Question about taking an iron

Greenesailor

We are going on the Eclipse in three weeks and I want to know if I can take an iron or a steam iron.

No you can't. They will catch it when it goes through the scan and confiscate it...will return it at the end of the cruise.

I have taken my steamer, but it's all plastic. Sure do miss bringing my iron. Used to years ago. I iron everything. They should set up a room, where passengers are able to iron, that have ironing boards and irons.

Not only are irons on the Do Allowed list, so are steamers.....all plastic or not. Not sure what that has to do with it.

Den

Not only are irons on the Do Allowed list, so are steamers.....all plastic or not. Not sure what that has to do with it.

Den

A misstype on my part. That was suppose to read that irons and steamers are not allowed to be brought on board.

Den

We have run the risk and successfully taken an irons with Princess in the past.

On Celeb cruises with no laundry rooms I assume other than their expensive laundry service there is no way to iron your clothes ... unless of course you smuggle an iron in that

I think the laundry prices are pretty reasonable. There's some things I wouldn't have done for the price, for example underwear and socks, but I prefer to do that sort of stuff myself and bring enough for the whole trip. The items I have washed or pressed tend to be the more occasional like jackets or smart shirts.

Funny thing about laundry rooms. I have seen things get a bit heated in there (pun intended) on Azamara. Go on a cruise and end up in a fight over who is next using the dryer. Think I'd rather get it sent out!

Phil

A little tip I had a few years ago is take a spray bottle with you and when you start to unpack fill with hot water and spray clothes individually as you hang them - this will get rid of any creases - it works every time for me and I have never needed to iron, not even hubbie's shirts etc and yes I am very fussy about creased clothes!!

Use drycleaner bags in your packing process. The plastic acts as a buffer

and definitely helps with the prevention of wrinkles. I have been using

them for years.

them for years.

Along with this, I pack travel size Downey Wrinkle Release.

Ditto to both of these suggestions. ;)

We also use the pressing service at times. We just returned from a cruise on Freedom of the Seas and paid $1.50 for ironing a shirt. I seem to remember that X is about the same price.

If you search YouTube using the keywords "bundle packing hackcollege" there is a great video demonstrating how to bundle pack your clothes. I have been doing it this way for a while and it's great. It feels wrong to start with, but persevere because it works. Few if any wrinkles and quicker to pack too.

Phil

These threads always make me wonder about the huge majority of people who cruise without benefit of CC--how many of THEM bring irons/steamers and the like? Or DON'T bring their alloted two bottles of wine??? :eek:

I expect there are many. At the same time, if someone not familiar with cruising or not familiar with Celebrity does not bother taking the time to do a little research beforehand either on these boards, on Celebrity's website, by reading their cruise documents, or via their TA, then I guess I am not going to feel sorry for them :)

On Celeb cruises with no laundry rooms I assume other than their expensive laundry service there is no way to iron your clothes ... unless of course you smuggle an iron in that

Unfortunately the 'risk' you are taking is also the safety of other passengers. Fire at sea is by far the biggest risk to life. You may say of course you are always very careful with the iron. Just a couple of years ago a house down the block in my middle-class neighborhood burned down because their iron was left on by mistake. I am thinking they believed they were very careful and it would never happen to them either. On a ship that oversight would likely have cost lives. :(

them for years.

That's exactly what I was going to say. I can roll them and cram a lot in a bag and nothing ever gets wrinkled! :D

I hope that anyone who has to be on the same ship with you in the future catches this post and alerts security before you get on board. I know for darned sure I would rat you out.

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Where can I buy the dry cleaning bags (other than at the drycleaners)? Does Walmart sell them?

You can use garbage bags;).....I have a regular drycleaner and he

always gives me them at no extra charge whenever I need them:)

LOL Classy! :p

Huh? I was just meaning, most folks buy garbage bags anyway

and if they did not want to spend money on drycleaner bags

the plastic garbage bag would serve the same purpose.

Archived