Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


 

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 2nd, 2013, 07:38 AM
bryanjaync bryanjaync is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 931
Default Suggestion to RCI (and I have not even sailed yet)

This November will be my first time on RCI (specifically Liberty). A suggestion to RCI: Open at least on deck of the main dining room for lunch on embarkation day.

Been on other lines that do this (last year NCL), and the main dining is a great alternative to the crowds at the buffet. It was especially good for us, since we were travelling with my 83 yo. parents, and the hustle and busy of embarkation buffet would be alot to deal with. I am guessing it would also be great for families with kids, alot easier to manage kids and carry ons if you can sit and have a meal at the MDR. I realize that there are staffing issues on embarkation day, but other lines seem to manage well.

So, if RCI reads this, I think you should look into opening the MDR for lunch on embarkation day.

(Okay, maybe once I actually sail RCI, and yes we are taking my now 84 yo parents, I may be proven wrong, and hope so.)
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old February 2nd, 2013, 07:49 AM
papaflamingo's Avatar
papaflamingo papaflamingo is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 976
Default

I believe, may be wrong, that turnaround day is the only off time that dining staff has. To open the MDR woud mean even more crew having zero time to phone home, go ashore, or catch up on sleep.
__________________






Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:16 AM
1cat4jan 1cat4jan is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 281
Default

It would be nice to start the cruise with a sit down lunch - especially those who traveled the day of embarkation, but the logistics of finding places for your carryon luggage at a dining table will not work. There is just no space around the tables for all that stuff.

We were on the Oasis. They mentioned another area for lunch - but we found the Windjammer wasn't all that crowded. Plus, they opened the Japanese restaurant so you could use the tables for a Windjammer lunch. They had waiters to get you drinks.

I don't know how bad it would've gotten after 1:00 but by that time, we were already in our cabin.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:23 AM
macruisefan macruisefan is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,458
Default

I have actually developed an affinity for having lunch somewhere before boarding and avoiding all the hassle and crowds. I know I'll have a whole week to enjoy the ship, so I'm no longer in a hurry to get on board right away.

I much prefer to have a nice meal landside. Then, by the time I board, the cabins are ready and I can relax!
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:24 AM
macruisefan macruisefan is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,458
Default Experience carrying luggage on board

delete.

Last edited by macruisefan; February 2nd, 2013 at 08:27 AM. Reason: delete, wrong thread
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:26 AM
BND's Avatar
BND BND is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,769
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaflamingo View Post
I believe, may be wrong, that turnaround day is the only off time that dining staff has. To open the MDR woud mean even more crew having zero time to phone home, go ashore, or catch up on sleep.
Actually, that only applies to part of the staff as the rest are in the Windjammer and others are delivering luggage. They really don't get a day off. A few hours sometimes in a port if it doesn't interfere with their schedule or sleep time.
__________________








Grandeur of the Seas 18 March 2014
Allure of the Seas 03 Nov 2013
Explorer of the Seas 15 Mar 2013
Explorer of the Seas 04 Nov 2012
Enchantment of the Seas 10 March 2012
Freedom of the Seas 16 Oct 2011
Enchantment of the Seas 23 July 2011
Explorer of the Seas 07 Nov 2010
Explorer of the Seas 19 Mar 2010
Grandeur of the Seas 25 July 2009
Carnival Miracle 22 April 2009
Carnival Glory 01 Nov 2008
Dawn Princess 21 Oct 2007
Carnival Glory 11 Nov 2006
Carnival Fantasy 13 Nov 2005
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:29 AM
BND's Avatar
BND BND is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,769
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by macruisefan View Post
delete.
It has to fit through the xray scanners when you first enter the terminal. They have no other way to xray/scan carryons. I have never seen anything larger than a small airline size carryon or garment bag.

