Coin operated washer and dryers

I've never ran out of clothes to wear - quite the opposite, in fact. And I would never think of doing laundry on a cruise ship. All my clothes are the bullky XL - XXL ones too :p. AND we pack our snorkeling gear

I guess I can't figure out why you would need to do laundry during a cruise - unless you only carried a backpack, or a small carry on.

Put the wash in, go to the pool and have an umbrella drink, come back and put it in the dryer, then go back and get it. Not too hard to do and doesn't take more than 30 minutes away from your vacation.

And if you ever been to laundromats, you should know that when you return that some of your items will be missing. If they do it on land, they will do it on a ship. And by going away to go to the pool, getting an umbrella drink, etc will lead to the same thing as Chair Hogs....People will leave their things in the washer or dryer and will not return until long after the washer or dryer has stopped, while people are waiting and trying to decide if they should take somebody else's undies out and put to the side! And you know if they do, it will cause some big problems when the owner returns!

I must live in an expensive area, because Royal's prices are less than what my local dry cleaner charges.

I don't dry clean my socks, t-shirts, and running shorts. It is over $7.00 to wash one run worth of clothes. I consider that expensive.

I've never ran out of clothes to wear - quite the opposite, in fact. And I would never think of doing laundry on a cruise ship. All my clothes are the bullky XL - XXL ones too :p. AND we pack our snorkeling gear

I guess I can't figure out why you would need to do laundry during a cruise - unless you only carried a backpack, or a small carry on.

Because I like to go for runs, hate sweaty clothes, and have even less desire to wash stuff in the bathroom sink than the folks who have no use for doing laundry while on vacation.

Well for someone who invariably flies transatlantic to join a Caribbean cruise, due to bagagge restrictions, I personally would welcome a laundry room. OK, the ship board laundry service isn't that expensive I suppose, but you don't get it back the same day which you would if you spent approximately 1 hour doing it yourself.

OK, there's a wash n fold offer, but I would only suggest putting like colours in that bag for $25 (don't mix dark with whites unless you want to risk your prized white polo changing colour!) and that does not come back for 2 days. So that's not exactly a fast service either.

As an example, next year we're doing a 14 night TA from Miami back to the UK. We're going have to be very clever in our packing as we're also staying away from home 1 night prior to flying from the UK to Miami, then 1 night pre cruise in Miami, so 16 nights in total, but 17 days clothing required including the day we arrive back in the UK to then fly from Southampton home.

Oh and by the way, we don't live in a trailer park so do not judge us to be trailer park trash just because we like to have clean clothes and would welcome a laundry onboard!:D

I am on holiday!!

So i am bringing plenty of everything no washing for me i get enough of that at home:D

I'd agree if I wasn't flying to my port of departure. I don't wish to make assumptions, but I see you're sailing from Southampton and are based in the UK, are you lucky enough not to be restricted by airline baggage rules in terms of peices of luggage and weight?

Trailer Park of the Seas is the only Royal ship having self serve laundry.

You have to love the folks that are "above" doing self serve laundry on a cruise ship....And they are on Royal Caribbean....

It would probably make more sense if you were on Regent, Seabourn, or Crystal...

You have to love the folks that are "above" doing self serve laundry on a cruise ship....And they are on Royal Caribbean....

It would probably make more sense if you were on Regent, Seabourn, or Crystal...

Regent, Seabourn and Crystal all have self serve laundries.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

And if you ever been to laundromats, you should know that when you return that some of your items will be missing. If they do it on land, they will do it on a ship. And by going away to go to the pool, getting an umbrella drink, etc will lead to the same thing as Chair Hogs....People will leave their things in the washer or dryer and will not return until long after the washer or dryer has stopped, while people are waiting and trying to decide if they should take somebody else's undies out and put to the side! And you know if they do, it will cause some big problems when the owner returns!

Believe me, when I lived in the college dormitory or an apartment, I watched my laundry like a hawk. I'd sit there and wait for it. I recall one time where I went back to my apartment for ten minutes and when I came back somebody had put all my now clean clothes on top of the dryer because they couldn't wait. So mad that my underwear, socks, etc., not only were touched by somebody's dirty hands or picked up whatever was on the dryer.

I don't know if I'd sit in the laundry room on a cruise and wait. I assume there would be security cameras as there are all over the ship. And I wouldn't be washing my fancy expensive clothes. It'd be swimming trunks, some underwear, socks, and cheap t-shirts. I think if there was a sign saying that your clothes may be moved if left unattended for 30 minutes (sounds familiar!), it would be perfectly reasonable.

I will usually send about $40.00 worth of clothes to be washed through the week. My husband dives and his dive skin comes back smelling awful, :eek: so we send it to be washed. This works out well for me! I send a one or two tops and maybe a pair of capris to be washed during the week. They come back looking freshly pressed and nice. My husband always tells me that compared to the cost of the cruise, the cost of having a few clean things to wear again is not much to pay. Everyone has their own feeling on this, though.

On Carnival, we bring quarters with us and do a load of wash during the week. The washing machine and dryer are both timed, so you can leave and come back. We come back before it is done to be courteous. This is a nice convenience, but on the other hand, not having to do it is nice, too!

