Flying into Ft. Lauderdale for Miami Cruise

Cruise a holic

Hello,

We are interested in flying into Ft. Lauderdale for a Miami cruise due to cost effective airline rates. I would appreciate hearing from people have done this. How far away is it from Ft. Lauderdale Airport to Miami? We would be staying iat a hotel in downtown Miami for a night. What is the cost of a cab or private car service? We aren't interested in a shuttle. If we take the ships luggage valet service when leaving the ship, back to Ft. Lauderdale, what is the earliest time for a flight that we might consider taking? Any other information that you have would be helpful.

Thanks

Edited by Cruise a holic

Yes we have done this and we took the commuter train to Miami. It was very easy. It's called the tri rail and it runs from West Palm Beach to Miami.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

We bring too much luggage and truly need a car service. It is a two week cruise and we probably will have three large pieces of luggage and two carry-on's. How far away approximately is the Airport in Ft. Lauderdale to Miami? Any estimate?

Thanks

If you have not posted this on the Home Ports, you may want to try there. I got the info I needed on flying & staying in FLL and sailing out of Miami. Many helpful folks- sure you can get costs and car service recommendations there.

A taxi with tip is in the $80 range. Another option is to rent a car for the day, the drive to Miami is pretty easy.

We actually just looked at this because of flight prices. As far as cost effective, the train was cheapest, then Rental car. Several brands allow you to drop off at the pier.

But really - I can't figure out WHY you bring so much stuff. We've done two week cruises with one carry on each. You're way over packing with two carry ons and three checked bags.

We ended up waiting until there was a sale, and found cheaper flights directly into FLL. http://Www.airfarewatchdog.com is my best friend for this reason.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Edited by jkgourmet

Taxi ride from FLL to downtown Miami is in the 80 $ region - as already posted by others. The ride should be 45 - 60 minutes, depending of traffic and time of day.

BTW: A convenient hotel is the Holiday Inn Port of Miami. Also used by most of the cruiselines for most pre cruise packages.

It is right across the entrance of the port. Bayside Marketplace with all its restaurants and bars is also right across the street.

Edited by Miaminice

We actually just looked at this because of flight prices. As far as cost effective, the train was cheapest, then Rental car. Several brands allow you to drop off at the pier.

But really - I can't figure out WHY you bring so much stuff. We've done two week cruises with one carry on each. You're way over packing with two carry ons and three checked bags.

We ended up waiting until there was a sale, and found cheaper flights directly into FLL. Www.airfarewatchdog.com is my best friend for this reason.

We enjoy dressing up formal nights those clothes and shoes go in a garment bag. On a two week cruise, at least three formal nights. In addition, while we do have laundry service on-board- we each bring a suitcase for our clothes, shoes and supplies. The carry- on is for meds, electronics and a couple of outfits and swim suits just in case our luggage is lost/delayed. We like some variety in our attire. Worth paying for an added bag as we get one piece of checked luggage free each, sometimes two pieces, depending upon the airline.

I have witnessed horror stories of people not getting their clothes, especially in the winter when flights change at the last minute.

Edited by Cruise a holic

Hi Cruise a holic!

We are actually considering that 1/4/15 cruise on the Eclipse, too. It is on the short list for our big next trip. It would be fun to cruise with you guys again.

This is one thing I was thinking about, too. Since our two preferred airlines - JetBlue and Southwest don't go to Miami, we would need to think about this, too.

Good luck!

Hi Cruise a holic!

We are actually considering that 1/4/15 cruise on the Eclipse, too. It is on the short list for our big next trip. It would be fun to cruise with you guys again.

This is one thing I was thinking about, too. Since our two preferred airlines - JetBlue and Southwest don't go to Miami, we would need to think about this, too.

Good luck!

We are also thinking JetBlue or Southwest! I prefer Ft. Lauderdale Airport as Miami is a zoo at times- especially if they are having a music festival or other type of function. Best to also book Miami hotel early. We loved the Eclipse last time we sailed on her.

Edited by Cruise a holic

We recently used the following service to go from Port Everglades port to WPB airport. Excellent service!:)

We paid $150 (including tax and gratuity) for 3 persons, plus 6 pieces of luggage. They go to Miami, as well.

