Bermuda private guide

fancycroozer

I'd like to re-recommend David Fox who gave us a great tour back in April. He was recommended by a local and we were very pleased. Since the fares are regulated, they all charge the same rate. He was extremely attentive. Others have used him since, but he isn't highly publicized on this site! You can reach him at thefox@logic.bm

I'd like to re-recommend David Fox who gave us a great tour back in April. He was recommended by a local and we were very pleased. Since the fares are regulated, they all charge the same rate. He was extremely attentive. Others have used him since, but he isn't highly publicized on this site! You can reach him at thefox@logic.bm

Thank you!!! We booked David Fox several weeks back and we noticed he didn't have as much feedback as others but he was very responsive via email.

Dennis Hollis, if you're reading this board, thank you for a wonderful tour of Bermuda on 6/18. We really enjoyed the day with you.

Hi Carol

I don't know if you remember me but we met on the Eurodam inaugural cruise a few years ago. Hope this email finds you and your family well.

Candi and I will be in Bermuda next month and since it's been a while, I was wondering what tips you can offer us.

All the best!

P

I do remember your names and I know we met on board the Eurodam. There are several posts on the main HAL board about the Veendam and Bermuda. Someone just did a power point report and I think it's on the main page. Bermuda is beautiful. We hired a private guide for the first afternoon and then went to Horsehoe Beach the next day. We were lucky and had great weather but not such a great time on the Veendam. We were in a lanai cabin and they were painting the ship and the lower promenade deck and we couldn't use our chairs or the deck so that soured us on the cruise. But, they should be finished with that maintenance by now. Have a great time.

What is the rate for private tours ?

The Bermuda Government Taxi Touring Rates are regulated: 1-4 passengers $40.00 per hr. 5-6 passengers $55.50 per hour. (Most drivers drop the 50 cents).

We were there on a Saturday and Sunday. We booked with David Fox (thefox@logic.bm USA phone #(441)334-7965) for a 5 hour tour beginning at noon on Saturday, with two other couples from our ship that we met through Cruise Critic. We were having such a great time that we asked him if we could extend another hour. 6 hours still seemed rushed, as we wanted to have lunch, put our feet in the sand, taste his recommended drink "Dark & Stormy" and shop a little. He has a very new mini-van which was perfectly suited for 6 adults.

Many people have asked if it would be worthwhile on a Sunday. My answer would be YES! Most of the retail establishments on the island are closed Sunday. The Dock Yard shops are all open, but since it pretty much caters to the cruise industry, I would have preferred to browse more in South Hamilton when the shops were open and tour on Sunday if our schedule had allowed.

If I were to do our trip over again, I'd have asked David Fox to do the tour in reverse order and drop us off in South Hamilton so we could shop a bit and catch the Ferry back to the ship. (It is really easy!) Or I'd start out on our tour early on Sunday and done the ferry/shopping on a Monday-Saturday.

All and all, the taxi tour is the way to go if you only have a day or two in port. Otherwise, you miss out on the beautiful homes and points of interest that are not on the public transportation routes!

Does anyone know if Taxi's are readily available at the dock for private tours? I've been trying to prearrange a tour for my only day in Bermuda, with no luck. Dennis & Duke are already booked, no response from Colin but suspect he's booked (from a previous post) & I did hear back from David Fox, but his van only holds 6 & there's 8 of us. Also David quoted $55 per hour, does that sound right?

Thanks.

Does anyone know if Taxi's are readily available at the dock for private tours? I've been trying to prearrange a tour for my only day in Bermuda, with no luck. Dennis & Duke are already booked, no response from Colin but suspect he's booked (from a previous post) & I did hear back from David Fox, but his van only holds 6 & there's 8 of us. Also David quoted $55 per hour, does that sound right?

Thanks.

The $40/hour is a tour for 1 to 4 passengers; $55/hour is a tour for 5 or 6 passengers.

SBtS

I toured with David and had a great day. You could cram another person or two into his van, but the taxis are regulated to a maximum of 6 people. There are taxis available at the pier, but look for one with a blue flag to designate them as a tour operator. If you read previous posts on this site I believe you will find references for some tour bus operators. If you need more than 6, that may be what you need. It may not be as flexible.

Hi everyone, we were on the Summit and used Colin Jennings the first week of July. Because we had a large group, he had to bring another taxi driver. That driver was Sydney Robertson.

We enjoyed our day thoroughly. They met us outside our ship and took us on a tour that was suitable for our group which included children through grandparents.

I will say that Colin was not good on email as has been reported. However, he is a top notch guide.

The other part of our party was in Sydney's taxi and they enjoyed it. Also we saw Sydney every day as we got off of our ship and he always said hello to us, and asked us if we needed anything. When we could not find the catamaran tour we had booked privately, he called them for us, and, when he saw we were waiting too long he called them again to ask where they were.

His contact info is: sydrob@northrock.bm. His cell number is 441-335-0888.

You can't go wrong with either gentleman.

Edited by JandD Mom

Colin had told us by e-mail quite some time back that he would be available for a tour when we are there on Explorer. Now that we are less than 2 weeks off, though, I have not been able to get an e-mail response confirming details. I figure we'll just look for him when we disembark and if we can't locate him will move on to "plan B." For those who have toured with Colin, can you please tell me where you met up with him? Is he located where the other blue-flag taxis are, or did he meet you in a different designated spot?

