Port Compass tours

I am interested in using this company for our Med cruise this summer Venice to Barcelona. The prices look better than the ships and they are an American based company so you can pay with dollars or personal checks. Any feedback? (It doesn't seem as if the search function is working? Is it ever?)I have read some good reviews of this company in South American ports but am specifically interested in their reputation in the Med. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

We usually check things out pretty thoroughly, and I found the same thing that you did. Please see some separate threads (or I can e-mail you directly) for our recommendations for French Riviera and Tuscany region in Italy guides. I contacted Port Compass and was not impressed with their services in Europe (although everyone raves about their services in South America) for several reasons. First, the e-mails and info I read from Port Compass indicated no flexibility in the itinerary regarding the villages selected or the time spent in each village. When we were with our guides, we were free to stay as long as we wanted or to move along to another village if we felt we had seen enough on that stop. Second, the guides we hired offered to help us form a group, and Port Compass said they would not assist. We formed our own group, but I would think that if Port Compass wanted a booking, they would be willing to try to put passengers in contact with each other from the same sailing. Finally, Port Compass was more expensive than the guides we ended up using. So that's just what we found, and we were thrilled with the guides that we did hire, so I hope it works out for you one way or the other.

Donna

Thanks Donna for your reply. I have decided not to use Port Compass either. They wanted to be paid in full now for a tour that will take place in August. It is not that they wanted a credit card to hold the reservation they wanted full payment. When I questioned this, they said I could pay 50% to reserve the tour. That would be over $900! I checked out all your suggestions on different threads. They were very helpful. Thanks

Kathy

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I found reviews using "Google". Just type in Portcompass reveiws and you should find some.

As to them wanting money up front. I asked them about that and they said that they will go on a tour in only one person shows up. You only have to pay for yourself and not for people who do not show up. The people that do not show up are still paying.

This would prevent you having to pay for a full van if one or two couples fail to show. Most people show up for their tours!

I am considering them to, but have not decided yet. I am on the "Liberty" sailing on Aug 25.

Just FYI for those who have not sailed Europe before--my husband and I have sailed Europe 11 times and have had itinerary changes on 3 sailings due to weather occurrences. Please note that two of the itinerary changes were when we were sailing in high season, not shoulder season. Weather changes can occur anytime, anywhere, and I think Port Compass's position is that you don't receive a refund if you can't make the tour even if your whole ship doesn't come into port. Most of the other tour operators (other than Sylvie Christo or something like that in France) don't require a deposit and don't penalize you if you can't make it through no fault of your own.

Happy travels to all,

Donna

• 6 years later...

Just returned from a southern carrib. cruise and used them for the 1st time in Barbados with other cruise critic friends & will not ever use them again. They did not take us to all the sites they promised and we ended up paying to see things we thought were included in tour price. We are trying to get a refund due to the poor service.

Anthea

Archived