What to wear on casual nights

I am starting to plan my wardrobe for our upcoming RCI Caribbean cruise in September, and I wondering what everybody else wears on casual nights? I have my formal outfit planned out for nice black slacks and a fancy top with a pair of nice black shoes. I'm a little lost on causal nights though. Maybe dark wash jeans or maybe some sort of cotton pants with a nice top? I'm use to NCL where we could where just about anything besides a swimsuit in the MDR LOL:rolleyes::D. Looking forward to everybody's input :-).

I think anything you would wear to go to a sit-down restaurant at home would be ok.

I typically bring capris, knee length shorts, a pair of dark jeans, I also bring a white pair of linen pants if I am going to the caribbean. I probably wouldn't bring those if I were going to the Mediterranean.

I bring an assortment of tops that will match those and usually the tops will match more than one of the bottoms and the bottoms will match several tops so I can mix and match.

I never felt out of place anywhere on Carnival's ships and when we cruised Princess I felt right in place with those outfits as well.

I think anything you would wear to go to a sit-down restaurant at home would be ok.

I typically bring capris, knee length shorts, a pair of dark jeans, I also bring a white pair of linen pants if I am going to the Caribbean. .

RCCL is lots less formal and way less on casual nights than you might think. ;)

LuLu

Wow! This really will make my packing a lot simpler, thank you everybody! My Mom has come really cute floral print capris she bought specifically to wear on our trip, and will be thrilled to hear she can where them at dinner :D.

They'll be perfect for her in the MDR on casual nights! :)

LuLu

I usually bring a few pairs of black pants and an assortment of nice tops. Then I throw in a dress or 2. I like to pack lightweight polyester clothes that don't wrinkle. I also bring ballet flats and a pair of comfortable wedge slides and fun costume jewelry.

I like to wear capris with a nice top and sandals. I also wear sundresses, maxis and skirts with nice tops. I choose not to wear jeans.

These are the same things I wear but sometimes I do wear dark wash jeans on the last night of the cruise because then I can leave them out to wear on the plane ride home the next day. I always try to be packed before dinner on the last night of a cruise so that I don't have to rush back to the room to do it.

Depending on moderators in various other forum, many of those clothing discussions end up getting moved here anyway:p

I think it's important to know a couple of things: 1) What is the dress code on your cruise line (they all list it on their websites); 2) what is the climate where you will be traveling?

With those pieces of information, you should be able to figure out which clothing you feel comfortable in that will be appropriate on board.

Even so, you're still likely to see the gamut of pretty much everything once you are onboard ;)

(personally, I wear dresses and usually bring a pair of black pants that can be dressed up or down - not "formal" but casual to nicer, as needed, in a weight/fabric suited to the climate - I don't wear capris or jeans)

For Caribbean cruises I pack an assortment of sundresses/maxi dresses and a couple of shrugs in case it is cool in the dining room. A dress is a one stop shop, don't need to worry about mix/matching :D

• 7 months later...

I have been searching for what seems like forever to find a thread on this topic! I am leaving for my first cruise on RCI in 6 days, and I wasn't sure what to wear for non-formal evenings. Capris and sandals with a decent blouse were what I've been hoping would be okay. It seems like that will work. THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD! :-D

I think a little bit of misinformation may be posted in this thread.

On RCCL is depends on whether you wear what you are accustomed to wearing, or whether you want to wear what the majority of women wear in the evening on casual nights.

If you eat in the MDR, then most ladies wear long pants, short dresses, maxi dresses, or long skirts. There are some who wear capris and blouses, but they are not in the majority.

If you are just out and about the ship, or eat in the buffet, then definitely the capri outfits are fine.

RCCL is just a tiny bit more dressy than Carnival and Princess. I just got off Princess last Thursday after 25 nights, and I was really surprised how the women were dressed all the time. I mean a pair of overly tight bright green knit capris with the pockets sticking out they were so tight, and a bright PURPLE too-tight tee shirt was the one that sticks in my memory.

I'm not TELLING anyone how to dress; I'm just telling you what I've observed. I was on RCCL last March, April, and December, and on Princess this past February and March.

Whatever you wear, be comfortable and have fun!!

Thank you very much for your honesty pcur. The capris I have are not the tight legging type, and I am not a tight top type at all. I was picturing a "people of Walmart" situation in your description, and I consider it a personal goal to never even sort of go there. I am bringing a little of most types of dress; so, if I have to re-wear some things I guess that will have to work.

Thank you very much for your honesty pcur. The capris I have are not the tight legging type, and I am not a tight top type at all. I was picturing a "people of Walmart" situation in your description, and I consider it a personal goal to never even sort of go there. I am bringing a little of most types of dress; so, if I have to re-wear some things I guess that will have to work.

Yes, there were several Walmartians on the Ruby recently!!

Enjoy your cruise.

• 1 month later...

Can I please ask a question? Is it okay for me to piggyback on someone else's thread?

Is this too tizzy for a casual night? No midriff for me, I will wear a black top without skin showing. My skirt isn't quite as dark in colour but it is the same cut.

http://www.tedbaker.com/uk/Womens/Love-Ted/ABAIGH-Cascading-floral-full-skirt-Black/p/115112-00-BLACK