Um, okay, you deleted your question while I was answering.
__________________








Grandeur of the Seas 18 March 2014
Allure of the Seas 03 Nov 2013
Explorer of the Seas 15 Mar 2013
Explorer of the Seas 04 Nov 2012
Enchantment of the Seas 10 March 2012
Freedom of the Seas 16 Oct 2011
Enchantment of the Seas 23 July 2011
Explorer of the Seas 07 Nov 2010
Explorer of the Seas 19 Mar 2010
Grandeur of the Seas 25 July 2009
Carnival Miracle 22 April 2009
Carnival Glory 01 Nov 2008
Dawn Princess 21 Oct 2007
Carnival Glory 11 Nov 2006
Carnival Fantasy 13 Nov 2005

Last edited by BND; February 2nd, 2013 at 08:30 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:29 AM
sherilyn70's Avatar
sherilyn70 sherilyn70 is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 3,044
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanjaync View Post
Been on other lines that do this (last year NCL), and the main dining is a great alternative to the crowds at the buffet.
Why not eat in one of the other spots on board instead then? Cafe Promenade, Sorentos, etc. Not sure of Portifinos is open for lunch or not but that could be another option if it is.
__________________




------------------------------------------------------------

HAL Veendam / Canada & New England /June 7, 2014

RCL Oasis of the Seas / Western Caribbean / February 4, 2012
Carnival Victory / Southern Caribbean / February 6, 2011
Carnival Destiny / Southern Caribbean / December 12, 2004
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:42 AM
skibyrd's Avatar
skibyrd skibyrd is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 320
Default

If you are on Oasis class, Giordanno's is open for a nicer lunch ($15 I believe). We just had our 83 yo parents with us on Oasis and we did the Park cafe, got them a nice place to sit in Central Park - worked out well! Enjoy!!
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:46 AM
macruisefan macruisefan is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BND View Post
It has to fit through the xray scanners when you first enter the terminal. They have no other way to xray/scan carryons. I have never seen anything larger than a small airline size carryon or garment bag.

Um, okay, you deleted your question while I was answering.
Thanks BND! I accidentally posted as a reply here, but meant it to be a new thread as it was unrelated. Sorry!
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:53 AM
cruisnseas cruisnseas is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 566
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaflamingo View Post
I believe, may be wrong, that turnaround day is the only off time that dining staff has. To open the MDR woud mean even more crew having zero time to phone home, go ashore, or catch up on sleep.
No, they do not have it off. They are helping clean the ship, prepare the galley, setup the MDR for a new cruise, load provisions, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanjaync View Post
This November will be my first time on RCI (specifically Liberty). A suggestion to RCI: Open at least on deck of the main dining room for lunch on embarkation day.

Been on other lines that do this (last year NCL), and the main dining is a great alternative to the crowds at the buffet. It was especially good for us, since we were travelling with my 83 yo. parents, and the hustle and busy of embarkation buffet would be alot to deal with. I am guessing it would also be great for families with kids, alot easier to manage kids and carry ons if you can sit and have a meal at the MDR. I realize that there are staffing issues on embarkation day, but other lines seem to manage well.

So, if RCI reads this, I think you should look into opening the MDR for lunch on embarkation day.

(Okay, maybe once I actually sail RCI, and yes we are taking my now 84 yo parents, I may be proven wrong, and hope so.)
Good God no. As someone that worked onboard (albeit as loyalty) I can attest that turn days (embarkation days) are the single busiest days for the crew. Please do not suggest to add to their duties.

Other lines manage it by overworking their staff. I have a friend on NCL right now and she get two 10 minute meal breaks on embark days. She works dining. She has to eat in the galley.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old February 2nd, 2013, 09:12 AM
Paulxyz2004 Paulxyz2004 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,097
Default

While I keep reading on CC how bad the WJ is on embarkation day for lunch, I´ve never had a problem having lunch on embarkation day in the WJ, be it alone, with my 75 yo mother or in a group.

I do understand some people just don´t like buffets and prefer to be served, but I really can´t relate to problems on embarkation day.
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old February 2nd, 2013, 09:20 AM
dixieva's Avatar
dixieva dixieva is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,065
Default

I carry on a 24 inch tall suitcase with no problems. And I have seen even larger suitcases than mine carried on.

It's the height and width that matters more than the length.

