Customs in Vancouver

CMcG

Taking a Princess cruise from Vancouver to Whittier in May - have no idea what I need to know about customs in Vancouver. I keep reading information and getting more confused.:eek:

Do I need any sort of paperwork to clear customs when we fly in to Vancouver? Do we need to have prescriptions in original containers? Will they question the various vitamins that we usually put in baggies for each day? Do we need a list of anything we are traveling with like computers or cameras?

Our plan is to buy wine & some toiletries in Vancouver - do we need to do anything special about those purchases to clear US customs getting on the ship?

I'm sure it is much less hassle than I'm anticipating but want to be as prepared as possible so everything goes smoothly.

TIA

Cheryl

Taking a Princess cruise from Vancouver to Whittier in May - have no idea what I need to know about customs in Vancouver. I keep reading information and getting more confused.:eek:

Do I need any sort of paperwork to clear customs when we fly in to Vancouver? Do we need to have prescriptions in original containers? Will they question the various vitamins that we usually put in baggies for each day? Do we need a list of anything we are traveling with like computers or cameras?

Our plan is to buy wine & some toiletries in Vancouver - do we need to do anything special about those purchases to clear US customs getting on the ship?

I'm sure it is much less hassle than I'm anticipating but want to be as prepared as possible so everything goes smoothly.

TIA

Cheryl

The only special paperwork you'll need will be handed to your by the airline staff short before you land. Prescriptions shouldn't be an issue; likewise small personal purchase made in Vancouver wont be an issue prior to boarding the ship.

I am assuming you have passports, right?

The only special paperwork you'll need will be handed to your by the airline staff short before you land. Prescriptions shouldn't be an issue; likewise small personal purchase made in Vancouver wont be an issue prior to boarding the ship.

I am assuming you have passports, right?

Yep - passports were the first thing taken care of after booking the cruise!

As FYI, liquor is quite a bit more expensive in Canada. For example wine is 2x what I'm used to here in California. However, I like to try local wines and enjoyed a few bottles of BC wines which we purchased from BC Liquor. There's a store about 15 minutes' walk from Canada Place.

As FYI, liquor is quite a bit more expensive in Canada. For example wine is 2x what I'm used to here in California. However, I like to try local wines and enjoyed a few bottles of BC wines which we purchased from BC Liquor. There's a store about 15 minutes' walk from Canada Place.

I've already been warned about sticker shock - but carrying wine from FL just doesn't make sense with all the other things that need to go in the luggage. I'd rather pay more for my wine than pay for an extra checked bag or an overweight luggage fee.

I've already been warned about sticker shock - but carrying wine from FL just doesn't make sense with all the other things that need to go in the luggage. I'd rather pay more for my wine than pay for an extra checked bag or an overweight luggage fee.

Agree- I wasn't suggesting you put the wine in your checked luggage. You will like the new and different labels available in Vancouver.

With regard to the prescriptions and the vitamins, I would take the original containers with you to keep the issues to a minimum (customs officials seem not to like mystery pills in a world that has different ideas as to what's legal, what's not legal, and what can be bought over the counter.) I also agree with comments about BC Liquor Stores and the local wines they vend. Once you get over the sticker shock you will agree with the idea of thinking globally - and drinking locally!

Enjoy your trip.

TIA

Cheryl

Prior to landing in Vancouver a cabin attendant will provide you with a Canada customs form to fill out. With regard to prescription medications, the strictest letter of law dictates that they should be in their original containers however from a practical point of view this is seldom, if ever an issue with people transiting between Canada & the US, however if you are taking something that is a controlled narcotic then for sure it should be in the original container accompanied with a copy of your doctor's prescription.

Wine, you may bring into Canada 1.5 litres per adult, thats two .750 bottles, duty free. If you choose to buy it in Vancouver be prepared for sticker shock, California wines are two and three time the cost here. The closest BC Liquor store to Canada Place is about a 3 block walk east of Canada Place on Cordova St. at Seymour St.

Toiletries can be purchased at any number of drugstores in the downtown core.

At Canada Place you will be handed a US customs form to fill out. The form does not reference wine just the total value of goods aquired in Canada and being imported into the US. Now US law dictates that only 1 litre of wine can be imported into the US however this to my knowledge is seldom, if ever enforced, on a cruise departing from Canada Place.

