Azamara Journey’s propeller damaged in Japan

AzamaraJoel

Good morning everyone,

We wanted to let you know about an incident affecting the Azamara Journey that will require the current voyage to end early.

As the Azamara Journey approached Tokyo, we noticed an unusual vibration. Further inspection revealed damage to the propeller. We are now traveling at a reduced speed to Kyoto (Osaka), and will arrive on Friday. Due to the required repairs, we regrettably must end the voyage in Kyoto (Osaka).

Our President and CEO, Larry Pimentel, and Bert Van Middendorp, VP of Operations, are both flying to Kyoto (Osaka) tonight to meet with the ship and the guests.

The Azamara Journey will remain in Kyoto (Osaka) on February 28 and March 1, and will have debarkation for guests on March 2. We will then provide guests with air to Shanghai where debarkation was originally scheduled on March 3. We will also provide hotel accommodations until they are able to pick up their original schedule, whether that is a stay in Shanghai or a flight home.

Guests are receiving refunds for the days of the voyage they will be missing, as well at 25% off their next Azamara voyage.

It is possible that the upcoming voyage out of Shanghai on March 3 will be affected. As we are currently working on the repair situation, we will provide an update within 48 hours, and all guests - or their travel agents - on those voyages will be contacted directly with more information.

Thank you,

Signe Bjorndal

Director of Global Marketing

Azamara Club Cruises

Hi uktog,

Will the contact information you provided in your reservation remain the same while you are traveling? If not, please let us know how you can be reached. We want to make sure that we are able to contact you with any important updates about the voyage. Thank you.

Hi uktog,

Will the contact information you provided in your reservation remain the same while you are traveling? If not, please let us know how you can be reached. We want to make sure that we are able to contact you with any important updates about the voyage. Thank you.

Thanks I have just had your good uk based people check all that out it was my first thought as well

In the meantime que sera sera

Edited by uktog

Thanks I have just had your good uk based people check all that out it was my first thought as well

In the meantime que sera sera

Glad to hear you've been in touch with our UK office, please let us know if we can be of any other assistance.

Oh dear we leave tomorrow. Please everyone send good healing vibes for Journey

Sorry to hear uktog. Hopefully, your voyage will continue as planned, or with minimal disruption. Please keep us updated, as you may be our best source of information. Safe travels !

Edited by Host Andy

Good morning everyone,

We wanted to let you know about an incident affecting the Azamara Journey that will require the current voyage to end early.

As the Azamara Journey approached Tokyo, we noticed an unusual vibration. Further inspection revealed damage to the propeller. We are now traveling at a reduced speed to Kyoto (Osaka), and will arrive on Friday. Due to the required repairs, we regrettably must end the voyage in Kyoto (Osaka).

Our President and CEO, Larry Pimentel, and Bert Van Middendorp, VP of Operations, are both flying to Kyoto (Osaka) tonight to meet with the ship and the guests.

The Azamara Journey will remain in Kyoto (Osaka) on February 28 and March 1, and will have debarkation for guests on March 2. We will then provide guests with air to Shanghai where debarkation was originally scheduled on March 3. We will also provide hotel accommodations until they are able to pick up their original schedule, whether that is a stay in Shanghai or a flight home.

Guests are receiving refunds for the days of the voyage they will be missing, as well at 25% off their next Azamara voyage.

It is possible that the upcoming voyage out of Shanghai on March 3 will be affected. As we are currently working on the repair situation, we will provide an update within 48 hours, and all guests - or their travel agents - on those voyages will be contacted directly with more information.

Thank you,

Signe Bjorndal

Director of Global Marketing

Azamara Club Cruises

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear of this news, and we hope for speedy repairs. My very best to everyone at Azamara, and to your officers, crew & guests.

Edited by Host Andy

Thank you AzamaraJoel for alerting us to this situation in a timely fashion.

I look forward to more information within 48 hours in case travel plans to join the ship on the 3rd must be changed. I am hoping that by then a decision is made so those of us en route to Shanghai to meet the Journey on the 3rd will have ample time to change travel plans without undue stress.

As you are probably aware many of us are flying half way around the world to be in Shanghai in time to board the ship on the 3rd. The flights and lay overs are taking from 36 to 48 hours in total. Hence, in my opinion, Friday would be the latest time to be informed of embarkation plans wether changed or not.

