Cellular at Sea - when is it turned off?

RSLeesburg

Is this turned off while in port? Is it turned as you get close to port? We are stopping at PC and Key West, and wanted to see roughly when it would be safe to turn on our cell phones. Also, I thought I remembered that this was turned off while Grandeur sails down Chesapeake.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Is this turned off while in port? Is it turned as you get close to port? We are stopping at PC and Key West, and wanted to see roughly when it would be safe to turn on our cell phones. Also, I thought I remembered that this was turned off while Grandeur sails down Chesapeake.

here's no official time or announcement as to when it's turned off.

You'll know it's turned off when you turn on your phone and it no longer states " Cellular at Sea".

The are supposed to turn it off when they are within some number of miles of shore. So it will be off in port.

The ship has nothing to do with "cellular" service. If you're in the U.S. and you're within receiving distance to a cellular tower you'll get service. As the ship moves further out to sea, away from the tower, signal strength is lost, and with it, your cell signal. Or are you referring to the ship's wifi?

The ship has nothing to do with "cellular" service. If you're in the U.S. and you're within receiving distance to a cellular tower you'll get service. As the ship moves further out to sea, away from the tower, signal strength is lost, and with it, your cell signal. Or are you referring to the ship's wifi?

In addition to WiFi, Royal's ships provides a cellular service called Cellular at Sea. Phones connect to a cell tower on the ship that communicates via satellite with phone company. This service is available while the ship is at sea.

Edited by clarea

Yes and yes.

Its safe to turn your phone on anytime if data roaming is turned off. If your screen says CAS then the tower is still on/ something else, its turned off

And when it is on, it blocks all other cellular service signals. The last time we were in Key West, our phones switched from AT&T to Cellular at Sea the minute we dropped lines and started to pull away from the dock at Mallory Square. In PC, we got AT&T service until we cleared the outer marker buoy, and then it switched. It all depends on when the engineer flips the switch.

Not true. The ships have a tower that serves more or less as a relay of cellular service (for a cost, of course).

(Edited: Oops just noticed this was already addressed!)

Edited by time4u2go

Not true. The ships have a tower that serves more or less as a relay of cellular service (for a cost, of course).

(Edited: Oops just noticed this was already addressed!)

Not true, it uses satellite to connect you (which is why it cost so much).

I believe they shut off (or significantly reduce signal) of "cellular at sea" cell signal when they are close to port. This is because the signals can 'interfere' with carriers on land and probably violates FCC regulations if someone on shore picks up Cellular at Sea signal. Also cruise ship probably dont pay for their spectrum, thus probably arent allowed to be broadcasting it while on waters that are governed by wireless regulators.Its possible they have some license to use that equipment but.. my guess is that the law requires them to shut it down when they're near port

I believe they shut off (or significantly reduce signal) of "cellular at sea" cell signal when they are close to port. This is because the signals can 'interfere' with carriers on land and probably violates FCC regulations if someone on shore picks up Cellular at Sea signal. Also cruise ship probably dont pay for their spectrum, thus probably arent allowed to be broadcasting it while on waters that are governed by wireless regulators.Its possible they have some license to use that equipment but.. my guess is that the law requires them to shut it down when they're near port

The cell signal portion of the system on cruise ships is inwardly focused - more narrowcasting than broadcasting - and not every area onboard even gets a decent signal. I doubt a boat travelling next to a cruise ship could see, much less piggyback on the ships system. BTW, the same is true of most land-based cell towers - they are focused on a specific target area - and you can be literally next to a tower (but on the wrong side) and not get a signal. In order for a cell tower to cover any range or do a full 360 degree coverage, there have to be multiple antennas pointed in each direction.

In addition to WiFi, Royal's ships provides a cellular service called Cellular at Sea. Phones connect to a cell tower on the ship that communicates via satellite with phone company. This service is available while the ship is at sea.

Did not know that, thanks. :)

Thanks. I thought I read that it's off when you are in port, and that they usually turn it off when it's too close to shore, as land-based phones can sometimes accidentally get switched over. I will make sure we only turn on when we are in port.

I noticed on my liberty cruise it seemed to auto shut-off as I was receiving shore side cell signal while we were sailing. For example I received it as we past through the Bonofacio Straights on our day at sea

Just to clarify, if you use Cellular at Sea you are billed by your cell phone carrier. RCI does not bill you for cell phone service, only WiFi.

Thanks. Now that you mentioned this, I think I remember reading that.

And when it is on, it blocks all other cellular service signals. The last time we were in Key West, our phones switched from AT&T to Cellular at Sea the minute we dropped lines and started to pull away from the dock at Mallory Square. In PC, we got AT&T service until we cleared the outer marker buoy, and then it switched. It all depends on when the engineer flips the switch.

That I did not know. Very useful information! I am pretty sure we are just going to turn on, make sure there are no emergencies with family, maybe check email, and then turn it back off again.

That I did not know. Very useful information! I am pretty sure we are just going to turn on, make sure there are no emergencies with family, maybe check email, and then turn it back off again.

For the email part you might be safer getting the lowest amount of wifi, at least that way you'll know how much it will cost you as your phone will download all emails which will eat the expensive data rate while at sea

Right. I am pretty sure you just need to put phone in airplane mode to avoid connecting.

Roaming and airplane mode are two different things. You can turn off roaming without turning off your home network cell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roaming and airplane mode are two different things. You can turn off roaming without turning off your home network cell.

This is true, but I thought when you turn off roaming, your phone continues to try to find a signal, which can drain the battery really quickly - or am I thinking of something else?

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

This is true, but I thought when you turn off roaming, your phone continues to try to find a signal, which can drain the battery really quickly - or am I thinking of something else?

The phone will always get a signal from the ship, so it won't be draining the battery.

It will continue to try to find a signal. However, if you want to pick up the land signal for as long as you can, you leave roaming off to pick up the non cellular at sea signal. Then you turn the phone off /airplane mode on when the signal drops to no service (where the cellular at sea would pop on if you had roaming turned on). If you wanted to use the phone after the land based signal is gone vs turning it off, tuning airplane mode on will conserve battery. You can turn wifi on and hit the ship's Internet (depending on ship).

We usually turn it on pulling into port - get things at home checked and dealt with during slow time.

Edited by MonDreamr1

Thanks! I may try roaming off as we sail down Chesapeake just to see how long I get a signal. For the most part, I like to drop off grid the minute I step on board - but have elderly in-laws, and my wife worries about them. So this is more for her piece of mind.