Prior to landing in Vancouver a cabin attendant will provide you with a Canada customs form to fill out. With regard to prescription medications, the strictest letter of law dictates that they should be in their original containers however from a practical point of view this is seldom, if ever an issue with people transiting between Canada & the US, however if you are taking something that is a controlled narcotic then for sure it should be in the original container accompanied with a copy of your doctor's prescription.

Wine, you may bring into Canada 1.5 litres per adult, thats two .750 bottles, duty free. If you choose to buy it in Vancouver be prepared for sticker shock, California wines are two and three time the cost here. The closest BC Liquor store to Canada Place is about a 3 block walk east of Canada Place on Cordova St. at Seymour St.

Toiletries can be purchased at any number of drugstores in the downtown core.

At Canada Place you will be handed a US customs form to fill out. The form does not reference wine just the total value of goods aquired in Canada and being imported into the US. Now US law dictates that only 1 litre of wine can be imported into the US however this to my knowledge is seldom, if ever enforced, on a cruise departing from Canada Place.

The prescription drugs for thyroid & high blood pressure will all be in original containers - and also the OTC antihistimine & decongestant, Ibuprophen & aspirin. It is the dozen or so vitamins that we take that I would hate to have to carry original containers as many are large, heavy glass bottles - if I make up little packets for each day then two weeks worth will fit in a quart sized baggy.

Appreciate the specifics on how the customs process works - I'm used to packing the car for a week in a cabin in the woods - flying across the continent and into another country is out of my range of experience - way more red tape involved!

With regard to the prescriptions and the vitamins, I would take the original containers with you to keep the issues to a minimum (customs officials seem not to like mystery pills in a world that has different ideas as to what's legal, what's not legal, and what can be bought over the counter.) I also agree with comments about BC Liquor Stores and the local wines they vend. Once you get over the sticker shock you will agree with the idea of thinking globally - and drinking locally!

Enjoy your trip.

I'm hoping the staff at the BC Liquor can recommend some local wines - we are open to new experiences! We're only looking to purchase 2-750ml bottles of wine - just enough for sipping on the balcony.

The prescription drugs for thyroid & high blood pressure will all be in original containers - and also the OTC antihistimine & decongestant, Ibuprophen & aspirin. It is the dozen or so vitamins that we take that I would hate to have to carry original containers as many are large, heavy glass bottles - if I make up little packets for each day then two weeks worth will fit in a quart sized baggy.

Appreciate the specifics on how the customs process works - I'm used to packing the car for a week in a cabin in the woods - flying across the continent and into another country is out of my range of experience - way more red tape involved!

You will be just fine then.

I'm hoping the staff at the BC Liquor can recommend some local wines - we are open to new experiences! We're only looking to purchase 2-750ml bottles of wine - just enough for sipping on the balcony.

There was a time that they wouldn't/couldn't help....but today they are happy to help and make recommendations. Let's see two bottles will get you to Ketchikan where there is a great wine shop called Wines International in Salmon Landing.:)

There was a time that they wouldn't/couldn't help....but today they are happy to help and make recommendations. Let's see two bottles will get you to Ketchikan where there is a great wine shop called Wines International in Salmon Landing.:)

I'm hoping it will get me to Juneau - have a pretty packed day in Ketchikan and may not have time to find wine!:eek:

Anything we need to do for the reverse trip? We are leaving from YVR after the cruise on the 6 am flight. Do we really need to be at the airport 2 hours ahead? What do we need to have ready for customs?

Anything we need to do for the reverse trip? We are leaving from YVR after the cruise on the 6 am flight. Do we really need to be at the airport 2 hours ahead? What do we need to have ready for customs?

Yes you do. The USA does pre-clearance at YVR which means you'll spend that time in line waiting to clear customs PRIOR to boarding your flight (or entering the Transborder area - aka E gates). That can add 2-90 minutes to what you would consider a normal checkin process, how much time is a complete gamble. (I've gone right through and I've waited 90 minutes)

As US customs does not open until 0500 a full 2 hours is not necessary in your case but I would recommend being there by 0430 to complete check-in and deposit your luggage for security screening. You could save yourself a few minutes at the airport by obtaining a US customs declaration at the Passenger Services Desk on the ship and completing it in your hotel before heading for YVR.

