Taking alcohol aboard?

casbar3

Am I right in thinking you can take your own alcohol on board Aurora?

I'm sure I've read this somewhere but cannot remember where.

We are not big drinkers but do like the odd tipple everynow and again.:)

P & O allow you to take a "Reasonable" amount of Alcohol on board, i think if you tried to take a crate of beer on board they might say no - but your bottle of Gin, wine etc will be fine

I took 18 cans of lager in plastic carrier bags onboard Aurora at Alicante. Went through security and they just handed them back to me, no problem.

We fly in to Barbados - is there anywhere at the airport or near to that we can buy alcohol and soft drinks to take on board obviously not a crate just a couple of bottles and some cola & lemonade??

I came back from Barbados aboard Ventura couple weeks ago. I brought a litre bottle of bacardi and gin at Gatwick took on board no problem at all.

If you are able to go into the shops at cruise terminal at Barbados you can get stuff in their cheaply. I got another litre bottle of bacardi :eek: (not a big drinker obviously!!:D) plus they had 6 packs of mixers to buy, you could just buy them singly if you wanted. Got bottle of rum to take home and no problems at all with any of it.

Our room steward left us a bucket of ice daily and we got lemon from tea station every day, so all very civilised.:D fab!!

Thanks scareyness, so there are shops at the cuise terminal in Barbados then, are they easily accessable? and am I likely to have time to go to them before boarding?

Hiya, We are suppose to arrive in Barbados at 3pm from Manchester so i hope we have time to go to the shops on the port. we don t sail 9pm i believe.

We fly in to Barbados - is there anywhere at the airport or near to that we can buy alcohol and soft drinks to take on board obviously not a crate just a couple of bottles and some cola & lemonade??

As I'll be back before you go Susan, I'll let you know. We're going to pick some alcohol up at Gatwick but will need mixers so I'll keep you posted on timings and prices.

Ellen

Hiya, We are suppose to arrive in Barbados at 3pm from Manchester so i hope we have time to go to the shops on the port. we don t sail 9pm i believe.

Because you don't go through customs/immigration at the airport, your bus is obliged take you direct to the ship, no stops. Forget your luggage, it will follow & appear at your cabin door a few hours later. You'll probably arrive at the ship about 4.30 to 5pm, where you register & get your boarding pass etc.

Lifeboat drill before sailing will cut into your time, but you're on an early flight arrival so you should be OK to visit the D/F shops in the cruise terminal.

Those on much later aircraft might not have the time, & may care to place their orders with Landlady23 :D

JB :)

bearded gent - Hi - no we fly land and sail same day so looking like we will have to stock up at Manchester

freckles2 - hello fellow Meeru lover I am leaving it with you to pick up on any tips, likes and things to avoid tips for us and any cost saving tips cannot wait for you to go and get back because you can compare as best you can with different types of holiday - but I will understand as a fellow Meeru lover.

Have a fantastic time

Of course, if you fly out on Friday you will be able to visit the cruise terminal on the Saturday morning, or if going on a trip, when you get return.

Hi Derek

Keith and I will check out the prices for alcohol in the terminal but purely for research purposes:D. Hope you and Lynne are well.

Susan

I'll update you on my return.

Ellen

gosh we sound like a load of boozers!!!!

Nothing wrong with getting your priorities right! lol :D

I actually went into the terminal shops when we returned to Barbados after 1st week.

We arrived at the ship around 5pm (ish), we went to our cabin and faffed about waiting for luggage ect, before muster drill. But I would suggest if yoiu are desperate :eek: drop your bits to cabin and nip to shop, I would think you could easily get off ship and go to shop and back in 15-20 mins. That is what I would do another time.

I got 1 litre gin and 1 litre bacardi at Gatwick for £20. (always the cheapest place for us). I think I am right in saying that 1 litrs of bacardi at cruise terminal was about $16.

I think the duty free price of the drinks on ship were fairly reasonable too.

Am I right in thinking that P & O are not so strict on bringing alcohol aboard anymore? On our previous two caribbean cruises we too bought alcohol in the cruise terminal and took it onboard as this was the only place that the port scanned your hand luggage rather than P & O so you could take it on board sneakily. I understood that on other islands if you tried to bring alcohol back on board they took it off you. Is that still so? Only reason I ask is that I have read on the forums that there is a rather cheap duty free shop in Tortola which sells some Waitrose stuff and that i'd like to try and bring a wine box aboard rather than having to take up valuable weight in my suitcase and bringing from home. Don't want to buy one at Gatwick as they are circa £22 whereas one in Sainsburys is around £10!

Thanks!

Am I right in thinking that P & O are not so strict on bringing alcohol aboard anymore? On our previous two caribbean cruises we too bought alcohol in the cruise terminal and took it onboard as this was the only place that the port scanned your hand luggage rather than P & O so you could take it on board sneakily. I understood that on other islands if you tried to bring alcohol back on board they took it off you. Is that still so? Only reason I ask is that I have read on the forums that there is a rather cheap duty free shop in Tortola which sells some Waitrose stuff and that i'd like to try and bring a wine box aboard rather than having to take up valuable weight in my suitcase and bringing from home. Don't want to buy one at Gatwick as they are circa £22 whereas one in Sainsburys is around £10!

Thanks!

I was told you could take 'reasonable' amounts onboard, whatever that means:D

As I have said 2 2 litres when boarding ship that were scanned and no problem. Also took a few bottles of various stuff when in different ports and they were also scanned but not a problem.

We have been on cruises before (not P&O) and if you take alcohol onboard they 'keep it safe for you' until end of cruise:(. This was one of the few things that we really liked on P&O ships as we do like to please ourselves regarding when and where we have a drink.

I find the duty free at Gatwick to be very good, as was Barbados, also heard St Lucia was ok too.

Thank you for this.

I thought this might be the case now, but i thought best to ask! We arrive into Barbados on the earlier BA flight so have a bit of time to dive off the ship (not literally) and buy some goodies. Quite like the idea of buying at Gatwick but don't really want to have to carry it around with me!

People reading this post must think we're all alcoholics! Oh well, it'd be rude not to on a Caribbean cruise! 3 weeks today and counting! :p

Archived