Voyager Monte Carlo - Dover: Cabin Selection

DavidJ

This may read silly but I wondered if there is any advantage on the starboard side in terms of view while underway on this northbound itenerary. I've read comments somewhere that one is too far out at sea to see much of the shore when sailing along the Spanish and French coasts but I have my doubts. :confused: If anyone has any experience with this I would appreciate their thoughts.

David

What many consider the advantage of Starboard side is not so much when the ship is moving, but when the ship is docked. The Voyager seems to set the gangway down starboard side about 75% of the time so whether you're docked or tendering you can watch the passenger "action" as they depart and return. As for the actual view when you're docked...most docks are pretty ugly but you will likely have a land view more times than port side. Some prefer the port view when docked so it really is a personal preference.

Oh interesting, I hadn't thought of that! We are booked starboard on this cruise, and I had done it simply because we might catch glimpses of land. But I did enjoy watching the port action on the Diamond last summer, from our balcony. (Of course, on that itinerary, there was a brass band playing at each arrival and departure--doubt that will happen in France and Spain!)

since when we did the reverse itinerary this year (southbound), we choose the port side and were happy with it. Generally this will also tend to put you on the shaded side in the PM (at least when under way during the day.

Great cruise BTW!

(But no brass bands)

• 2 weeks later...

I am on this cruise also and had originally booked on port side. My travel agent suggested I change to starboard so the opportunity to see land would not be missed. I only had to go up one category, which was only a couple hundred dollars. If it had been alot more money, it probably is not worth it. See you in June!

We did the Radisson business air on a past Europe trip and said "never again." There were multiple connections and many more hours on jets and in airports than necessary. Definately not an enjoyable way to start or end a luxury vacation. We booked the regular business class for this trip through Radisson and although it is significantly more money, experience told us it is worth it!

Archived