Is Jerusalem worth it?

juanarcin

We are a group of three people 26, 28, and 31 years old. We arent very religious, so the stop at Ashdod isnt as meaningful as it would be for someone who has a strong spiritual connection to Jerusalem. I may be wrong about this since I know very little about it, but without that connection, is there much to do there for a group like us who are more into nightlife? Bars, clubs, dinners, etc. Our trip makes an overnight in Alexandria and Ashdod, also starts out in rome. So we are booking a few nights in rome prior to the trip, a night in Cairo to see the pyramids and Egyptian Museum, but when it comes to Jerusalem we are unsure whether it would be worth the money to add another hotel. Would we enjoy it? is there any other nearby city that might benefit us more to visit? Or am I completely wrong about Jerusalem? We love sightseeing and seeing new stuff, but couldnt we do the same in a nearer town/city where we could return to the ship that same night? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I don't want to try to talk you into visiting Jerusalem, but you clearly have a number of misconceptions.

Most importantly, there is absolutely no reason to spend the night in Jerusalem if your ship stays overnight in Ashdod. You can easily tour the city on a day visit from Ashdod.

Second, there's much to see in Jerusalem for people who have little interest in religion. If you're interested in history, the archeology is fascinating. For example, check out the City of David with Hezekiah's tunnel, the Cardo, or the Burnt House. Then you have some really fascinating (nonreligious) museums, such as the Israel Museum and the Rockefeller Museum. Stroll through the shuk. You might also consider a tour of the Knesset and/or Supreme Court.

Last, there's lots of really interesting places in the area to visit if you really don't have any interest in Jerusalem. How about going to the caves of Beit Guvrin and participating in an archeological "Dig for a Day"? Many people who arrive in Ashdod take a tour to Masada, Ein Gedi, and the Dead Sea. Masada is a fascinating historical site. You can stop for a float in the Dead Sea, the lowest place on earth. Ein Gedi is an oasis with beautiful hikes and waterfalls. If you like cities, consider spending the day in Tel Aviv as a port visit from Ashdod. Tel Aviv has magnificent beaches and wonderful museums and is easy to reach via public transportation from Ashdod. The old city of Jaffa has narrow alleyways that are really interesting. Not too far from Tel Aviv is the Ayalon Institute, which housed a secret bullet factory below a laundromat.

The point is that you don't need to spend the night on land to visit any of these fascinating places. You don't need to visit Jerusalem, but you'll really be missing out if you don't visit Israel. Have a wonderful cruise.

I don't want to try to talk you into visiting Jerusalem, but you clearly have a number of misconceptions.

Most importantly, there is absolutely no reason to spend the night in Jerusalem if your ship stays overnight in Ashdod. You can easily tour the city on a day visit from Ashdod.

Second, there's much to see in Jerusalem for people who have little interest in religion. If you're interested in history, the archeology is fascinating. For example, check out the City of David with Hezekiah's tunnel, the Cardo, or the Burnt House. Then you have some really fascinating (nonreligious) museums, such as the Israel Museum and the Rockefeller Museum. Stroll through the shuk. You might also consider a tour of the Knesset and/or Supreme Court.

Last, there's lots of really interesting places in the area to visit if you really don't have any interest in Jerusalem. How about going to the caves of Beit Guvrin and participating in an archeological "Dig for a Day"? Many people who arrive in Ashdod take a tour to Masada, Ein Gedi, and the Dead Sea. Masada is a fascinating historical site. You can stop for a float in the Dead Sea, the lowest place on earth. Ein Gedi is an oasis with beautiful hikes and waterfalls. If you like cities, consider spending the day in Tel Aviv as a port visit from Ashdod. Tel Aviv has magnificent beaches and wonderful museums and is easy to reach via public transportation from Ashdod. The old city of Jaffa has narrow alleyways that are really interesting. Not too far from Tel Aviv is the Ayalon Institute, which housed a secret bullet factory below a laundromat.

The point is that you don't need to spend the night on land to visit any of these fascinating places. You don't need to visit Jerusalem, but you'll really be missing out if you don't visit Israel. Have a wonderful cruise.

Thank you so much! this is exactly the type of info I was looking for! As I mentioned, Its not that I didnt want to visit Jerusalem, its just that I didnt know if there was anything to do there besides the obvious visit for religious reasons. I am all for seeing new things and you listed more than enough to make me want to go. Also I had no idea that you could travel there and back on the same day, this is probably what we will end up doing. thank you!

