Getting to Vasa Museum in Stockholm and a question about the Nobel museum

We will be in Stockholm on July 28 (as part of our 9 day Norwegian Star cruise) and want to get to the Vasa museum early since it opens at 0830. We want to beat the crowds, see this first and then explore other parts of Stockholm. We will do HoHo for the remainder of the day but the first HoHo boat doesn't leave the cruise ship dock area/port until 1010. My question is - does anyone have any advice as to how get to the Vasa museum earlier (we don't want to wait until 1010)? (We'd prefer not to break the bank by paying a taxi). Second question - is the Nobel museum worth visiting? We haven't been to Stockholm before so there is lots to see. Thanks for any help.:)

you can take the ferry over to the island with the Vasa Museum but I don't know what time that starts, probably early enough. you can also walk to the island, it's about 20 minutes from the Gamla Stan area.

Sorry, I can't answer your specific question but I would think a bus or tram would be the way to go.

I wanted to say though that getting there is early is definitely the way to go. I don't remember exactly what time I got there (it was early) but we had the place essentially to ourselves for a while. By the time we were ready to leave, about an hour or so later, it was getting very crowded.

We will be in Stockholm on July 28 (as part of our 9 day Norwegian Star cruise) and want to get to the Vasa museum early since it opens at 0830. We want to beat the crowds, see this first and then explore other parts of Stockholm. We will do HoHo for the remainder of the day but the first HoHo boat doesn't leave the cruise ship dock area/port until 1010. My question is - does anyone have any advice as to how get to the Vasa museum earlier (we don't want to wait until 1010)? (We'd prefer not to break the bank by paying a taxi). Second question - is the Nobel museum worth visiting? We haven't been to Stockholm before so there is lots to see. Thanks for any help.:)

For info about HoHo see this post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=42884442#post42884442

Vasa and Gamla Stan should be your priority, however the Nobel Museum is located in Gamla Stan at Stortorget.

Edited by Desdichado62

It HAS been reported by several who have been that when ships are in port early, the HoHo boats are there to meet them. I wouldn't always go by what is on the web site. If there is an email, or even a phone number, why not get in touch with them yourself to get first hand info.

as was said in another thread, you could always use the 76 bus, which usually stops right by Frihammen.

Cheers

Len

Has NCL told you where you will be docking? That will make a difference. There are 2 or 3 locations in Stockholm where ships dock. Frihamnen (mentioned in a posting above) is one of them. However, according to the Stockholm ports website (http://www.stockholmshamnar.se/en/Map/Vessel-traffic), the Star is expected on July 28th to be at "BOJ1 FORTOJNING PA STROMMEN". I did a little Googling and this appears to be a buoy location closer to central Stockholm than Frihamnen is. This presumably means you will be docked in the water and tendered to shore nearby. However, I don't have any info on what that drop off location will be for the tenders. Perhaps someone local will be better able to help pinpoint this location.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Not that this will help much but we went to Vasa when we were there last week and got there about 10:30am. With tickets already in hand, the wait was about 20 minutes just to get in the door. Getting there early would be worth a little added expense to beat the hordes. We were told that the boats run earlier than the schedule shows when there are cruise ships in port.

As Giantfan13 mentioned, if you haven’t already, try contacting them by email.

Thank you everyone for your help. I can't believe how amazing the Cruise critic website (and the people on it) are!! I will follow up with the various suggestions. I'm learning lots (I didn't even know you could find out where your boat docks). Thanks for your time.

Shannon:D

It HAS been reported by several who have been that when ships are in port early, the HoHo boats are there to meet them. I wouldn't always go by what is on the web site. If there is an email, or even a phone number, why not get in touch with them yourself to get first hand info.

as was said in another thread, you could always use the 76 bus, which usually stops right by Frihammen.

Cheers

Len

That is what the poster,Harbour20, at the link above did. Click the link the read the answer Harbour20 got.

My two cents:

Take the HoHo boat in Stockholm. Fast and cheap and fun. Vasa can get crowded but wait wasn't that long for us. We got there about 9:30 off the HoHo/

I'd forget the Nobel Museum. Boring. You can get a quick look from the lobby and store inside the museum.

Don't miss Vigeland Park in Oslo. Absolutely one of the highlights of the Baltics! Google it.

you can take the ferry over to the island with the Vasa Museum but I don't know what time that starts, probably early enough. you can also walk to the island, it's about 20 minutes from the Gamla Stan area.

Shannon, I agree with SparkleBee, your ship (NORWEGIAN STAR) will moor at the Strömmen buoy and the fastest way from where your will be dropped off

to Vasa is the harbour ferries called Djurfårdsfärjan, which departs at the same places as you are dropped off. You can't miss them since there a big signs

and flags marking their position. https://www.google.se/maps/@59.321246,18.073591,3a,35.6y,77.35h,83.57t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s36fYuo5g7n8xta4bR6qVsA!2e0!6m1!1e1

Also see these threads for more info:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2052272

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=42454119&highlight=allm%E4nna+gr%E4nd#post42454119

http://kartor.eniro.se/m/1uRkS

Edited by Desdichado62

• 1 month later...

We were on the Eurodam and docked at Frihamnen. The HOHO boat did come to that location at the beginning of the day. I think there was a 9 and 9:30 boat that basically taxied people to the downtown stopping at Vasa first. We happened to visit the Vasa about 12:30 PM and basically walked right in . . . but that was the first day of our visit. There were 2 more ships on the second Stockholm day and you could definitely see the difference in traffic. We also went to the Nobel Museum, on the request of our oldest who is a Physics PhD student. He was hoping to focus on the Physics winners and he was disappointed by the museum. It is not classified by area of award (ie. all the Chemistry winners here, Physics there, etc.). The winners have sheets of paper about them that hang down from a line that circulate around the room . . . it is above your head so it is difficult to read and find the person you are interested in. That son said he would skip the museum in hindsight. We maybe spent 30 min. there.

We were on the Eurodam and docked at Frihamnen. The HOHO boat did come to that location at the beginning of the day. I think there was a 9 and 9:30 boat that basically taxied people to the downtown stopping at Vasa first. We happened to visit the Vasa about 12:30 PM and basically walked right in . . . but that was the first day of our visit. There were 2 more ships on the second Stockholm day and you could definitely see the difference in traffic. We also went to the Nobel Museum, on the request of our oldest who is a Physics PhD student. He was hoping to focus on the Physics winners and he was disappointed by the museum. It is not classified by area of award (ie. all the Chemistry winners here, Physics there, etc.). The winners have sheets of paper about them that hang down from a line that circulate around the room . . . it is above your head so it is difficult to read and find the person you are interested in. That son said he would skip the museum in hindsight. We maybe spent 30 min. there.

May I correct you, the HoHo boats do not go to Frihamnen so your ship probably docked at Stadsgårdskajen next to the (red) Viking Line ferries.

Because there were 3 ships docked at Frihamnen, the HOHO did come to the dock in the morning ONLY about 3 times. (They handed out a flyer with the extra info so you could use the connections). I think there was a 9, 9:30 and 10:00. They were also sending a shuttle directly from stop 1 back to the port. There were lots of people to accomodate so they made the adjustments to fit the crowd. They did a much better job of adding extra buses than they did in Copenhagen (where the schedule was simply left as printed). The other nice things was that they honored our tickets (stated as 24 hrs.) for the two days that we were in Stockholm . . . no need to buy a second one. (They graciously explained, 24 hours of operation).