Buffet on Formal Nights

CTLeeA

hi--we're thinking of scraping the whole formal night thing to eliminate hassles with extra luggage...what's important to my wife is that the Equinox offers lobster during formal night in buffet...Can someone with confirm or deny if the munu's in both venues are similar during formal nights?

hi--we're thinking of scraping the whole formal night thing to eliminate hassles with extra luggage...what's important to my wife is that the Equinox offers lobster during formal night in buffet...Can someone with confirm or deny if the munu's in both venues are similar during formal nights?

There is no full buffet for dinner on Celebrity. I would imagine room service would be your only way to get lobster on formal night without visiting the MDR.

You can actually order the lobster to your room on formal nights?? Wow, I didn't know that. That will help solve my dilemma as well!! Can you do this on all other nights too? I will be on the Millennium. Do they have daily menus in your cabins then?

Actually, S class offers a full buffet, we skipped formal & opted for the bistro & tuscan grill on formal, but somehow I don't think the buffet would have lobster...sure you could get it for room service on formal though, they say you can order whatever is being served in the MDR.

You can actually order the lobster to your room on formal nights?? Wow, I didn't know that. That will help solve my dilemma as well!! Can you do this on all other nights too? I will be on the Millennium. Do they have daily menus in your cabins then?

You can have your stateroom attendant get you the menus or you can check them out outside the MDR daily. Yes, this can be done every night.

Cruise Kitty--I know the S Class ships have a better variety for dinner in the buffet than the other X ships, but I was under the impression that it's still not as "full" as what people have come to expect from other cruise lines.

I have not heard of Lobster on any of the buffets or Alternative Dining

either.

Specialty Restaurants? YES, Other venues? I don't think it is offered on

them.

Actually, S class offers a full buffet, we skipped formal & opted for the bistro & tuscan grill on formal, but somehow I don't think the buffet would have lobster...sure you could get it for room service on formal though, they say you can order whatever is being served in the MDR.

S class has a more enhanced buffet area than the rest of the fleet but it is not a full buffet as you would get for breakfast or lunch.

To the OP, you may order the MDR menu for room service during regular dining room hours...

I am not 100% sure that lobster would be available via room service. While you can order most items off the main dining room menu from room service (during dinner time) - they sometimes restrict certain items. I thought I recalled lobster being one of those restricted items that room service will do (but again, I am not positive - hopefully someone will know for sure).

As another poster said, Solstice class ships do have a small buffet for dinner (more extensive than M-Class ships), but it is far from a full buffet and it will not have lobster. Muranos does have lobster, but will have same dress code as main dining room. Bistro on 5 is a great alternative to main dining room; it has a casual dress code and $5 cover and serves outstanding crepes as well as panini sandwiches, salads and soup (no lobster though). Unless I am wrong about room service, the main dining room is the only lobster option. That said, the lobster is simply a previously frozen warm water lobster tail; it is nothing like a fresh cold water lobster - so you would not be missing much. I loved the food on my Equinox cruise and I think the lobster tail was the only dish I did not like!

We had dinner served in our friend's suite on all 3 formal nights during a cruise on the Constellation. We chose from the MDR menu and we had the "lobster" dish when it was offered. One thing to remember when ordering any of the MDR items: don't expect them to stay as hot as when they are served in the MDR. I recommend going to one of the "casual" venues on formal nights for a fresher and more enjoyable meal.

That said, the lobster is simply a previously frozen warm water lobster tail; it is nothing like a fresh cold water lobster - so you would not be missing much. I loved the food on my Equinox cruise and I think the lobster tail was the only dish I did not like!

The lobster on Solstice in January was nothing to go out of your way for either. Probably the worst lobster of any cruise we've ever been on.

Just off the Eclipse 14 day Baltic and we opted for the buffet on the second of three formal nights and were very disappointed. Only a few stations were open with about 1/3rd of what is usually offered for lunch. Pasta and sauces and pizza (just like at lunch) with a few other offerings. We should not have worried because on the third formal night, there were people that were not dressed up in the MDR and even a couple of men in our section with blue jeans and one with a golf shirt and sport coat. Some of the women were casually dressed, too, at least in our area. I did not see any staff policing what people wore and I should have never worried about it. On the formal nights on RCCL, the buffet was much more extensive.

Re:There is no full buffet for dinner on Celebrity. I would imagine room service would be your only way to get lobster on formal night without visiting the MDR.

This is our first time on Ininity, so does that mean that there is not a full buffet when you don't want to go to the MDR? Thanks!

Re:There is no full buffet for dinner on Celebrity. I would imagine room service would be your only way to get lobster on formal night without visiting the MDR.

This is our first time on Ininity, so does that mean that there is not a full buffet when you don't want to go to the MDR? Thanks!