I'm hoping it will get me to Juneau - have a pretty packed day in Ketchikan and may not have time to find wine!:eek:

If you are on a direct flight into Vancouver from a major US airport you can also purchase from the duty free shop in the airport prior to boarding your flight. The duty free store will tag your purchase with your flight number and deliver it your gate where it will be handed to you as you board your aircraft.

If you are transferring aircraft in Canada then you will need to slip the duty free into your checked luggage before going through security again.

If you are on a direct flight into Vancouver from a major US airport you can also purchase from the duty free shop in the airport prior to boarding your flight. The duty free store will tag your purchase with your flight number and deliver it your gate where it will be handed to you as you board your aircraft.

If you are transferring aircraft in Canada then you will need to slip the duty free into your checked luggage before going through security again.

No direct flights from Orlando to Vancouver that I could find - we change planes in Denver. We probably have time to find a duty free shop there - would the duty free shop be out by the gate? I won't even bother if it means going through security again - once in a day is plenty!:eek:

No direct flights from Orlando to Vancouver that I could find - we change planes in Denver. We probably have time to find a duty free shop there - would the duty free shop be out by the gate? I won't even bother if it means going through security again - once in a day is plenty!:eek:

It's been a few years since I have been to Denver but yes you should find a duty free store inside of security, that is generally where they are located. However they often do not have much by way of a selection of wine, it is usually spirits, tobacco and perfumes that they concentrate on.

Here's the info for DEN's duty-free

http://www.flydenver.com/shopdetails?URI=tcm:8-1100

And yes, there are no non-stops to Florida from Vancouver; however you can fly non-stop to Cuba..

It's been a few years since I have been to Denver but yes you should find a duty free store inside of security, that is generally where they are located. However they often do not have much by way of a selection of wine, it is usually spirits, tobacco and perfumes that they concentrate on.

Probably just wait til Vancouver - I want a bit of a selection.:D

Here's the info for DEN's duty-free

http://www.flydenver.com/shopdetails?URI=tcm:8-1100

And yes, there are no non-stops to Florida from Vancouver; however you can fly non-stop to Cuba..

We may pop in for a look if that's near our gate - thanks.

Sure you can get to Cuba non-stop from FL but can you get back?:D:eek:

There must be a special school for determining airline routes & schedules. I understand the idea of optimizing based on hub and supply & demand - but sometimes they are just ridiculous.

Last time we flew we had to go through Fort Lauderdale to get from Orlando to Las Vegas to get reasonable time & price. Luckily for both flights we were switched to a direct flight when we got to the airport.

CMcG, DH and I were just discussing how many cities there are that can't be accessed nonstop from Orlando. We chose to fly Air Canada to Toronto and then on to Vancouver...that route had better flight times for us! I understand that we will be going through customs in Toronto..anyone have any experience with that???

CMcG, DH and I were just discussing how many cities there are that can't be accessed nonstop from Orlando. We chose to fly Air Canada to Toronto and then on to Vancouver...that route had better flight times for us! I understand that we will be going through customs in Toronto..anyone have any experience with that???

That is correct you will clear Canadian customs in Toronto....it's no big deal, you will be given a customs form to complete before landing, one form only needs to be completed per family but each family member traveling will need to sign it. You will clear customs with your passport and the form, then collect your luggage and as you exit the customs area you will hand the form to a customs officer. The time expended will depend upon the volume of people arriving when you do.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/e311-eng.pdf

That is correct you will clear Canadian customs in Toronto....it's no big deal ....

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/e311-eng.pdf

Done the transfer in Toronto many times. Some tips.....

- When you arrive in Toronto there are three customs area, one for passengers transferring onto international flights Asia/Europe/South America (their bags are automatically transferred), one for passanges going to the US (you clear US Customs before boarding your flight) and one for passengers making domestic connections or staying in Toronto. There are staff to guide you into the correct customs area.

- When you get into the line for customs if it is busy, they open up a fast line for connecting passengers such as yourself.

- If you did the duty free in Orlando you need to slip you liquids into your checked baggage before you put the bags back into the system.

- After you hand in your card and leave the customs hall to the left there is a hallway that leads to connections/baggage drop off. Air Canada agents are there to put your bags back into the system and rebook you if you missed a connection. There are flights between Toronto and Vancouver every hour.

Archived