where to buy gifts?

AerynSun_JohnCrighton

I am an educator and am wanting to pick up a little something for my kids ( K, so ages 5 and 6)

What are some good, inexpensive things to be on the look out for?

What about adults... coffee?? Cocoa? etc? Where and what prices should I expect?

cash or cc? I'm assuming cash...

Thanks,

Meg

Where will you be? Puerto Barrios? (castillo de tomas) Pretty much everywhere has these little handmade woven bracelets that are colorful and usually like 3q each. The coffee is VERY good. For adults that would probably be the best gift. They also have some good, cheap, local cigars if you have folks who smoke. 'Puro's'. I would pay for everything in cash. You can go to any ATM and use your american accounts to get cash, just make sure to let your bank/credit card company know you'll be down there.

Where will you be? Puerto Barrios? (castillo de tomas) Pretty much everywhere has these little handmade woven bracelets that are colorful and usually like 3q each. The coffee is VERY good. For adults that would probably be the best gift. They also have some good, cheap, local cigars if you have folks who smoke. 'Puro's'. I would pay for everything in cash. You can go to any ATM and use your american accounts to get cash, just make sure to let your bank/credit card company know you'll be down there.

For local currency you mean?

For local currency you mean?

Local currency is easier, but if you want to pay in dollars you usually can at most gringo shops. I would steer away from using youg credicard at shops. Thost little bracelets will run your around 50 cents a pop, pound of coffee is maybe $5.

At the port, there is a shopping area at the far end of the pier. It had many items - jewelry, coffee, bags, t-shirts.

We bought coffee - 16 oz of beans was $12 at a booth at the far end. We bargained down to $22 for two bags (she wouldn't move very much). It was $15 at a booth in the front. We also bought an embroderied table runner. They have various sizes but this one was 6 feet long. Initially told $125 but got it for $50. Also bought some jade earrings.

There seemed to be plenty of little items - bracelets, little dolls, purses. All the vendors here take US$.

We did the Rio Dulce tour with a stop in Livingston. There were plenty of opportunities to buy there as well (again US$ were fine). We didn't buy anything here but the people that did bargained down the initial high price. Same items as at the pier.

The exchange rate was 7.5 q to $1

• 6 months later...

I have been to guatemala a couple of time. You can as other said buy woven braclets for the kids or nice woven bookmarks. For adults I would buy anything made of the great cotton cloth in beautiful patterns. I have bought dozen of cloth coasters, placemats. I try to buy from the street vendors or in the markets if possible. I pay in queztales , the local currency when not buying in established store.

• 3 months later...

We bouight some lovely hand embroidered linens at the outdoor market place near the port. Just be alert and pay attention to your surroundings. Looks like a great place for pickpockets but we've always 'looked alert' and had no problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived