Lock strikes announced in Germany

steamboats

The major union Verdi has announced strikes of the lock staff for Monday and Tuesday (day is depending on the state, staff in Bavaria is called to go on strike on Tuesday).

So locks will be closed during the strikes which will affect all river traffic.

steamboats

The major union Verdi has announced strikes of the lock staff for Monday and Tuesday (day is depending on the state, staff in Bavaria is called to go on strike on Tuesday).

steamboats

Just when I thought that's was safe to go back on the river !!

I m in Viena today on the Budpest to Amsterdam itinerary, with Monday Linz to Passai , Tuesday Regensberg and Wednesday Nuremberg.

Am I likely to get affected ?

Thanks

steamboats

As long as they get it out of theiir system this week. I'm beginning my cruise next week.

Terri

Again, let me stress the importance of trip insurance and "cancel for any reason." Weather, unions, construction, government actions, natural events like fires, volcanoes, etc....why take chances?

davidrw,

Unfortunaltey, yes. If they are going on strike on Tuesday here in Bavaria and if they block the locks then you won´t be able to go from Passau to Regensburg. It´s pretty likely that you will make it to Passau as so far the strike is announced to begin on Tuesday here in Bavaria.

On Monday they start out in Northern Germany which will mainly affect the canals there which aren´t used by river cruise ships.

The affected parts are Danube river from Jochenstein (first lock in Germany) to Kelheim, Canal and Main river.

Unfortunaltey we won´t know anything for sure until the strike has started.

steamboats

davidrw,

Unfortunaltey, yes. If they are going on strike on Tuesday here in Bavaria and if they block the locks then you won´t be able to go from Passau to Regensburg. It´s pretty likely that you will make it to Passau as so far the strike is announced to begin on Tuesday here in Bavaria.

On Monday they start out in Northern Germany which will mainly affect the canals there which aren´t used by river cruise ships.

The affected parts are Danube river from Jochenstein (first lock in Germany) to Kelheim, Canal and Main river.

Unfortunaltey we won´t know anything for sure until the strike has started.

steamboats

Tonight we are travelling from Passau to Regensberg, let's see if we make it !!

How will this affect the portion of the Rhine from Amsterdam to Basel? We will be sailing on Sunday the 21st from Amsterdam. Has this sort of thing happened before? If so, how long does it last? I've been reading different articles and postings, but can't get a clear answer... Most say that it is primarily affecting shipping vessels, but I'm not sure. after the debacle with the major flooding a few weeks ago, you would think that river cruise companies would want to get in front of another potential disaster and alert travelers ASAP. It seems like River cruising can't win right now... #frustrated

The strike has started in Bavaria today. It´s still unknown which locks are affected and how long it will last.

WanderlustTraveler, the Rhine river will be fine as there aren´t any locks there.

steamboats

WanderlustTraveler, the Rhine river will be fine as there aren´t any locks there.

Steamboats: I have read that Iffezheim lock is blocked since yesterday. Also the WSV Trier (Moselle) wants to join. After my tours this morning I am trying to compile a list of affected locks. But so far it would just be safe to say that only the Elbe river will be fine due to 0 locks.

Ingo,

I don´t have a clue whether the Elbe-Sperrwerk at Geesthacht might be affected.

The lock on the Moselle river won´t affect any river cruises which stay on the Rhine river.

Can´t say for sure about Iffezheim but there is traffic going on upriver and currently it looks like a ship is approaching the lock (on Marinetraffic).

Unfortunately the Danube river is not pretty well covered by AIS (for public use). So it´s pretty hard to say which locks are closed.

steamboats

I don´t have a clue whether the Elbe-Sperrwerk at Geesthacht might be affected.

Geesthacht is not important, as most cruises on the Elbe disembark at Magdeburg. If they do at Hamburg, Geesthacht is close enough.

The lock on the Moselle river won´t affect any river cruises which stay on the Rhine river.

But there are plenty of cruises from Paris - Prague, which use the Moselle. As far as I know WSV Trier joined.

On Iffezheim: Maybe it was just closed yesterday (read it somewhere..), however the Neckar is closed down. In my opinion Verdi's strategy is to cut off the RWE coal power plants in the Ruhr area + industrial facilities along the Necker. Hopefully they are going to reopen the rest soon.

I tried to compile a list here: http://www.rivercruiseinfo.com/content/strike-germany-locks-are-blocked (also includes a very nice song :) )

Try to update it later and get more status.. However, got a tour in real life first..

Your up-to-date reports on the status of the locks is very helpful. I am scheduled for a river cruise from Amsterdam to Vienna later this summer and would appreciate your info as well, as to the conditions that you are finding in Passau and Regensburg as you make stops in these areas. Have your cruises had to

alter the itinerary in these areas or have they been conducted as scheduled?

Your up-to-date reports on the status of the locks is very helpful. I am scheduled for a river cruise from Amsterdam to Vienna later this summer and would appreciate your info as well, as to the conditions that you are finding in Passau and Regensburg as you make stops in these areas. Have your cruises had to

alter the itinerary in these areas or have they been conducted as scheduled?

In Regensberg today - got through the locks from Passau ok last night / this morning and currently still scheduled to go to Nurenberg tonight / tommorow.

All of the towns like Regensberg, Passau, Durnstein etc proudly display the new 2013 mark on their building, however everything appears normal for tourists.

Appreciate your update on the conditions. Hope you are able to make the trip as scheduled to Nurenburg.

So do I !!

However we were due to depart around now and the CD has just told us that we won't be leaving now and that we would be told why at the meeting tonight - it doesn't sound hopefull.

So here is the new status: Canals important for cargo are blocked until this weekend. The Rhine (Iffezheim) was striked against on Monday for a few hours. The Bavarians are striking at this moment on Main and Danube.

The Moselle (and Saar) are going to be affected mainly on Thursday.

In general it is really complicated to keep track: Often regular employees and civil servants (not allowed to strike) work at the same lock. So it might be open for one shift, then closes down again..

Avalon Update: July 9, 2013

As has been reported, German Labor Union Verdi has called on its members to strike. This decision will cause lock service disruptions along the Moselle, Main and Danube Rivers as well as the Main-Danube Canal this week.

Our operations team is in constant contact with river authorities, the union and several other sources to get up-to-date information to find out where and when strikes will take place to determine which cruises might be affected by these strikes. However, it is important to understand that the situation is fluid and largely unpredictable. In some areas, strikes are expected to last hours; in others, they could last days.

We can and will offer our cruisers contingency plans if and when our ships are unable to traverse through locks. These plans may include more sightseeing than is normal by motorcoach and/or hotel stays.

The choice to stay on the ship or visit portions of their itinerary by land will be up to our travelers.

Our goal is always – and will continue to be – to help our travelers enjoy Europe and its beautiful villages, towns, cities and landscapes.

Thank you for your time and understanding,

Avalon Waterways

There are 3 boats stuck in Regensberg, I am in the Avalon Expression and we came through the locks from Passau with the Swiss Jewel ( I think) just before they closed the locks. Viking Idun is also stranded.

We have been told that it appears to be a 48 hour strike starting at 06:00 today and are off for a couple of nights from tomorrow in a Nurenberg hotel and will hopefully pick up our boat after that !!

Hopefully that is all that goes wrong .

There are 3 boats stuck in Regensberg, I am in the Avalon Expression and we came through the locks from Passau with the Swiss Jewel ( I think) just before they closed the locks. Viking Idun is also stranded.

We have been told that it appears to be a 48 hour strike starting at 06:00 today and are off for a couple of nights from tomorrow in a Nurenberg hotel and will hopefully pick up our boat after that !!

Hopefully that is all that goes wrong .

PS , it is actually the Viking Odin with us, however they do have similar names !!

It would be good to hear from any passengers on the Odin or Swiss Jewel what they are doing. As the Avalon rep said in their post we have the option of staying with the boat and some of the less mobile are doing that, however it sounds a bit boring as they will miss three dats of tours and be on a boat sailing for 2 days non stop.

We are on the Odin and also stuck in Regensberg and will be traveling by bus today to visit Nuremberg. At this point no one knows how long the strike will last so decisions are being made day to day.

It will be interesting to compare what happens between the different companies. the Avalon Expression and Viking Odin are both on the Budapest to Amsterdam run. Avalon are bringing down a new CD to look after those left on the boat after we go touring for 3 days / 2 nights.

Archived