QLS TRANSPORTATION2114 N. FLAMINGO RD SUITE # 1115PEMBROKE PINES, FL 33028Ph: 9549070750 TF: 8887570021 Fax: 9545859172

http://www.qualitylimoservice.com/default.aspx?pageid=1

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g34227-d2310844-Reviews-QLS_Transportation_Day_Tours-Fort_Lauderdale_Florida.html

Edited by Iamthesea

Hello,

We are interested in flying into Ft. Lauderdale for a Miami cruise due to cost effective airline rates. I would appreciate hearing from people have done this. How far away is it from Ft. Lauderdale Airport to Miami? We would be staying iat a hotel in downtown Miami for a night. What is the cost of a cab or private car service? We aren't interested in a shuttle. If we take the ships luggage valet service when leaving the ship, back to Ft. Lauderdale, what is the earliest time for a flight that we might consider taking? Any other information that you have would be helpful.

Thanks

If cost effectiveness matters for airfares, does it not matter for ground transport?

If not, a limo or car service make sence.

If cost effectiveness matters on the ground, I recommend SAS. We have used them multiple times and are happy with the service. Once we had them shuttle us to our Miami pre-cruise airport hotel, and that was fine. All the other times we have gone from FLL to an FLL area hotel via hotel shuttle. The next morning SAS picks us up at the hotel and shuttles us to the port. We like that best.

If an early flight into FLL leaves you with spare time, you might consider a one way car rental, picking up at FLL and dropping in Miami. That allows you to take in some local sights (Everglades, shopping, dining, South Beach, whatever). You can do the reverse if you return flight is a late one. We have enjoyed having our own wheels when we have plenty of hours to kill.

If cost effectiveness matters for airfares, does it not matter for ground transport?

If not, a limo or car service make sence.

If cost effectiveness matters on the ground, I recommend SAS. We have used them multiple times and are happy with the service. Once we had them shuttle us to our Miami pre-cruise airport hotel, and that was fine. All the other times we have gone from FLL to an FLL area hotel via hotel shuttle. The next morning SAS picks us up at the hotel and shuttles us to the port. We like that best.

If an early flight into FLL leaves you with spare time, you might consider a one way car rental, picking up at FLL and dropping in Miami. That allows you to take in some local sights (Everglades, shopping, dining, South Beach, whatever). You can do the reverse if you return flight is a late one. We have enjoyed having our own wheels when we have plenty of hours to kill.

I like the idea of a rent a car for the day, as long as the return point is close to our hotel. The cost of airfare to ft lauderdale vs. Miami is $175pp. So that is very significant! We do like early flights so perhaps we could visit a friend who lives not too far from the airport. Since I like to arrive at the cruise port early and get extremely excited on the sail date, best for us to stay in Miami overnight! You would think my DH and I haven't gone on many cruises, but I get excited for each and everyone of them! I must be 10 at heart!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I like the idea of a rent a car for the day, as long as the return point is close to our hotel. The cost of airfare to ft lauderdale vs. Miami is $175pp. So that is very significant! We do like early flights so perhaps we could visit a friend who lives not too far from the airport. Since I like to arrive at the cruise port early and get extremely excited on the sail date, best for us to stay in Miami overnight! You would think my DH and I haven't gone on many cruises, but I get excited for each and everyone of them! I must be 10 at heart!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

We also get tend to get better fares and better itineraries flying into FLL. If you book a roundtrip car service for two, it may eat up half of a couple's airfare savings. It gets more cost effective if bring a bigger party. Nothing wrong with spend your savings that way if that makes you happy. Personally, I do not mind sharing a shuttle, so we spend our airfare savings on other splurges:D. Sas is about $15 pp each way.

For one way rentals, I have rented at FLL and returned those cars to Avis in downtown Miami and Hertz in downtown Miami and also to Avis in Miami Beach. My first return to Hertz Miami downtown was flawless, but when I used them recently, they had a different location and, though within office hours, there was no staff there at all...and poor signage to boot. In fairness, that was the day of the Miami Marathon, so local streets were closed or congested:eek:. I'll give them another shot before I pass final judgement. Avis downtown has not impressed me for pick up, but was OK at drop off. Staying on Miami Beach is nice for us, and Avis Miami Beach drop off went fine. Cab from Beach to ship is not too expensive, as I recall. I thin Sixt has a downtown location, too, but I think their FLL location is off airport (two shuttles IIRC), so I have not tried them yet. With a friend in the area and so much to see and do in South Florida, a rental car is worth considering.

