optimize your setup, ask a tech geek friend to help before leaving to "tune-up" your gadgets first. Have fun !

Where do you find the login.com and logout.com? Is it a "button" to press or do you actually have to type it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you, Keith! I now see what I was missing in the equation. Hope I didn't step on any toes trying to understand! :o

You're not the first person to overreact regarding having to pay 18% on a "free" drink package. Look at it this way, 200 bucks for two people to drink like fish if they wish for a week is a great deal no matter how you cut it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

You're not the first person to overreact regarding having to pay 18% on a "free" drink package. Look at it this way, 200 bucks for two people to drink like fish if they wish for a week is a great deal no matter how you cut it.

I'll drink to that! :evilsmile:

We booked Bermuda for September '18 and we chose the speciality dining (3 meals) and unlimited beverage package. Seemed like the best deal to us.

It's a wise choice for those you like to indulge in adult beverages and enjoy upgraded food quality wise. Of course there are always teetotallers and MDR lovers who choose other perks and that is their peroggative.

Yes, we have crossed NCL off our list because of the deceptive "freebies". A bigger non starter for us was the exclusion of bottled water. Can you say, "Nickeled and Dimed" ?

Yes, we have crossed NCL off our list because of the deceptive "freebies". A bigger non starter for us was the exclusion of bottled water. Can you say, "Nickeled and Dimed" ?

You can always pay more and sail on Celebrity whose drink package includes bottled water and gratuities with an OV or higher cabin. Or cruise on RCI and Carnival whose drink packages include bottled water, but are never included as a perk so you need to pay for them as well as the attached gratuities.

No you can't.

It's strictly an annoyance that the UBP doesn't include bottled water. I'm still saving money on NCL compared with RCCL as I've purchased their drink package the last couple of cruises and it is more inclusive but costs more overall.

With that being said, they should include the water.

I'm booked for July 2018 on the Escape and originally chose the UBP and the dining one, but have since changed the dining to internet. I know the internet minutes are limited and it's probably not the best, but it'll allow my wife, daughter and myself to check our stuff out a couple of times during the trip.

This is not a cost thing, it's just that we decided that for this cruise, eating was going to be a little less of a priority and we would just wing it as far as where and when to eat. Maybe I want to go to the pub at 4:30 and have apps and a few drinks and not have dinner at all..Or maybe go to the buffet to avoid the 2+ hour meal. Whatever it is, we chose casual cruising this time.

We've been cruising rccl exclusively the past 10 years so this will be our first cruise on NCL in quite some time.

I'm sure it'll be great.

Deceptive? I've never been charged anything that I wasn't aware of in advance. How is that deceptive? :confused: I can understand leaving NCL if you have trouble reading their terms and rules. Perhaps a cruise line that publishes things in another language will work better for you. Good luck!

You can always pay more and sail on Celebrity whose drink package includes bottled water and gratuities with an OV or higher cabin. Or cruise on RCI and Carnival whose drink packages include bottled water, but are never included as a perk so you need to pay for them as well as the attached gratuities.

We have cruises booked with X, Princess, and HAL that include their drink packages with bottled water included.

I would question if we are paying more as I don't want to get into the relative merits of each cruise lines inherent 'quality'

but the fares are extremely competitive to NCL. We liked NCL and had five cruises under our belt but decided to vote on their policies with our travel dollar. It is my strong opinion that the 'free' offerings are deceptive at worst and cruiser unfriendly at best. That is only my view and I understand many NCL people are not concerned which is fine.

Inclusive drink packages with these lines (X, HAL, Princess) that do not charge extra for grats or bottled water are fairly common place so we will continue to gravitate towards them in the future.

I would say this, we do consider ourselves educated cruisers and when we did book a NCL cruise last year there was a process of discovery to learn that gratuities would be added (to an inflated UBP price) and that water could not be brought on board or available with the drink program. Happy cruising to all regardless of chosen carrier.

I see many complaints about ncl charging gratuities for the unlimited beverage package. I don't want to complain just state that the gratuities are tips for the hard working men and woman who have to make our drinks all day. So I don't no mind paying for the 18% gratuities ahead of time. Probably even low balling the tips for the the amount of drinks that I consume on a cruise. [emoji3]

Deceptive? I've never been charged anything that I wasn't aware of in advance. How is that deceptive? :confused: I can understand leaving NCL if you have trouble reading their terms and rules. Perhaps a cruise line that publishes things in another language will work better for you. Good luck!

Using the word 'free' IMHO is deceptive particularly when other lines routinely include gratuities. It is decidedly not 'free' when you have to pay something to get it. When I initially booked NCL (and did research along with reading UDP description) it was possible to bring bottled water on board. This policy changed before our cruise which was the last straw for us and we canceled.

All other lines drink packages that I am familiar with included tips and bottled water so the NCL policy was unusual .

