back from Serenade

Well our first cruise was exceptional thanks to all the hints and tips that I learned here. Here are my thoughts:

couldn't have lived without the shoe bag to hold all the "stuff"

should have checked out sitting for dinner as advised - we were right at the kitchen door, very noisy, but on the other hand hot food

cab fare for the 8 of us was vry reasonable- $30 from ship to airport 8 people, 26 bags

buy booze on the ship when they have the sale (2nd nite I believe) Absolut vodka $10/liter and $9 corage fee - that's only 4 drinks at the pool, flavored rums were about $3/liter

buy booze to bring home at San Juan airport. prices were vry similar to the island prices and believe me shlepping those boxes with 4 bottles in them was a PAIN. NExt time I would definitely wait and buy at the airport.

again as advised on this board, wait to buy the souvenirs until the last day. T shirts were 2/20, very wide selection.

buy a lanyard to hold sea pass, 2 of our group lost theirs twice in the first 2 days. Laynards saved the day.

Chops was very well worth the extra $. If you love beef, this is paradise.

Any questions, I would be glad to help. I felt like an "expert" with all the help I got here. thanks again.

jo-anne where in NY we have a storm advisory and snow falling like crazy....bring back those blue waters and sky......

thanks for your review-did you stay over the night before the cruise?

did they let you take the liqour bottles to your rooms when you bought it on board?

thanks in advance

We did stay overnight in San Juan and I would highly recommend it. We boarded about 1 pm and got the whole day to explore, eat and drink, then eat and drink some more. We stayed at the Radisson, waste of $ for an overnight stay, IMO. Cab fare from hotel to pier was approx $15 for 8 with all our bags.

We did not bring booze from home. I didn't actually see anyone bringing any type of beverage onboard. After a trip off ship, I did see several people bring back carryons and when they went thru the x-ray machine, there was a clear picture of a bottle, but nothing was confiscated.

Truly it's worth it to me to buy on board when they have the sale, pay the $10, after 4 drinks you are ahead of the game. I just couldn't take the stress of worrying if something would be confiscated.

MORTYPRO:

On an earlier cruise, we stayed one night before, at San Juan hotel. Very expensive area, IMO. We stayed at the Embassy Suites, which we thought was the best deal, for our group of 6 people. Beautiful pool area, Outback Steakhouse on the premises, not too far a stroll to the beach,etc.

MORTYPRO:

On an earlier cruise, we stayed one night before, at San Juan hotel. Very expensive area, IMO. We stayed at the Embassy Suites, which we thought was the best deal, for our group of 6 people. Beautiful pool area, Outback Steakhouse on the premises, not too far a stroll to the beach,etc.[/quote

thanks i will check it out

we will be leaving new york the day before as i am too nervous to leave the same day as we board on dec 31 so by going a day early we will guarantee all the others that are flying in the 31 that there won't be snow but if i wanted until the 31 there would be a huge storm. lol

I leave on Saturday for Serenade and cannot wait. Please advise what the approx. percentage of men who wore tuxes vs suits on formal night? Have both, just asking before I pack.

Also, was dinner open seating the first night? And what time was the life boat drill?

thanks

I leave on Saturday for Serenade and cannot wait. Please advise what the approx. percentage of men who wore tuxes vs suits on formal night? Have both, just asking before I pack.

Also, was dinner open seating the first night? And what time was the life boat drill?

Caviargal:

first formal night we ate at Chops but watching people line up for photos and entering the restaurants, I would say small percentage of tuxs - small percentage of women in long dresses, most were wearing suits and women in sparling everything :>)

Dinner was at your assigned table. Life boat drill was approx 7:30 - 8 ish.

I asked these to Magnum PI, too!

Was Allan Brooks your Cruise Director? Who was your Captain? Did he go by the Pitons and narrate? And by Montserrat? Did you play Quest? Was there construction at St. Lucia's pier?

Thanks in advance!

Our CD was Tim Sivert, captain was Stig Nelson, He was awesome about narrating everything and every island we passed.

WE did not play quest, but watched the show. It was hysterical. St Lucia was absolutely beautiful shopping area, we saw it from our window and were impressed with how lovely it looked.

jo-anne

OUr pool bar bartenders were Jorge and Chris. Didn't see Elvis, can't believe I just typed that, :>)

Do you happen know the Non Smoking Bartender ? Elvis was suppose to be working the bar where the production show are seen. He is from India.:D

Archived