For one way rentals, I have rented at FLL and returned those cars to Avis in downtown Miami and Hertz in downtown Miami and also to Avis in Miami Beach. My first return to Hertz Miami downtown was flawless, but when I used them recently, they had a different location and, though within office hours, there was no staff there at all...and poor signage to boot. In fairness, that was the day of the Miami Marathon, so local streets were closed or congested:eek:. I'll give them another shot before I pass final judgment. QUOTE]

Comment on Hertz downtown Miami:

we used Hertz downtown Miami after our Reflection cruise in March and were extremely disappointed- I would never use them again. The shuttles from the POM to the rental car office were few and far between, and, once we arrived at the office there was an hour and a half wait to get a car. People dropping off had to get in line as well. After processing the rental, each representative had to leave the desk to go upstairs and see if the car was ready to be released, adding 10-15 min to each rental.

I never thought to check trip advisor for a Hertz rental but did look after the fact and this has been an ongoing issue for at least 2 years.

We do the FLL -Miami port transport every year and have used limos, cabs, and rental cars. The no brainer (IMHO) is to use SAS transport. Super cheap and super reliable. We typically stay in Miami the night before and typically SAS has no other passengers on this route. So the tarrif is like 30 bucks plus a healthy tip to Miami. On the return we do a walk off and can get to the airport within a few hours of docking if that is important.

You are assured a clean vehicle (van) with a friendly driver at a low cost.

I looked into using tri-rail, but the times and location are not convenient.

We used a taxi once from the Miami airport to our hotel in FLL where our car was parked, cost was $80.

On another trip, we flew into FLL, sailed out of FLL, then flew back to Miami Airport, rented a car one-way and drove there. Rental car for one day Miami to JAX was about $120.

I looked into using tri-rail, but the times and location are not convenient.

We used a taxi once from the Miami airport to our hotel in FLL where our car was parked, cost was $80.

On another trip, we flew into FLL, sailed out of FLL, then flew back to Miami Airport, rented a car one-way and drove there. Rental car for one day Miami to JAX was about $120.

Well we did it! I just booked the flight to Fort Lauderdale for our Eclipse January 2015 cruise. I was only able to book oneway. I may book the return flight either from Miami or Ft. Lauderdale, depending upon the rate and times of the flights. Does anybody know if the Luggage Valet service would be available from Celebrity should we depart out of Ft Lauderdale for a Miami cruise?

We do the FLL -Miami port transport every year and have used limos, cabs, and rental cars. The no brainer (IMHO) is to use SAS transport. Super cheap and super reliable. We typically stay in Miami the night before and typically SAS has no other passengers on this route. So the tarrif is like 30 bucks plus a healthy tip to Miami. On the return we do a walk off and can get to the airport within a few hours of docking if that is important.

You are assured a clean vehicle (van) with a friendly driver at a low cost.

Do you have to pre-book SAS for transport from Miami pier to Fll airport?

For OP , we have done fine with getting a shuttle from the line that forms at Fll to go to Miami pre-cruise hotel...you can choose shared ride or pvt which costs more

Edited by hcat

Hello,

Thanks

Exactly what we had to do last Nov. On our Reflection sailing. Southwest only flies to FLL from Dallas. Someone on our Roll Call found a wonderful service that picked us up and took us to the Hyatt in Miami for $13 ea. http://www.gomjstrans.com/ make sure and mention Cruise Critic.

We stayed over on the return to avoid the mad dash to the airports. Would not book the return flight before noon.

Edited by wallie5446

I have witnessed horror stories of people not getting their clothes, especially in the winter when flights change at the last minute.

Yep, been there, done that, 25+ years ago.

Ever since that horror, I rarely agree to checked luggage on the outbound flight of our vacation. Carry-on ONLY for each of us, and a lightweight backpack or shoulder bag (no purse) and we are good to go for 2-4 weeks as long as we can do hand wash and a laundry.