I stated it is my opinion that NCL is being misleading adding a gratuity (which does not go directly to cruise staff and is based on an inflated UDP price). You don't have to agree with me but the 'read the fine print' argument is a bit too defensive. FREE is everywhere in their advertising (unlimited open bar) If they said (just pay for 18% gratuity) alongside I would have no complaints . I would suggest an intelligent and prudent person who sees the word 'free' would think there is are no extra charges involved.

We have moved on from NCL but see some posters still question this practice which is why I felt compelled to comment.

If enough people complain maybe NCL will change this approach. For those unconcerned I respect their views and choices.

I would suggest an intelligent and prudent person who sees the word 'free' would think there is are no extra charges involved....

If enough people complain maybe NCL will change this approach. For those unconcerned I respect their views and choices.

The intelligent and prudent person reads and learns before spending hundreds (likely thousands) on their cruise.

If people don't want to pay the 18% on the SDP/UBP, they don't have to. It is a choice. An alternative is to pay for drinks/dining a la carte.

As for NCL changing the terms of the promo to eliminate the 18%, they could simply increase the per person price by $100 then people wouldn't complain about the "free" UBP not being free.

Edited by Two Wheels Only

The intelligent and prudent person reads and learns before spending hundreds (likely thousands) on their cruise.

If people don't want to pay the 18% on the SDP/UBP, they don't have to. It is a choice. An alternative is to pay for drinks/dining a la carte.

As for NCL changing the terms of the promo to eliminate the 18%, they could simply increase the per person price by $100 then people wouldn't complain about the "free" UBP not being free.

Clearly I am not intelligent or prudent if I don't accept the NCL approach.

Hold on.... I just got an e-mail invite for a 'free' week stay in Hawaii.... got to go.

No, disliking a policy is different than not knowing or understanding the policy. NCL does provide the info but some people are distracted by the word "free".

I clearly understood the policy and I cancelled my cruise as a result. As stated, the option to bring bottled water on board was changed AFTER I made my booking so I clearly could have hired a staff of Philadelphia lawyers to read the fine print and this still would have not served me well. Also, the gratuity part was a mystery to me when I booked and wondered why the cost of the cruise increased. I figured out that a gratuity was being added to my 'free' option but there was nothing on the site that clued me in on this until I started reading the cost breakdown.

I found this approach questionable - that is my opinion and why I refuse to patronize NCL . I sent them a letter informing them of my discontent.

So I understand the NCL 'pitch' ,disagree with it and find it deceptive.

You are welcome to defend it in any way you like. I am not suggesting you are negligent or stupid in your obvious support for NCL but please don't suggest my view is without merit particularly in the light of the many posters who continue to question it.

Fortunately, there are wonderful cruise options everywhere and I booked a Princess cruise this morning with (really) 'free'

drinks, bottled water, and specialty coffees.

please don't suggest my view is without merit particularly in the light of the many posters who continue to question it.

Fortunately, there are wonderful cruise options everywhere and I booked a Princess cruise this morning with (really) 'free'

drinks, bottled water, and specialty coffees.

The "many posters that continue to question it" are primarily those that live in non tipping cultures that are so against gratuities that they sometimes even remove the automatic ones that are connected to their cabin. And the Princess Cruise, were the tips included as well, because it's a Carnival corporation line and you pay the 15% grat on Carnival. And were you able to get the drink package on an inside cabin like you can on NCL, or was it only on a much more expensive cabin like a balcony or above?

It's not nickeled and dimed. It's called simple economics. They will charge for whatever people are willing to pay. As far as "freebies" being deceptive... Whats is deceptive about them? It's right there in black and white.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They wouldn't actually do that though.

What they would do is what they did in Europe, as many of us knew they would. They would increase the price by $150-200 per person.

Golden rule - never encourage a vendor to change their pricing basis. They will almost certainly add a bit extra on as well (and frankly they would be stupid not to).

Just a quick note about the US/Europe et al drink package question I think it also has a bit to do with European laws of prices being the price you see has to be the price you pay and not anything added on (VAT or otherwise).

On our 10 day cruise the normal UBP price is £719 ($850) so that is obviously including grats.

Also, NCL have to make things crystal clear with non US cruisers due to the fact we cannot cancel our deposits. I think having to pay extra and not being able to cancel would loose NCL alot of repeat custom. My free UBP had no extra charges.

Thankfully I booked when it was the premium at sea and got the grats and UBP (as well as free coffee and bottled waters) included which would be our first 2 choices. As we feel the food would be good anyway we would have been the few that would have got the free wifi and the UBP if free at sea was still going.

Booked in May for this August.

Are these people who are complaining about the 18% gratuity the sames ones that will gladly take a free TV, but then complain when they have to pay for electricity to use it?

Your analogy makes no sense. How about you sign up for the promise of a free tv but you have to buy a stand to go with it at 18% of the tv cost. Then they tell you it is a $500 tv when you see it sold for $350 elsewhere. Oh and while most tv's have a channel 5 on this one if you want to watch it (bottled water) it will cost you extra.

If you have to pay to receive the item (with the exclusion perhaps of third party taxes out of the suppliers' control) it is not truly free.