Hi:) they offer other venues but not a "full buffet" as you would

have for breakfast and lunch.

They have pizza/pasta and sushi. They also offer what is called

Alternative Dining. It is set up near the buffet area but you are served

on linen, off a menu, by wait staff in training. They ask that you make

a reservation and suggest a 2.00 per person gratuity. It is a more

casual atmosphere and a nice alternative to the main dining room.

Oh, they usually have a stir fry area along with the pizza/pasta/sushi.

Lois is correct, on the M class it's a very small sushi station & pizza type foods, also an area with a menu (can't recall what's on it) When we were on the Solstice TA in Dec, the buffet seemed really big to me, but I haven't seen buffets on other ships so I can't compare, the first half of the cruise was very port intensive, ship didn't leave till after 7 or later most days, wonder if they ramp up the buffet on late port days?

Thanks Lois! This is our first time on Celebrity and we have been on R/C where they had the Windjammer (buffet style) resturant. We enjoyed that when we did not feel like eating in the MD.

So is this only on Formal nights or is it all of the time? Thanks!

Hi:) they offer other venues but not a "full buffet" as you would

have for breakfast and lunch.

They have pizza/pasta and sushi. They also offer what is called

Alternative Dining. It is set up near the buffet area but you are served

on linen, off a menu, by wait staff in training. They ask that you make

a reservation and suggest a 2.00 per person gratuity. It is a more

casual atmosphere and a nice alternative to the main dining room.

Oh, they usually have a stir fry area along with the pizza/pasta/sushi.

We enjoy dining in the "Alternative Dining", also sometimes called the "Casual Dining Boulevard" that is set up every evening on the aft port side of the buffet seating area.

The menu is somewhat limited, but the food has always been great, and the waiters-in-training try very hard to give you the best service possible. One of the great things about the "Casual Dining Boulevard" is that the kitchen is across the aisle from the dining area, so your food arrives piping hot. As my personal favourites are the Divers Scallops appetizer and the Sea Bass entree, it is especially great that my food arrives piping hot.

My husband loves it because he can dress casually. He used to love wearing his tux and getting all spiffed up for each other, but the busier he is with his business, the more he wants to dress casually on holidays, so sometimes I let him bail on formal nights :).

We enjoyed the alternative dining on Infinity set up in the buffet area each evening. You do need to call guest services sometimes during the day for reservations. We've done that on our last 2 cruises on one of the formal nights. Actually we enjoy it as a change from the MDR. They have their own menu and kitchen. Dress there is always smart casual. It's totally worth the required $2. tip.

hi--we're thinking of scraping the whole formal night thing to eliminate hassles with extra luggage...what's important to my wife is that the Equinox offers lobster during formal night in buffet...Can someone with confirm or deny if the menu's in both venues are similar during formal nights?

Formal Night is Formal Night all over the ship and no matter where you eat except in your room. If you eat in the buffet area you are still expected to dress "formal". You can usually meet with the maitre'd and arrange to have the same dinner served to you in your room if you do not want to dress for dinner. The food will be the same, but IMHO you really miss a lot of the fun.

Formal Night is Formal Night all over the ship and no matter where you eat except in your room. If you eat in the buffet area you are still expected to dress "formal". You can usually meet with the maitre'd and arrange to have the same dinner served to you in your room if you do not want to dress for dinner. The food will be the same, but IMHO you really miss a lot of the fun.

You are completely utterly and totally WRONG - Please stop posting information you know nothing about. Celebrity has changed it's dress code on formal night, they ask that you dress Smart Casual and above. Formal night pertains to the Main Dining Room and required alternative restaurants only.

From Celebrity's website:

Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Formal Night is Formal Night all over the ship and no matter where you eat except in your room. If you eat in the buffet area you are still expected to dress "formal".

That is not true in the least.

Have you ever cruised Celebrity before? You are so wrong.

Formal Night is Formal Night all over the ship and no matter where you eat except in your room. If you eat in the buffet area you are still expected to dress "formal".

We returned from 14 nights on Equinox three weeks ago, and formal wear is not a required dress code for dinner in the casual Oceanview Cafe.

Not only is it not true now, but never has been. The buffet area and pool decks have always been casual at all times. It's a nice option for when we don't care to dress up.

Going to the dining room on formal night dressed casually is not appropriate whether you see someone get by with it or not. As my mother used to say, "if you see a goat jump off a cliff does that mean you should follow him".;)

SeaBlu:

PLEASE stop already. Just stop. Please Stop!

You have caused enough misinformation for sooo many new cruisers that it's just sad. Go on YOUR CRUISE and do WHATEVER YOU WANT and stop pretending that you are the end-all-be-all of cruise line attire.:(:(

Archived