Catalina or Saona?

indsteve

Trying to choose between the Carnival excursion to Catalina Island or the Pro Excursions Saona Island tour in late May. Our party consists of my wife, me, and our four children ages four to ten. Has anyone done both tours or been to both islands? Other thoughts? Thanks.

Steve

We've been to Saona in the motorboats with Seavis and that was a great day. We've been to Catalina with Pro Excursions on their luxury cat "Quetzal" and that was a great day. I normally recommend not taking a ship excursion in this port but you'd have to consider the differences with the younger kids.

The 2 I mentioned require a 20 min taxi to Bayahibe but that's not a big deal and with Seavis at least that's coordinated by them. We were staying in Bayahibe at Dreams and so we just met the ProE team there.

I think the kids would enjoy the Saona trip. The mangroves, rocks, beach, and natural pool with the starfish is a great itinerary. And although the rum flows very freely during lunch on the island and at the Natural Pool the staff is excellent and this isn't a party excursion.

And Catalina also has a nice beach and our day included a coastal tour of the beautiful homes of Casa De Campo and a tour of River Chavon. This day on the Quetzal was very, very nice, and a family with 4 kids really enjoyed that.

What are you on with the Carnival Catalina excursion - motorboats or a cat? One consideration, the motorboats do not have restrooms.

Edited by blue_water

We've been to Saona in the motorboats with Seavis and that was a great day. We've been to Catalina with Pro Excursions on their luxury cat "Quetzal" and that was a great day. I normally recommend not taking a ship excursion in this port but you'd have to consider the differences with the younger kids.

The 2 I mentioned require a 20 min taxi to Bayahibe but that's not a big deal and with Seavis at least that's coordinated by them. We were staying in Bayahibe at Dreams and so we just met the ProE team there.

I think the kids would enjoy the Saona trip. The mangroves, rocks, beach, and natural pool with the starfish is a great itinerary. And although the rum flows very freely during lunch on the island and at the Natural Pool the staff is excellent and this isn't a party excursion.

And Catalina also has a nice beach and our day included a coastal tour of the beautiful homes of Casa De Campo and a tour of River Chavon. This day on the Quetzal was very, very nice, and a family with 4 kids really enjoyed that.

What are you on with the Carnival Catalina excursion - motorboats or a cat? One consideration, the motorboats do not have restrooms.

Thanks, blue water. Carnival describes the transportation to the island as a tender ride. From the photos, it looks like it is a catamaran.

It looks like the Pro Excursions Saona Island tour might have a different catamaran than you had on your Catalina Island tour. Currently, Pro Excursions' description of their Catalina Island tour mentions a 75 foot sail catamaran. The description for the Saona Island tour mentions a 45 foot motorized catamaran.

I'm leaning toward the Pro Excursions tour. It sounds like it has more things to see, plus lunch and drinks, which the Carnival tour does not have. The only downside to Pro Excursions is that I've read on these boards that there can be some confusion making your way to the right taxi at the port. That's a hassle I would prefer to avoid with four young children.

I cam't remember if the Quetzal is 64' or 75' but it has 4 heads! You can always email them and ask about that and about the taxi. For Seavis we had no problems whatsoever with the taxi, you are instructed to head for a bldg at the port and the driver taking you to Bayahibe comes for you. But contact PE and ask if they also work with the drivers.

The motorized cat is not a true cat, at least not like the Quetzal.

I can tell you that both Seavis and Pro E are top notch outfits and will get back to you on any questions. Then you can go with what you feel most comfortable with.