I'm amazed you're not keen to see it, J.

If only to see what all the fuss is about.

Seeing Jerusalem has nothing to do with your beliefs - anyway it'd be difficult to believe in all three religions ;)

You're gee'd up about Rome & Cairo. They're all about religions. Most of history is about religions.

Yes, there's more to them than that. But likewise Jerusalem - lots of other sights, lots of other interests. And the average age in Isael is way lower than the West, so there's plenty of clubs in the modern part of the city centre. Get to meet the locals of your age & outlook.

Then there's the on-going conflict between Jew & Arab centred on Jerusalem.

Sadly, the conflict is likely be in the news for decades to come, and when it features in a news report you'll know the place.

Or mebbe you won't :rolleyes:

Here's what we did.

Hired a car from Ashdod, & drove through the Megev Desert to Massada, King Herod's fortress overlooking the Dead Sea. Reached by cablecar. Amazing place, amazing history, amazing views across the Dead Sea to Jordan. A swim in the Dead Sea, wierd experience, I guess you know about floating in the Dead Sea & reading a newspaper.

Late afternoon drive along the Dead Sea coast and to hotel in Jerusalem. Dinner in a little place in the walled city. Guess you'd hit the nightspots in the west end of the city centre.

Next morning a free guided walking tour, head back to Ashdod mid-afternoon.

Your vacation, your choice.

Try not to regret it later in life

JB :)

I'm amazed you're not keen to see it, J.

If only to see what all the fuss is about.

Seeing Jerusalem has nothing to do with your beliefs - anyway it'd be difficult to believe in all three religions ;)

You're gee'd up about Rome & Cairo. They're all about religions. Most of history is about religions.

Yes, there's more to them than that. But likewise Jerusalem - lots of other sights, lots of other interests. And the average age in Isael is way lower than the West, so there's plenty of clubs in the modern part of the city centre. Get to meet the locals of your age & outlook.

Then there's the on-going conflict between Jew & Arab centred on Jerusalem.

Sadly, the conflict is likely be in the news for decades to come, and when it features in a news report you'll know the place.

Or mebbe you won't :rolleyes:

Here's what we did.

Hired a car from Ashdod, & drove through the Megev Desert to Massada, King Herod's fortress overlooking the Dead Sea. Reached by cablecar. Amazing place, amazing history, amazing views across the Dead Sea to Jordan. A swim in the Dead Sea, wierd experience, I guess you know about floating in the Dead Sea & reading a newspaper.

Late afternoon drive along the Dead Sea coast and to hotel in Jerusalem. Dinner in a little place in the walled city. Guess you'd hit the nightspots in the west end of the city centre.

Next morning a free guided walking tour, head back to Ashdod mid-afternoon.

Your vacation, your choice.

Try not to regret it later in life

Thanks for the advice, Yes I decided I will definitely go. One of the reasons that rome and egypt attract me is more about world monuments. the Colisseum, the Pyramids etc. I know that religion plays a part in all of these and many of the eastern Mediterranean ports, my concern was more towards will I have anything to see or do that wasnt religion based. When I hear Jerusalem I picture Churches, museums revolving around churches, and lines to visit even more churches haha. A bit ignorant on my part i admit, but we only learn by asking which is why I asked here. Based on the suggestions Ive heard and your recap on the days you spent there, I am convinced that me and my group will have an amazing time! thanks for your help!

Jerusalem is not to be missed - if you have never been there before. There are plenty to do that does not revolve around religion.

That said, I would not recommend the night life in Jerusalem. In your age group, you'll find Tel-Aviv night life much more interesting. Considering that Jerusalem to Tel-Aviv is only 45 minute drive, you can combine the two easily. Visit in the day in Jerusalem and head to Tel-Aviv for the night life.

As mentioned no need to stay overnight but Jerusalem is a city to enjoy.

If you are not into the religious sites there is still other things to see and even nice restaurants to visit to taste foods that are part of the culture.

If I gave you one piece of advice it is to keep a very open mind.

We have learned from our travels that it is often those places that you are not so sure whether or not you will enjoy that we enjoy the most.

Keith

That said, I would not recommend the night life in Jerusalem. In your age group, you'll find Tel-Aviv night life much more interesting. Considering that Jerusalem to Tel-Aviv is only 45 minute drive, you can combine the two easily. Visit in the day in Jerusalem and head to Tel-Aviv for the night life.

That is becoming, more and more, an outdated attitude.

