Docking New York

DEEDIA

Looking for suggestions for a hotel near Cape Liberty. We will be driving to the port from Long Island, NY in the winter. We do not need a place that offers a park and cruise package. We would like a relatively safe location with secure parking. Thanks!

We are doing the Navigator TA on Nov 16 and will be Docking in New York for an over night stay, but where will the Ship Dock, any ideas where Royal Caribbean tie up. Thanks Diane

Interesting question. Navigator is being marketed with a New York, NY overnight and apparently RCL is ponying up the money for a Manhattan docking instead of a Bayonne docking. It shows on the NY 2016 cruise schedule - http://www.nycruise.com/schedule/

Interesting question. Navigator is being marketed with a New York, NY overnight and apparently RCL is ponying up the money for a Manhattan docking instead of a Bayonne docking. It shows on the NY 2016 cruise schedule - http://www.nycruise.com/schedule/

Simply clever (although deceptive) marketing: Brooklyn is properly part of "New York, NY"; although hardly as convenient to anything worth seeing in New York as the Manhattan terminal would have been. A generally reliable cruise web site (which CC rules prevent naming) advises that Navigator will overnight in Brooklyn, after calling at Boston, before continuing to Miami via Cape Canaveral.

RCL, rather than "ponying up the money for a Manhattan docking", is simply letting geographic vagueness work.

Simply clever (although deceptive) marketing: Brooklyn is properly part of "New York, NY"; although hardly as convenient to anything worth seeing in New York as the Manhattan terminal would have been. A generally reliable cruise web site (which CC rules prevent naming) advises that Navigator will overnight in Brooklyn, after calling at Boston, before continuing to Miami via Cape Canaveral.

RCL, rather than "ponying up the money for a Manhattan docking", is simply letting geographic vagueness work.

I thought Brooklyn was the hipster capital of the world? Are you suggesting RCI passengers aren't hipster enough to appreciate Brooklyn? :)

That's also interesting because NYCruise.com is showing:

11/18/16 Manhattan Navigator of the Seas Port-of-call

Do you think that the "generally reliable cruise web site" is more accurate than the official port website that Carol has cited, which shows the ship docking Manhattan?

Unless you can prove otherwise, I have to assume the official site has the correct information, not the mysterious site that you can't name.

I can't even imagine the CC postings if RCL promised New York and dumped a whole Voyager class shipload of people in either Bayonne or Brooklyn for a day!

I can already see the future posts. "We're in NYC for an evening and a day on Nov 18. We want to go to the SOL, go to the top of the Empire State, see the 911 Memorial and Museum, shop on Fifth Ave, go to a Broadway Show, and eat NY pizza. What's the best way to do this?"

I can't even imagine the CC postings if RCL promised New York and dumped a whole Voyager class shipload of people in either Bayonne or Brooklyn for a day!

I can already see the future posts. "We're in NYC for an evening and a day on Nov 18. We want to go to the SOL, go to the top of the Empire State, see the 911 Memorial and Museum, shop on Fifth Ave, go to a Broadway Show, and eat NY pizza. What's the best way to do this?"

There's no place more "NYC" than Brooklyn!

Where's the best place to view the Manhattan skyline? The esplanade in Brooklyn.

Where (according to the NYT) is the best pizza in NYC? DiFara's on J Street in Brooklyn.

The list goes on:

Brooklyn Botanical Garden

Prospect Park

Coney Island

NY Aquarium

Brooklyn Museum

And don't forget the food:

Peter Luger

River Cafe

Frankies Sputino

Brennan & Carr

Nathan's (the real one)

Do you think that the "generally reliable cruise web site" is more accurate than the official port website that Carol has cited, which shows the ship docking Manhattan?

Unless you can prove otherwise, I have to assume the official site has the correct information, not the mysterious site that you can't name.

The site, whose name begins with V, is not all that mysterious to anyone who does much basic general cruise research. I agree that the official city site should be more reliable - and probably is --- but I hope you are not suggesting that any New York City agency should be seen as infallible.

The site, whose name begins with V, is not all that mysterious to anyone who does much basic general cruise research. I agree that the official city site should be more reliable - and probably is --- but I hope you are not suggesting that any New York City agency should be seen as infallible.

Obviously not infallible, but I would rely on its accuracy versus an unofficial site.

