Silversea Customers BEWARE

MSHenson

I am an 85 year old widow who booked and filly paid for a once in a lifetime cruise for my family. Four staterooms on the Silver Shadow to Asia ( Feb. 10/ 2017 to Feb. 24 / 2017 ) The logistics of all my family booking vacation for the trip was no easy task. As an added bonus to reduce the cost of the cruise, Silversea offered a discount if the full price of the cruise was paid in advance of their normal payment dates. As Silversea demanded a prompt payment deadline, there was considerable stress placed upon me as I had to make several arrangements to obtain funds and convert money into US currency. Three days after receiving my full payment, Silversea contacted my travel agent to announce that they were cancelling the cruise. Apparently they had chartered the entire ship to some company. Silversea offered no apology, no compensation, no remorse. Their only suggestion to my travel agent was that I re-book in Oct.-Nov. of 2016 which we discovered is prime monsoon season in Asia.

Once I was notified that the cruise was cancelled, I expected I would promptly receive my money back. This was not the case. After constant phone calls, e-mails and wondering if the company would ever reimburse me, I finally got my money back after 5 weeks from the time they cancelled our cruise. By this time the availability on other cruise lines with the same accomadations was impossible to find and my money was all tied up with Silversea.

The stress in obtaining my money back and having the trip cancelled has caused me many sleepless nights. The mor I think about the whole matter, the more upset I get with Silversea Cruises!! It must of been known with fair certainty that they were going to cancel the cruise, yet they put me through all of this!

Once again, Beware of Silversea Cruise Line

Sad and Upset and Disappointed

Sylvia M. Teachout

I am an 85 year old widow who booked and filly paid for a once in a lifetime cruise for my family. Four staterooms on the Silver Shadow to Asia ( Feb. 10/ 2017 to Feb. 24 / 2017 ) Silversea offered no apology, no compensation, no remorse. Once I was notified that the cruise was cancelled, I expected I would promptly receive my money back. This was not the case. After constant phone calls, e-mails and wondering if the company would ever reimburse me, I finally got my money back after 5 weeks from the time they cancelled our cruise. Once again, Beware of Silversea Cruise Line. Sad and Upset and Disappointed. Sylvia M. Teachout

Disappointed to read of your sad and challenging situation. While we have only done four cruises with Silversea, we have found, in general, their on-ship people to be very good and highly responsive. BUT, we did have an "incident" in July 2010 with their central finance people in Monaco where the "numbers" people had very poor customer-service manners and attitudes. It happens, but it should not be the case!! Many times these finance-type people forget that making customers happy should be JOB ONE!! Good luck in finding future alternatives that work.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 148,281 views for this posting.

MSHenson should have her payment refunded in a much more timely fashion, especially with the planning that it took to book this voyage for a family.

That said, we were booked on the April 5th Hong Kong-Hong Kong Voyage which was also chartered, but the outcome was somewhat different. We were offered three options;a full refund, an additional 40% discount on any 2016 cruise, or a 20% discount on any 2017 cruise. Since our work schedules would not allow a trip later this year, we opted for a cruise next year. We received the additional 20% discount on top of the venetian, on board, 100 day discounts. We were allowed to pay in full and receive another 10% discount. So it worked out well, but we were also disappointed with the cancelation.

Thats a sorry state of affairs. I agree with daddyo, they should be compensating you with an offer that you feel happy that they have said sorry and made good.

Having just paid in full for a trip next March, I hope that doesnt happen to me.... unless they compensate with a grand suite world tour instead. Work can wait! lol

Come on Silversea, pull your finger out and do the right thing.