While there's no doubt that Jerusalem's night life doesn't compare to Tel Aviv's, there are plenty of clubs and bars in Jerusalem, with one of the liveliest scenes close to the heart of the main tourist area in the center of the city. Much more than enough to keep an overnight visitor very happy- and interested ;)

That is becoming, more and more, an outdated attitude.

While there's no doubt that Jerusalem's night life doesn't compare to Tel Aviv's, there are plenty of clubs and bars in Jerusalem, with one of the liveliest scenes close to the heart of the main tourist area in the center of the city. Much more than enough to keep an overnight visitor very happy- and interested ;)

Having lived in Jerusalem for many good years - there is nothing in Jerusalem night life that would compare with Tel-Aviv's, especially for the age range in question.

And while for the first time visitor there are plenty to see and explore, the city itself is a very intolerant place. There are places where one can enjoy oneself for sure - but compare that to Tel-Aviv? No way.

Having lived in Jerusalem for many good years - there is nothing in Jerusalem night life that would compare with Tel-Aviv's, especially for the age range in question.

And while for the first time visitor there are plenty to see and explore, the city itself is a very intolerant place. There are places where one can enjoy oneself for sure - but compare that to Tel-Aviv? No way.

Not going to argue- I can't get enough of Tel Aviv!- but are you currently living in Jerusalem? I'm continuously pleased by how things are changing, especially under Nir Barkat. Still a very long way to go, but definitely way better than even a few years ago.

Our group covered the spectrum of agnostic/ non-practising Protestant and Catholic. We all found Jerusalem absolutely fascinating, as was the rest of the two days in Israel. It is just like nowhere else we've been.

Looking for advice about Jerusalem. We will be berthed in Ashod for two days in early November and tend to be adverse to large cruise line excursions. We certainly want to experience Jerusalem and its historical sites. Can we easily do this on our own (from Ashod) or should we consider hiring a private guide/driver. If so, we welcome recommendations.

Hank

Looking for advice about Jerusalem. We will be berthed in Ashod for two days in early November and tend to be adverse to large cruise line excursions. We certainly want to experience Jerusalem and its historical sites. Can we easily do this on our own (from Ashod) or should we consider hiring a private guide/driver. If so, we welcome recommendations.

Hank

Hank I know from reading many of your posts you like doing touring on your own rather than in organized tours. If anyone could do this without any official tour you probably could with good planning but I would still go with some type of tour or consider staying downtown at a hotel which might help minimize needing a full blown tour.

The Port is about a 1 hour or slightly more drive from Ashdod which is why I always mention for an overnight for people to consider staying downtown so you don't waste the time of going back and forth and to maximize your time in the city.

I would definitely spend a few hours in old town Jerusalem. I would of course visit the Western Wall. I would also recommend spending a few hours one one of the days in Bethlehem. On the way to the city there is the Holocaust Museum which is something to consider. A jewish guide cannot enter Bethlehem but they can make arrangements with someone else to tour you around.

If you want to maximize your visit because like most large cities you can't possibly see everything I would look into a private guide at least for a portion of the trip.

Hopefully some on this board can recommend one for you.

We did do the full day ship tours on two different cruises but didn't have the luxury of an overnight. If we had the overnight we would have stayed downtown and done a portion on a private tour.

Keith

Hank

Hi Hank,

A simple transfer from Ashdod to Jerusalem by taxi hired at the port will cost the equiv. of around 100 euros one-way and takes about 70 - 90 mins.

Little chance of negotiating that fare - a free port shuttle drops you at the port entrance, far fom facilities, & all taxis quote the same rate.

Pre-booked transfer may be a better bet.

Worth considering a Jerusalem hotel.

And/or consider renting a self-drive car for the drive, though you'll have little use for it in Jerusalem.

I know you like doing your own thing, but in the walled city you will need a guided tour - it is a maze of alleyways & you will get lost very quickly. We did a free walking tour (just tip the guide) which covered its main sights pretty well in about 2.5 hrs, though our group was mebbe about 40.

http://www.newjerusalemtours.com/daily-tours/new-jerusalem-free-tour.html

Our last stop was at the Church of the Holy Sepulchure, the tour didn't go inside though the place is well worth 30 minutes plus. From there we were taken back to the start point at Jaffa Gate. We managed to find our way back to Holy Sepulchure, but it would've been easier to tip the guide & leave the tour at that point.

Having seen all the must-sees, we were then happy to wander & get lost in that maze.

