"Freedom" to be Topless?

jwattle

Okay...done the thread searches ad nauseaum...all I can find is that in the Eureopean itineraries, topless sunbathing is allowed on the "St. Tropez" deck, while in the US it isn't. How about in the Caribbean, which is where the Liberty and the Freedom sail? :rolleyes: Does "Freedom" prevail then?:p

I believe Carnival is the only cruise line with a "topless" dedicated area. Funny thing was, on our last Carnival cruise, we did use the topless deck. It is up high at the funnel on one end of the pool area and has the railings "tarped" so that the people down below cannot see......but the kids standing in line for the slide.....Now that was a different story. Yep, they can look right down onto the topless deck (this was on the Victory). It was pretty funny.

Celebrity Millennium had a topless area front of the ship when we were in Europe in July. I don't know if it's offered on the Caribbean itineraries.

Dave

We were on a cruise on Millie in April. There is a topless area forward and very high with signs informing you that it is a top optional area. So to answer your question, yes they had topless on our eastern carribean cruise.

David

Heck, on our last cruise (Brilliance) a woman routinely changed her ENTIRE bathing suit ON DECK -- EVERY DAY!!!! Yep--not just the top--but ALL of it! Needless to say, that area of the upper pool deck was always crowded. There were a few 10-14 year old boys that won't be forgetting this cruise anytime soon!

It's legal to go topless in Canada soo...

What if the ship is in Canadian waters like Vancouver? I guess the ship is US territory but heck, give it a shot!

The ship is never US territory, all of them except for NCL America are foreign flagged.

I believe Carnival is the only cruise line with a "topless" dedicated area. Funny thing was, on our last Carnival cruise, we did use the topless deck. It is up high at the funnel on one end of the pool area and has the railings "tarped" so that the people down below cannot see......but the kids standing in line for the slide.....Now that was a different story. Yep, they can look right down onto the topless deck (this was on the Victory). It was pretty funny.

Ahhh to be a kid again... :D

Then why do I have to go through customs (a Canadian) while getting on board in Canada? That would make me assume the boat is actually American.

I don't understand either. Are you a Canadian living outside of Canada? Where did you do the customs thing before boarding, at the airport? I guess it doesn't matter, there's a reason for it. But gkrebs is right. NCL is the only cruisline with ships US flagged (they sail in Hawaii only I believe). This has something to do with the Jones Act. Just like in Florida where RCI stops at Key West. All aboard, even the Americans, go through customs in Key West and the ship sailed out of Miami (though it did stop in a foreign country too)!

topless sunbathing is allowed on the "St. Tropez" deck, while in the US it isn't. How about in the Caribbean, which is where the Liberty and the Freedom sail? :rolleyes: Does "Freedom" prevail then?:p

It's allowed

1) only in your dreams

2) only in DH dreams, and whats good for the goose is good for the gander, if they allow men to "bottomless" bathe, then

3) only in my dreams!

Then why do I have to go through customs (a Canadian) while getting on board in Canada? That would make me assume the boat is actually American.

I dont know Canadian laws. But have some questions and you might be able to help me learn something.

1. when you are boarding the ship, is it a customs check or an immigration check?

2. If its an Immigration check, and the first port is US, do you go through another type of check before you can get off the ship at that port, or if you stop at a Canadian port first, then go to a US port, do you have an immigration check before you get off? Also, who is doing the check, is it US or Canadian?

3. If there is no subsequent Immigration check at a port of US entry, it might be that US Imigration has this pre arranged that you go through Immigration prior to your boarding in Canada.

4. Or is it that Canadian law requires Immigration checks when leaving the country, unlike the US.

Besides the Alaskan cruises that leave from Canada, does RCI home port anywhere else in Canada? when I typed my response I was thinking totally of East coast cruise (my bias) and wasnt thinking of Alaska. If your talking about the Alaskan cruises, the questions might make more sense. If you do immigration before boarding and nothing when you arrive , then US immigration is getting you before you leave. Hmm, now I'm wondering if its not both Immigration and customs in this case. Im going to post the question.

Now if other Americans come on here and say we have to show our birth certificates or passports to board the ship in the US, this is not an Immigration check, the cruiseline is only making sure you can get back into the country and have no problem with US Immigration

Okay...done the thread searches ad nauseaum...all I can find is that in the Eureopean itineraries, topless sunbathing is allowed on the "St. Tropez" deck, while in the US it isn't. How about in the Caribbean, which is where the Liberty and the Freedom sail? :rolleyes: Does "Freedom" prevail then?:p

You are getting the Carnival Freedom mixed up with the Freedom of the Seas. The RCI Freedom of the Seas is not leaving the Caribbean to go to Europe. The Carnival Freedom does cruise in Europe. Carnival does have a topless deck and you can use it in US waters, Caribbean or in Europe.

I don't understand either. Are you a Canadian living outside of Canada? Where did you do the customs thing before boarding, at the airport? I guess it doesn't matter, there's a reason for it. But gkrebs is right. NCL is the only cruisline with ships US flagged (they sail in Hawaii only I believe). This has something to do with the Jones Act. Just like in Florida where RCI stops at Key West. All aboard, even the Americans, go through customs in Key West and the ship sailed out of Miami (though it did stop in a foreign country too)!

I ogt the answer as to why Candaians go through customs and Immigration when boarding a ship in Canada. Its because they are US bound and are pre clearing both US Customs and Immigration at boarding. Its beacuse of the port stops, so the other poster didn't realize it was because of US Immigration and Custom Laws that they were going through it Other wise they would be forced to do it at the first US port of call.

Almost same Principle for the US folks when we are on a Southern or Eastern cruise that goes to other countries first. We have to do immigration at the first port of entry (remember St.Thomas) then we do customs in either San Juan or Miami as long as there are no other stops in between. This kind of explains why on Southern Cruises, St. Thomas is always the first port (no Immigration involved since we havent left the US) or the last stop (Immigration done there no customs). Oh this is interesting, being the sneaky person I am, why not mail everything that I bought thats illegal (like cigars) home from St. Thomas. There would be no customs check involved at all. I bet that kind of question on the main board would get alot of posts. I need to ask this one in a discreet manner.:D

The topless/not topless deck issue is a result of cruiseline policy, not government regulation. Celebrity does have topless decks on itineraries in the Caribbean; Royal Caribbean does not. Carnival has them in both areas. By the way, you can see most of the topless deck from the deck on the other side of the pool so if you are modest after taking your top off, snuggle up to the covered railing!

Why do American's think it's ubber cold up here...lol. We get the same seasons you do folks! :rolleyes:

I watched the Radiance of the Seas cruise of Alaska on the Travel Channel. I didn't see one person in a bathing suite never mind topless.

Yes.

On your balcony.

Or in critterchick's dreams. :D

Heck, on our last cruise (Brilliance) a woman routinely changed her ENTIRE bathing suit ON DECK -- EVERY DAY!!!! Yep--not just the top--but ALL of it! Needless to say, that area of the upper pool deck was always crowded. There were a few 10-14 year old boys that won't be forgetting this cruise anytime soon!

Gee, I never saw anything that funny on Brilliance. Maybe we were on different cruises. I'll BET those boys won't forget....:eek::D

Fran in Toronto

Archived