And we're all very proud of you for never running out of clothes or snorkeling gear on your cruises, despite your bad grammar!:p (It's 'I've never RUN out of clothes' not 'I've never RAN out of clothes.')

Perhaps you could acknowledge that some of us go on much longer cruises than you do. It's very challenging to pack for a 15 night cruise and stay under the airline weight limit for one big bag in addition to a carry-on. There are 3 formal nights on a 15 night cruise. Port clothes get sweaty and dirty. We had to do laundry on our TA this past April (that was a 15 nighter, plus we spent 2 nights in NOLA on the front end and 4 nights in Rome after, so all told it was a 21 nighter.) Do you pack 21 pairs of underwear? (Do you even HAVE 21 pairs of underwear?) Do you pack 21 of those XXL shirts in your one bag and keep it from being overweight? We sent things out, used the wash & fold bag-o-laundry deal, and also hand washed a few things in the sink. And we will have to do it again on our 15 night Panama Canal cruise next April (plus 2 nights in San Diego on the front end.)

It would be wonderful to have access to a washer and dryer on those long cruises! (It would also be wonderful if people would not make judgements of others' needs based on their own limited experiences...:p...Just sayin'...)

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

Even on a two week cruise I have never run out of clothes. I do bring small packets of detergent if I want to rinse out a few delicates ( which I would not wash in a laundromat to begin with) and maybe my bathing suit. As others said decent pants can be worn more than once.

And considering we also DO wear formal/semi formal clothes, we still meet the weight limit.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You are absolutely correct! We did a 15 night TA on Navigator in April and I know for sure there is no self-service laundry.

Judy

We were on the Navigator in April as well, with Judy & Buz. (Hi Judy & Buz!)

There are no self-service facilities on RCI ships. We have been on RCI twice (14 days and 15 days) and RCI ran two $25 specials on each cruise. All you can stuff for $25. Have more stuff? You can get multiple bags for $25. Just ask your steward. Both cruises were TAs to Europe, and we were going to travel around Europe for a bit. It's not just airline luggage restrictions; it is my reluctance to haul two suitcases per person that makes me grateful for this service. There are train stations where elevators are scarce. Or where you need to walk to the end of the platform to roll your bags over the tracks if you don't want to climb up and down stairs. Or the delightful bed and breakfast in Sorrento that was two flights of stairs above street level. I'm trying to manage a 3-4 week trip on one suitcase (with wheels and less than 50 lbs.) and one carry-on per person.

In 2012 the laundry was back the next day. From one load, three items were missing, and, remarkably, upon calling, RCI was able to locate the three items in very short order.

In 2013, in took longer to get the laundry back. I think it was two days the first time and three the next. Our steward kept us advised. Was not a problem.

Your steward knows which days will be the $25 special days and will alert you. It is also mentioned in Cruise Compass in plenty of time.

We could stuff about 40-45 pieces in a bag: T-Shirts, underwear, socks, etc. Don't put anything in that needs ironing, like a dress shirt. For that you need to pay hotel style prices for cleaning. We've used those services sparingly, maybe twice in our cruises. Excellent service each time, although at a price. Try not to dribble on yourself while eating. On lobster tail night, wear a napkin as a bib, unless you like melted butter on your clothing. You will likely never again see those people who think you look foolish.

On Princess (3 cruises), there are self-service laundry facilities. We brought rolls of quarters (no need to wait a guest services for change) and pre-bagged powder. When we had a full load, I would put it into a machine (only once was every machine in use) and do something for 20-25 minutes. I would return with my Kindle, wait for the wash to be done, and load the dryer. Same thing. Go for a run around the deck, get a drink, try to avoid spilling the drink on my clothing, etc. (Yes, it is tough to run while holding one of those $6.95 drink specials with the little umbrellas and fruit. That does not mean you should not try. Multi-tasking.) Return, read Kindle, dryer finishes, fold laundry and be done.

For those people who don't want to do laundry on the cruise: don't do laundry. Bring what you need and manage. I won't point out that you've worn the same shirt every night at dinner. I can't remember what Judy & Buz wore at any event, although I know what they look like.

For those who do laundry: there is nothing wrong with you. Ignore the taunts of folks who bring enough for the whole cruise.

I like having the self serve laundry rooms and so do many others as I have witnessed how crowded they become by the end of the cruise and on certain days of the cruise. Fortunately, my family is usually up early and can beat some of the crowded times. Self serve laundry rooms are great for longer cruises. They are also great for bathing suits and workout clothes which I really don't like packing back in the suitcase even though I cover them in bags. Since My family is used to having the convenience of them on other cruiselines, it is something that we will miss on our Explorer cruise. Although I can't wait for the cruise, I am not looking forward to having to wait for the $25 bag deal to have my workout clothes clean.

• 3 years later...
You know they have medications out on the market........lol.

I know, but wouldn't you love to meet this poster. They have been postin forever, never read replies, and they cruise a lot. You might be in the diamond lounge, and you see an odd person sitting there, don't you wonder if it is... her????

I know I do.

JC