Bethlehem & Jericho are a complication, since they are Palestinian-controlled enclaves. We considered neither to be worth the effort, & I'm pretty certain you'll not be permitted to drive a rented car into either.

Through the CC RollCall, we hooked-up with an American couple who'd arranged to rent a car. Taxi from port to rental agency, then we drove south to near Gaza, then across the Megev desert, to approach the Dead Sea & Herod's hilltop fortress of Masada from the south. Amazing place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masada

Followed by a dip in the Dead Sea. Floating is easy, but it's a struggle to get your feet back down to the seabed to stand up again :D

Then on to Jerusalem late afternoon, hotel about 15 min walk from the wallled city. Evening & most of the next day in Jerusalem.

There's more than enough in Jerusalem to fill your time if you don't fancy Bethlehem or Masada.

Ashdod can get cancelled last-minute if a few missiles get lobbed onto it from Gaza.

That happened to several cruise ships last year*

So be wary of front-money / cancellation terms

Super place to visit

* cancellations, not missiles lobbed onto the ships :rolleyes::D

Hank

Hank: As an inveterate DIY, you can easily DIY here! However, you definitely need to take a look at what days your ship is scheduled to dock. Will you be in Ashdod either Friday or Saturday? If so, then DIY is possible but more difficult due to the lack of public transportation.

For DIY, an excellent option is the bus from Ashdod to Jerusalem (18 shekels). The number 448 is an express and takes about 1.5 hr, and the number 438 makes more stops but runs more frequently (http://www.egged.co.il/eng/). Ashdod, like Livorno, is a closed port and does not allow passengers on foot. Cruise ships offer shuttles from dock to port entrance, and some ships provide shuttles to central Ashdod, where the bus terminal is located. Otherwise you can take a taxi from port gate to bus terminal. In the past, certain taxis have been allowed into the port and right up to the dock, but I don't know whether this is still the case.

I doubt that you will get lost in the Old City. I know you're very adept at reading a map, and that's really all that most people need. We went on our own with a good map and never got lost.

For a 2 day port stop in Ashdod, most people would tour Jerusalem one day and Masada/Dead Sea/Ein Gedi on the other day. As noted above, the trip to Bethlehem is very time consuming, and I therefore do not recommend it on a port stop (I have been there on a land trip).

Public transportation/DIY to Masada/Dead Sea/Ein Gedi would be extremely difficult on a port day. Most people either take a ship's tour, hire a private guide, or join a small shared tour. A tour with a private guide for a day will run somewhere in the range of $650/van.

We were on one of the ships last summer that was scheduled to dock in Ashdod but ended up in Haifa. You can still DIY from Haifa to Jerusalem, but the trip will take at least 2.5 hours.

I strongly suggest that if you plan to DIY, post your questions on Tripadvisor. A number of the Destination Experts are private guides and will give you accurate information on how to proceed.

// ....... I doubt that you will get lost in the Old City. I know you're very adept at reading a map, and that's really all that most people need. We went on our own with a good map and never got lost......//

Hi Epixx,

Are we talking about the same part of Jerusalem?

The pedestrian alleyways inside the city walls.

Just a few feet wide, sometimes at different levels, losing sight of the sky, never a view of landmarks unless you take to a roof walkway, & without a hope of going more than a few hundred yards without losing the points of the compass.

Please say you're talking about the city outside the walls.

Cos if you're not, I'm going ga-ga more quickly than I'd thought :eek::D

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Jaffa+Gate,+Jerusalem,+Israel&hl=en&ll=31.776672,35.229295&spn=0.000005,0.002465&sll=31.768447,35.213081&sspn=0.007188,0.00986&hq=Jaffa+Gate,+Jerusalem,+Israel&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=31.776673,35.22918&panoid=HofHuwQcwfKKS6UPxmQiwA&cbp=12,110.09,,0,18.14

Hank

Hank, if you have in mind to mainly focus on Jerusalem, you should be able to do this on your own. The Old City is very compact and easy to get around. (JB: I did not find it too confusing, once I got my bearings.) It's certainly worth spending two days there. Walking the walls is a wonderful pastime if the weather is good and you've got the time.

On the other hand, if you want to see more than Jerusalem, this is probably a good place to consider a private guide. You know I don't use them too often, but I really felt having one was invaluable here -- for me, because I wanted to see a number of important historical sites in addition to Jerusalem. If you decide to go that route, I could recommend.

