S/O do I need to purchase & bring a life vest for 17 mth old?

psimpson3-5

We will be taking a cruise to Bermuda on 8/30. Do I need a life vest for DS? I realize that the ship will have some in case of emergencies, but what about on the island and during excursions? Is it necessary? It seems like yet another item to lug around. I'd much prefer to avoid it if possible.

What excursions will you be doing? I mean, if you're just going to the beach and will not be letting your child loose in the water, why would you need a lifejacket? If you are doing an excursion where one is required, it should be supplied...make sure before you book!

On the ship, they will have lifejackets for kids....you don't need to bring one.

Short answer: no

Long answer: it depends. Depends on your child's age, swimming ability, your parenting style...does your child normally wear a vest when he is near water?

I have never brought a life vest for my child, but that is me. The ship and excursions have them for emergencies. When we go to the beach or pools, an adult is always right there.

Short answer: no

Long answer: it depends. Depends on your child's age, swimming ability, your parenting style...does your child normally wear a vest when he is near water?

I have never brought a life vest for my child, but that is me. The ship and excursions have them for emergencies. When we go to the beach or pools, an adult is always right there.

This exactly!

The only time DD (2) has ever worn a vest was at a water park where they were supplied & required and on her grandpa's boat (required by law) so we never even considered taking one.

When we go to the pool she will often wear her inflatable water wings because she likes wearing them, but an adult always has hands on her. We took her water wings on the cruise & I think she wore them once (we were all comfortable for her to go without in the kids area of Allure & we always had a hand on her when in anything other than he splash area).

If she had never really been exposed to pools/swimming it might have been something we considered, but she's been in pools nearly weekly for almost 2 years so we have our routine with it.

We bring our own lifejackets to the beach. My kids are 6, 4, and 2, and I can't keep my hands on all 3 at once, so I feel like they are necessary in our situation. We use the puddle jumpers, and just attach them to the straps of our beach bag.

We have taken one before for our toddler and will probably take one In October for my 2 yr old. We usually go on snorkeling excursions so I prefer my kids to have a life jacket I am comfortable with.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks for your advice. We haven't planned any excursions yet. It's becoming a bit of a headache. I've asked in the Bermuda forum for suggestions and a very short few told me that there's really no excursion that will be good for DS. Just going to the beach, shopping, the aquarium and zoo.

Archived