On the fence about Nassau

TheCruisingNerd

I am going on the December 14 th sailing of the Oasis of the Seas and really don't know what to do in Nassau. The time there is so short and early in the morning. Is it even worth getting off the ship?

The three times I have been to Nassau, I have gotten off the ship and walked around the town. Seeing the McDonald's and Dunkin Donuts makes it worth the trip for me (No I do not eat there, just enjoy seeing things from home at other places).

But look at the excursions, and see if there is something that piques your interest. If not, then do not get off, or get off for 30 minutes and walk around. I always like to at least get off when I arrive anywhere.

I don't know anything about you, your likes and dislikes, your age, your physical condition, your traveling companions, your time in port, etc, etc, and you want me to tell you if it's worth getting off the boat in Nassau?

Considering the lack of information, all I can say is the ships wouldn't stop there if there was nothing to do.

Whether or not those things are things you are interested in and/or able to do, only you know.

There are a bazillion (ok, that's only an estimate!) things to see/do in Nassau! Do a Google search and you'll find plenty of options beyond the limited ones the cruise line will provide. The Nassau section here will have lots of suggestions as well. I cannot imagine going somewhere and not seeing/experiencing it, even a little bit.

Get off, get on....up to you! If you do leave the ship, you certainly don't have to stay off all day! If you've never been, get off, and amble about for a while. If you've been before, staying on the ship is fine! It doesn't have to be an either/or thing!

I am going on the December 14 th sailing of the Oasis of the Seas and really don't know what to do in Nassau. The time there is so short and early in the morning. Is it even worth getting off the ship?

Since it's at a time of year which may be chiller that you might expect early in the morning when you'll be there, we would just stay on the ship.

LuLu

~~~~

I don't know anything about you, your likes and dislikes, your age, your physical condition, your traveling companions, your time in port, etc, etc, and you want me to tell you if it's worth getting off the boat in Nassau?

Considering the lack of information, all I can say is the ships wouldn't stop there if there was nothing to do.

Whether or not those things are things you are interested in and/or able to do, only you know.

That's not entirely true LOL.............Ships stop at Cape Canaveral. That's a departure port not a destination. Not much to do there at all.

We have been to Nassau many times and have taken short and long excursions- some on our own.

If a cruiser wants to stay near the pier- the British Colonial Hilton is a beautiful historic hotel right near by. One can walk or take a cab and have tea and sweets (or lunch) there in the dining room.

We avoid the Straw Market and crowded places near the pier, but have enjoyed many good excursions in Nassau.

I find it annoying they direct foot traffic walking down the docks from the ships away from walking a straight line to the street by keeping the gates closed. That forces people to walk through the terminal with all the stalls and tables trying to sell us all sorts of trinkets. There is nothing there we want to see and would far prefer to go directly on our way to the street. It sometimes annoys me enough I don't bother to leave the ship.

I like to experience any port stop at least one time, so in my opinion, I think it is worth it for you to get off the ship if you have never been there before.

I would grab a guide book, look at the ports of call section of this board, or even use Google to get some ideas of things you can do.

There is a wonderful inexpensive walking tour of Nassau available. The Visitor's Center is in the clock tower building which is walking distance from the pier.

The tour is approx. one hour with a guide. You will go to the Legislative buildings, see some of this historic buildings, learn something about Bahamian history. When we took the tour, we (DH and I) were the only ones so it was like a private walking tour. It's been several years, but at the time we took the tour, it was $10 (US $s) per person. I'm sure the price has gone up.

I like to experience any port stop at least one time, so in my opinion, I think it is worth it for you to get off the ship if you have never been there before.

This is what I was going to say as well. After our first visit to Nassau (after we nearly didn't make it back to the ship alive), we decided it wasn't a port we would ever visit again (not by choice anyway). Last year on our cruise, we were redirected here instead of Coco Cay, so we stayed on the ship. We weren't the only ones either. The pool deck was very crowded that day.

Everyone won't share the same opinions about ports, so you should get off and find something fun to do. We've never stayed on the ship when it was our first visit to the island. :)

I find it annoying they direct foot traffic walking down the docks from the ships away from walking a straight line to the street by keeping the gates closed. That forces people to walk through the terminal with all the stalls and tables trying to sell us all sorts of trinkets. There is nothing there we want to see and would far prefer to go directly on our way to the street. It sometimes annoys me enough I don't bother to leave the ship.

Sadly, that's true of many of the "modern" ports. And, that's not too bad if you are racing back from a long excursion (no time for shopping) -- but find yourself needing to pick up a couple of things in that port. :cool:

About a 8-10 minute walk from the port is a hotel that also has a cigar making shop and chocolate factory in it. They also let you use their pool and amenities if you are hanging there for the day while the ship is in port. I believe there is a restaurant there too. I think it is called the Whitecliff House.