However this unfolds I am looking forward to our trip to Asia and am sure that we will have a good time no matter what. After all, travel is adventure and the best adventures I have had are those that were not planned.

Thank you AzamaraJoel for alerting us to this situation in a timely fashion.

I look forward to more information within 48 hours in case travel plans to join the ship on the 3rd must be changed. I am hoping that by then a decision is made so those of us en route to Shanghai to meet the Journey on the 3rd will have ample time to change travel plans without undue stress.

As you are probably aware many of us are flying half way around the world to be in Shanghai in time to board the ship on the 3rd. The flights and lay overs are taking from 36 to 48 hours in total. Hence, in my opinion, Friday would be the latest time to be informed of embarkation plans wether changed or not.

However this unfolds I am looking forward to our trip to Asia and am sure that we will have a good time no matter what. After all, travel is adventure and the best adventures I have had are those that were not planned.

Thanks for your post, we're currently working through the details and will have further information as soon as possible.

Our flight leaves at 0840 on 28FEB so we are leaving for the airport at 0545 am. At this point to reschedule flights would be costly plus arranged time off from work etc.

Please keep us informed.

Kathy

Hi Kathy, Thanks for your post. We understand completely, and are working to inform everyone of updates as soon as possible.

Yikes!! We also leave on Friday morning (pickup at 6:45am) for Shanghai and the March 3 departure.

Hi Sandyss,

Wishing you all the best. Hope everything works out as best as possible, for those onboard the current sailing, and those sailing on the following Journey departure.

Let's hope the repairs wont be very time consuming, and Journey will be on her way, as soon as possible !!!

Yikes!! We also leave on Friday morning (pickup at 6:45am) for Shanghai and the March 3 departure.

Hi Sandyss,

Please let us know if you need to update your contact information, or if you have any questions. We will have more information for you as soon as possible.

Hi Everyone,

I received a tweet from Larry Pimentel a few hours ago - mentioning he's en route to Japan. It's very comforting to know that Mr Pimentel and Mr Van Middendorp (Azamara's VP of Operations), immediately sought to travel around the world, to lend assistance. I'd expect nothing less from them, and it's not the first time they've done this, by immediately jumping into action - so big time kudos to them.

I sincerely hope the damage to Journey is minimal, and she resumes her voyages shortly. Thanks to Signe & AzamaraJoel for their updates.

Edited by Host Andy

Oh dear we leave tomorrow. Please everyone send good healing vibes for Journey

I am definitely sending good vibes and wish you well. Several people on our roll call for 17th March are on your cruise while many of us embarking soon in Hong Kong were on the Quest two years ago when there was the engine room fire (we're trying to have a second go at the same itinerary).

Hi Sandyss,

Please let us know if you need to update your contact information, or if you have any questions. We will have more information for you as soon as possible.

Thanks for that information Joel. I did call Azamara and gave the rep all of my contact information. But, since we booked through our TA, she said that our TA will be contacted first, and that we should make sure that our TA has all of our contact information. I just sent an email to my TA with lots of contact info for us - both at home, and in Shanghai.

I'm posting this so that others can do likewise.

Hello All,

We continue to monitor the situation with Azamara Journey off the coast of Japan. Currently we are working hard on a repair plan. Because of the current time difference there is no further update we can provide to the 3rd March voyage. We are scheduled for another update at 1am est / 6am gmt tomorrow morning.

Thank you for your patience and we appreciate the continued support.

Azamara Club Cruises.

Our flight leaves at 0840 on 28FEB so we are leaving for the airport at 0545 am. At this point to reschedule flights would be costly plus arranged time off from work etc.

Please keep us informed.

Kathy

Oh no! :eek: I'm so sorry and I know how much you were looking forward to this cruise.

I have everything crossed for you and all of those booked to sail on this cruise. What an unfortunate thing to happen. I do hope they get the problem resolved in a very timely fashion so none of you miss out on something you've been looking forward to.

Having been on the Quest 2 years ago during the fire, like Vera, and hopefully traveling on march 17 th to try it again , I am certain Azamara will react in the same professional and understanding manor that they did before. Having read many of the horror stories of other cruiseship problems, I realized how lucky we were to be on Azamara. I am sure the crew is performing wonderfully with increased sensitivity and understanding of this unfortunate situation. For those of you aboard the Journey, please know that you are in very good hands. Our best wishes and thoughts are with you and all those on the next itinerary in hoping everything turns out well. Rich