That being said-lunch in the MDR on embarkation day would be a zoo with all of the carry on luggage.
__________________
Past cruises:

23 total

Royal Carribbean, Carnival, Princess and Holland America



PLUS!
Crown and Anchor Diamond Plus Member








Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old February 2nd, 2013, 09:27 AM
emmacruises00 emmacruises00 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaflamingo View Post
I believe, may be wrong, that turnaround day is the only off time that dining staff has. To open the MDR woud mean even more crew having zero time to phone home, go ashore, or catch up on sleep.
I agree. I mean, it would be really nice for there to be another lunch option instead of just Windjammer, but we have to consider the crew, too! They are a lot of what makes our cruise great! Besides, if you are on Voyager class and up, there are a few other options.
__________________
Explorer of the Seas (2000)
Star Princess (2002)
Grand Princess (2004)
Adventure of the Seas (2004)
Crown Princess (2007)
Norwegian Pearl (2007)
Carnival Valor (2008)
Norwegian Jewel (2009)
Navigator of the Seas (2011)
Carnival Destiny (2011)
Monarch of the Seas (2012)
Liberty of the Seas (2012)
Carnival Breeze (2012)
Freedom of the Seas <3 (2013)

Coming up:
Navigator of the Seas, August 2014 (birthday cruise!!!)
Cruise Countdown Tickers
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old February 2nd, 2013, 09:41 AM
sjb317's Avatar
sjb317 sjb317 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieva View Post
I carry on a 24 inch tall suitcase with no problems. And I have seen even larger suitcases than mine carried on.

It's the height and width that matters more than the length.

That being said-lunch in the MDR on embarkation day would be a zoo with all of the carry on luggage.
Two weeks ago security at port canaveral stopped several people at the door, telling them their luggage had to be checked. First time I've ever seen that!

Sherri
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old February 2nd, 2013, 09:54 AM
Familygoboston's Avatar
Familygoboston Familygoboston is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Boston Area
Posts: 6,420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibyrd View Post
If you are on Oasis class, Giordanno's is open for a nicer lunch ($15 I believe). We just had our 83 yo parents with us on Oasis and we did the Park cafe, got them a nice place to sit in Central Park - worked out well! Enjoy!!
This is a really great idea on a ship with specialty dining. It was the best (and only) $30 bucks we spent on specialty dining all week. Not only did we get to sit and relax, but after having such a big meal midday, we skipped dinner and avoided the first night crazies in the MDR. We went to the empty WJ for something lighter later in the evening.
__________________
Enchantment (Bahamas) photo review:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2002049
Jewel (S.Caribbean) photo review:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1951547
Allure (E.Caribbean) photo review:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1834584
Paul Gauguin (French Polynesia) photo review:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1729992
Galapagos Explorer 2 (Ecuador)photo review:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1702506
Jewel (W. Caribbean) photo review:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1582079
Oasis (E. Caribbean) photo review:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1539995




Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old February 2nd, 2013, 11:39 AM
dixieva's Avatar
dixieva dixieva is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,065
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb317 View Post
Two weeks ago security at port canaveral stopped several people at the door, telling them their luggage had to be checked. First time I've ever seen that!

Sherri

I guess different ports do things differently. I would be upset being told that I had to check a suitcase that I have carried on lots of times! I would have had to unpack it right there and take out meds and valuables that I absolutely would not check. What a mess that would be.

If I ever sail out of PC I'll try to remember this.
__________________
Past cruises:

23 total

Royal Carribbean, Carnival, Princess and Holland America



PLUS!
Crown and Anchor Diamond Plus Member








Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:57 PM
maureencruiser's Avatar
maureencruiser maureencruiser is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Lynchburg, VA
Posts: 3,277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmacruises00 View Post
I agree. I mean, it would be really nice for there to be another lunch option instead of just Windjammer, but we have to consider the crew, too! They are a lot of what makes our cruise great! Besides, if you are on Voyager class and up, there are a few other options.
OP is on the Liberty - he DOES have other options as previously suggested, Promenade Cafe, Sorrentos. I got Sorrentos pizza and sandwiches and took them to my elderly parents in the cabin because they were pooped from a lengthy, cold embarkation..
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:16 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.
Check Cruise Prices
Cruise Line:
Destination:
Month:
Compare deals from top travel sites
Loading vendors ... please wait.
No vendors are available. Try selecting options