I enjoyed Bethlehem, but wouldn't put it high on my list if you only have two days (unless it is important to you from a religious standpoint); it does take a half-day between the transfers & all.

On the other hand, I really enjoyed Masada.

As to the hotel question; it's personal preference. The hour drive back and forth to Ashdod isn't too offputting, especially if you can plan to get back late on the first evening and if you don't mind getting an early start.

We really appreciate all the valuable advice and especially love seeing the help from many board regulars who take lots of time trying to help any and all :) Our ship will overnight in Ashod (Thursday and Friday) so are not too concerned about Sabbath related issues other then having to consider getting back to the ship before sundown on Friday (we do not leave until around 10pm). After reading the comments we are leaning towards a private tour (trying to join one via our Roll Call) for both days. I also find the suggestions to stay in a Jerusalem hotel overnight to be an interesting idea. If the private tour idea does not work we might consider getting a rental car (sounds like a good idea if we wanted to DIY and visit Masada). Besides the 2 days docked in Ashdod our ship also spends a long port day in Haifa. The Haifa visit happens to be on a Saturday which does cause me some concern (is everything closed on the Sabbath?).

Hank

• 1 month later...
We really appreciate all the valuable advice and especially love seeing the help from many board regulars who take lots of time trying to help any and all :) Our ship will overnight in Ashod (Thursday and Friday) so are not too concerned about Sabbath related issues other then having to consider getting back to the ship before sundown on Friday (we do not leave until around 10pm). After reading the comments we are leaning towards a private tour (trying to join one via our Roll Call) for both days. I also find the suggestions to stay in a Jerusalem hotel overnight to be an interesting idea. If the private tour idea does not work we might consider getting a rental car (sounds like a good idea if we wanted to DIY and visit Masada). Besides the 2 days docked in Ashdod our ship also spends a long port day in Haifa. The Haifa visit happens to be on a Saturday which does cause me some concern (is everything closed on the Sabbath?).

Hank

Last Oct we were on RCCL's Holy Land cruise. We docked 2 days in Haifa and 2 days in Ashdod. We did a private tour with other cc members using Guided Tours Israel. We were very happy with them. We certainly covered a lot of territory. In Haifa I would recommend either going to Ceasarea (sp?) or Akko. Or you can do an all day to Nazareth and the Sea of Gallilea. I think you'll find there are plenty of sites open on the Sabbath. Guided Tours Israel does either Christian or Jewish tours. So you get the slant on it that you want.

Just from your posts on the Italy board, I'm sure that you would have no problem going it alone in Jerusalem. My now-ex and I did it several times. It isn't that difficult to navigate. If you do a rental car, there is a large parking lot outside the Damascus gate - plenty of signs to direct you to it. Walking through the Old Town was fun. Easy to find all that we wanted to see. Both times we were there on a Friday (ex was there on business, we arrived Thu for and had Fri-Sat as our "weekend") and we had no issues with the Sabbath. We always made sure that we stayed clear of the pathways to the Mosque on Friday afternoon and were in our car and leaving town by sunset.

Appreciate the helpful suggestions from several posters. After considering the options we have decided to take advantage of the labors of a fellow cruiser and go on several small private tours in both Israeli ports. As much as we love to avoid excursions, the small size (about 8 of us) and the relatively low cost won out the day. Of course we could always change our mind and the idea of simply getting a rental car is very attractive. In fact we have debated renting a car for the 2 days we are in Ashdod and spending the night in Jerusalem..but for now the small group tour seems like a better idea.

Hank

Juanarcin, you did not say if your visit coincides with the sabbath. Tel Aviv is definitely the better place to go for nightlife (really nice along the waterfront too) but more stuff was closed than I would have imagined for sabbath so check before you go. There is plenty to see in Jerusalem that is not especially religious (I loved the old city despite the crowds) as said above but the Masada/Dead Sea/ Ein Gedi trip and then Tel Aviv also captures the spirit of Israel both religious and non religious without having to weave through crowds of passionate pilgrims from many parts of the world.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not really relegious, but I found it worth while and good to see, I would go back, well I loved the whole country, just far better than we expected, we found agood guide too, who charged us $500 perday for all six of us, he took us all around Jerusalem one day them showed us Acre, Rosh-hanikra, Keshet Cave Nature reserve etc on a second day

http://www.rosh-hanikra.com/sitepage.asp?p=2&lan=eng

He really made the holiday special

Contact detailshere

mordi zissman [morzissman@yahoo.com]

The cruise ships use him too, but through them its well over $2000

Archived