Anyone ever solo on Carnival Elation?

sandisue

I am seriously considering a solo cruise in the Fall on the Elation. This will be my first solo cruise, but I have cruised many times before with my sweet husband. I lost him about 2 1/2 years ago to an early on-set dementia. He passed away in Oct., which is why I am planning a Fall trip. The past two years I have stayed at home and re-lived those last days of his life, but this year I am definitely not going to do that. I am going somewhere and really think a cruise would be just the answer. He and I always enjoyed Carnival and New Orleans is a good port for me to get too. :)Any feedback will be welcome.

I am seriously considering a solo cruise in the Fall on the Elation. This will be my first solo cruise, but I have cruised many times before with my sweet husband. I lost him about 2 1/2 years ago to an early on-set dementia. He passed away in Oct., which is why I am planning a Fall trip. The past two years I have stayed at home and re-lived those last days of his life, but this year I am definitely not going to do that. I am going somewhere and really think a cruise would be just the answer. He and I always enjoyed Carnival and New Orleans is a good port for me to get too. :)Any feedback will be welcome.

I also lost my husband 2 1/2 years ago in October. He passed away from a very rare form of non curable cancer. We were able to take our last cruise together in January 2009 and then he fought a very hard battle. I took my first solo cruise in September 2010 to celebrate our lives together. We have a large camping trip in October to celebrate his life with many family and friends. That has really helped me to know how much he was loved not only by his family but his friends also.

Your husband would not want you to stay home and relive his last days but for you to be happy. I prefer cruising solo on Carnival because they seem to always seat solo cruisers together for dinner. If you go to the maitre d when you board the ship he will tell you what size table you are at and if there are other solo cruisers, their ages, etc. If you do not feel the table you are at is a good fit they will move you to another table. I like sitting at a large table (8-10) because there is always someone I seem to hit it off with and have kept in touch with many of these people. Also go to the roll call boards and see who else is on your cruise. Most people are so friendly on a cruise and you can do as much as you want with other people or nothing at all if you so choose.

Go with a good attitude and I am sure you will have a good time.

Thank you so much for the encouragement. There are so many of us in this "boat". Being widowed this soon in life was not in my plan and I do believe that my sweet husband would want me to go on and enjoy life to the fullest just as he and I always did. I am so encouraged that solo travel has become rather common. Gives me the push I need! Thanks again everyone!:)

Went cruising with Carnival for the first time last May. I usually go solo on NCL and was nervous about trying Carnival. Went on the Elation when it was cruising from Mobile, Alabama. Initially, I was going to pick anytime seating but due to demand was switched to late dining. Being a solo cruiser, I had the fear of being put at a table with a family. I talked to the Maitre'd and he said that I was at a table of 8 consisting of 3 other singles and two couples. Two of the other singles didn't show up but I had a great time with the other couples and other single. It appears that Carnival will try to seat other singles together.

Overall, the ship is wonderful and the crew did an excellent job. This ship is not too big or too small so you won't get lost within the crowd. Met some wonderful people who I shared shore excursions with. You are going to have a wonderful time.

• 2 months later...

I'm thinking of a solo cruise in November on the Conquest (after hurricane season!). However, though I prefer the larger Conquest, I wouldn't mind checking out the Elation for a shorter cruise... I'm in my 60's, work full time, and have been divorced for over ten years. It is getting harder and harder to find friends or family who can get away when I can, or who can come up with the money to cruise. Let me know if you ladies would be interested in some companionship (at dinner, etc.) or, better yet, asking around and getting a group of solos together.

I am already hooking up with a group that is planning a trip for November, 2013, but would love to cruise this year, too.

Lynne

• 3 weeks later...

I just got off the Elation doing a solo cruise! I did the 5 day down to Progresso and Cozumel! I had a blast.... I found a deal on an inside cabin but it turned out to actually be a port hole room. M11 was the cabin number and it was a great cabin with plenty of space. It had 2 port holes which allowed enough light to let you know it was day time but not enough to blind ya. It was a great cabin but it's at the very front of the ship.

I had a blast but I enjoy traveling by myself. The Elation is very easy to navigate with plenty of friendly people on board.

-Matt

Archived