FYI - Duke is booked; Dennis Holis is off the Island & we are waiting to hear from Colin again. I also am looking into this firm....http://www.gartours.com/html/destinations.html. Their buses hold up to 14. We could have a private tour for $10/hr/person. Has anyone used or heard of them. Anybody else interested?

Judy

Just came back from Bermuda & used GAR Tours. George drove us and was great. He was informative, well-spoken, and just an overall nice gentleman. He has a van, not a bus. Clean & good air-conditioning, which was needed with the brutal humidity. We had 10 people plus George so everyone was comfortable.

The $10/hr/pp needs a minimum amt. of people, per site: 1-6 $60. per hour, each add'l person over the 6th is $10./hr/pp. George said he likes a min. of 7 people since the van is large. We had 8 in my group of family/friends but there were 2 people as he picked us up that asked about touring with him. George asked us if we minded if they joined our group & we said fine. There was no pressure on us to add them since we had a private tour, and he was clear about that, but I knew it would provide this couple with a more reasonable option than hiring a cab at $40. an hr. for 2 people. They turned out to be a lovely couple who added to the enjoyment of our day & hopefully they had fun with us. If you don't have the min. amt. of people needed, maybe write to him and ask if there is anyone else that has inquired & only has a small amt. of people that you can join in on tour. Believe me, I sent the man a lot of e-mails with questions - lol. He was always prompt & pleasant.

We did a 4 hr. tour that started at the Dockyard. He picked us up exactly on time, covered all the island with stops getting out at lighthouse (time for those that wanted to climb), time at a little church where he discussed the bldg. style & at our request since in our conversation with him he mentioned he was a religious man we asked him to lead us in a prayer for a friend having surgery that day. He did so with such beautiful words that it really provided comfort. George also gave time to walk down by Warwick Long Bay (I believe name - a beautiful cove area next to Horseshoe Beach).

We ended tour in St. George (our request to do that) & took the ferry back after a little browsing & lunch.

I'd definately recommend George. My e-mail contact with him was at alratteray@logic.bm

He answered all e-mails very promptly. Tell him Lynne & her group recommended him & say Hi!

I'd definately recommend George. My e-mail contact with him was at alratteray@logic.bm

He answered all e-mails very promptly. Tell him Lynne & her group recommended him & say Hi!

Thanks LynneL....we're scheduled for our October stopover and its good to know he's as good as he sounded in his e-mails & the phone call I made to confirm. We have 6 so far, but I suspect it won't be a problem to get 8. We have a couple gentlemen who need to sit up front or in an aisle. He said the seating arranging was 4 rows of 3? How was the van with 8?

Hello!

Here is part of an email that I received from Colin today. I will be using him again for 2 days on my upcoming September Explorer cruise, and we have both used him so many times over the past years and refered so many people to him that we have become friends. Here is what he wrote:

""

I do apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I did have a death in my family, my close cousin who I grew up with died and my brother is sick in the hospital and have been extremeley busy. The funeral is finally over so things are settling down again.

Please let everyone know that I am okay and I am getting back to my normal schedule of answering e-mails. I will try my best to answer all e-mails today and I apologize for any people who I may have missed already.

Thank you so much for your concerns and I am also looking forward to seeing you all soon too.

So please hang in there and give him a little more time if you're waiting to hear from him. I'm sure he'll do his best to catch up. I promise you he's worth the wait! - Miriam

Thank you!!! We booked David Fox several weeks back and we noticed he didn't have as much feedback as others but he was very responsive via email.

We also used David Fox ( thefox@logic.bm ) after seeing the recommendation on this thread. He happened to be free (I was so lucky as my planning was quite short on notice) and gave us a marvelous tour. I contacted via email initially; he then responded via email for my number and phoned me so we would have firm plans. My family (4 adults and 2 kids) fit well in his beautiful new cab. He drove quite well (not like the crazy guys running us to the beach and back the next day), made sure to take us to lots of little spots where we would see things important to Bermuda and also that would interest us specifically. I know we will use him again if we are able to make it back. I highly recommend him, especially if you are going with your family and want a thorough tour of Bermuda!

Based on CC recommendations DH and I are booked with Duke Soares for a May 31st island excursion. Rate is $40.00 per hour for up to 4 people. It's $55.00 per hour for 5-6 people. Tour is minimum of 3 hours. He suggests to start early and to get a good overview of the island you would need at least 4 or 5 hours.

I tried to contact Duke at: bdashortz at hotmail dot bm

regarding a visit this fall

Does anyone know if he is still in business and/or has a new email

address?

i will be in bermuda in october on the explorer with my aunt and son, who is 13 with severe autism. i would like to take a tour of the island......what would be the best way to do so??? who would you reccomend?? im not sure if we could find more people to make it a larger group....

any help is helpful!! thanks

With the help of CC members I reached out to a few recommended taxi guides inquiring about a tour when we arrive on Wednesday Oct 10. Rather than go by ourselves we were wondering if anyone else would like to join us; or for that matter if someone already has a tour booked and wouldn't mind 2 extra people to help offset the cost we would be happy to join you. :D