Started looking for 2016 cruise availability out of metro NY area and believe it or not, there's fewer sailings between NCL & CCL based at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal due to ships' repo / dry dock or whatever - so that's an opening for RCI to berth at Pier 88 or 90 ...

Now, what if they disembark at Red Hook, Brooklyn & then move overnight to Manhattan for the embarkation, crazy idea & not to mention the extra port fees :eek::D

This was done in Hong Kong, where the mega ships used to dock at the industrial port away (or even tender) from the in-town/city pier known as "Ocean Terminal" next to the famous Star Ferry - and, then reposition to OT for the sailing afterward. Nowadays, the mega ships are using the former Kai Tak Airport's converted/newly constructed modern cruise terminal - with a great view of the city, day & night)

Nah, that would be too crazy for NYC - maybe RCI is just covering its bases & reserved/book the piers both at Brooklyn & at Manhattan, to play it safe.

I would love to see a schedule of RCCL docking in either Brooklyn or Manhattan, love RCCL but do not want to cruise from NJ

They cruised from Manhattan years ago, but moved their operation to Cape Liberty in 2004. Given that a new terminal was just built for them and a new parking garage will open shortly, they're not about to move from NJ any time soon.

I'm curious why you find cruising from Manhattan or Brooklyn acceptable, but not cruising from NJ. They're hardly more than a stone's throw apart.

Thank you for the response's but are we back to the beginning, Berth 88 -90 would be perfect, we have sailed out of NJ before and would not fancy a Taxi in out on day one then have to do the same Taxi jaunt on the 2nd day, that would be expensive.

They cruised from Manhattan years ago, but moved their operation to Cape Liberty in 2004. Given that a new terminal was just built for them and a new parking garage will open shortly, they're not about to move from NJ any time soon.

I'm curious why you find cruising from Manhattan or Brooklyn acceptable, but not cruising from NJ. They're hardly more than a stone's throw apart.

The problem is that, unless you are flying into EWR or driving, the Bayonne terminal is tougher to get to than Manhattan if flying to JFK or LGA, or taking a train to Penn Station in NY. For someone who'd like to experience the city for a day or so before (or after) sailing Manhattan makes a whole lot more sense.

Red Hook is in a dismal remote area.

I could never understand why more of the Hudson River piers, which used to accomodate a thriving passenger service, were not spruced up rather than turning to Red Hook.

Unless they picked up Red Hook and moved it recently, the waterfront neighborhood remains adjacent to toney Carroll Gardens. And it's less than 1.5 miles from the passenger terminal to even tonier Brooklyn Heights.

On a sorta related topic, the NJ port(s?) should not be discounted since that state's legislature may be contemplating a big improvement project to coincide with the recently proposed state name change to.....

.......New "Improved" Jersey :-)

And don't forget, ME a Brooklynite!! Like No Other Place In The World... Fuhgeddaboudit!!

brooklyn2_zpstuqpjqmh.jpg

brooklyn1_zpsenka0mq0.jpg

loved seeing those signs in cruise terminal, I also was born and raised in Brooklyn, 1st apartment was in mid 70's in Carroll Garden and I paid 150 a month for a 5 room apt, tiny rooms ancient building

S

Now, what if they disembark at Red Hook, Brooklyn & then move overnight to Manhattan for the embarkation, crazy idea & not to mention the extra port fees :eek::D

probably not. When one of Cunard ships disembarked in Bayonne and moved to Brooklyn for a new cruise ALL passengers including back to backs had to get off because of a possible PSVA violation. This would probably not be a problem as the cruise continues but no cruise line wants the fine. Its probably no more expensive in Manhattan than Brooklyn...its the same fees.

Unless they picked up Red Hook and moved it recently, the waterfront neighborhood remains adjacent to toney Carroll Gardens. And it's less than 1.5 miles from the passenger terminal to even tonier Brooklyn Heights.

On a sorta related topic, the NJ port(s?) should not be discounted since that state's legislature may be contemplating a big improvement project to coincide with the recently proposed state name change to.....

.......New "Improved" Jersey :-)

LOL its always been in Red Hook. Its south and west of the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel and the BQE. Its not far from Carroll Gardens but the entrance at Bowne off Van Brundt is definitely Red Hook. This all at one time was South Brooklyn and included Gowanus as well.