Manhattan Cruise Terminal Disembarkation and Uber

We're disembarking Breakaway at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal on May 28 and wondering how easy it is to get one (perhaps two) Uber rides... possibly SUVs... at that location. Given the many disembarking passengers, etc, is getting an Uber ride any problem? Any idea if there is a common pickup location?

Don't expect to be picked up directly at the cruise terminal. Your pick up point is likely to be somewhere on the other side of 12th Ave or an adjacent side street. You're going to be in a high demand time, so Uber's surge pricing could easily increase your fare.

If you want an Uber car make sure you book it through the Uber app. Do not accept offers from from people who pretend to be dispatchers at the taxi stand across the street on 12th Ave to get an "Uber" for you. You could easily fall prey to a rip off artist who will charge you more than the proper fare.

Are any transportation options allowed to pick you up at the cruise terminal? Taxis? Other car services that are prearranged in advance? Or do all options require a walk across 12th Ave? Is that a long walk from exiting the terminal?

Are any transportation options allowed to pick you up at the cruise terminal? Taxis? Other car services that are prearranged in advance? Or do all options require a walk across 12th Ave? Is that a long walk from exiting the terminal?

It depends. Sometimes they allow pick up at the terminal, sometimes not. The possible factors are traffic, number of ships docked at the port that day, and just the whim of the person in charge, and I'm being serious. Usually when you have a big ship like Breakaway in port they make you go across the street. A possible way around that is you can sometimes get a taxi if you go up to the first level above the street level (the drop off level) and get a taxi that has dropped someone off.

It's not a long walk to cross the street, just a bit of a pain. Although you cross 6 lanes of traffic there is a traffic light and police and port workers there directing traffic

We came off the Gem 2 weeks ago and use the porter for express services inside the building for quick CBP egress, as there're only 6 or 7 booths open with agents on duty, around 8:45 or 8:50 AM. Porter told us he could take us to level 2 upstairs & get a taxi, or to 12th Avenue curbside and we can then walk across W. 48th Street for car service or Uber (just like last time, he said safety/insurance regulations now prohibit them from taking luggage & us across 6 lanes of traffic - they put themselves at risk should they ignore it.

Just like before, we did NOT pre-book and just used our Carmel App on the smartphone to find an available vehicle ... several 4 door sedans in the area, 6 to 8 minutes and a few blocks away ... while DW went to the restroom. Set the pickup for 10 minutes and it worked out perfectly, got about a minute to spare before the Toyota Avalon turned the corner & the driver ringed to see where we're standing.

Our preferred pickup point - W. 48th Street on the left side, mid-block (it's one way, heading east toward Times Square & Queens Midtown Tunnel to LGA or JFK, easy access to Lincoln Tunnel out to EWR) between 12th Avenue and 11th Avenue. Easy for the driver to look for and spot us while we keep our eyes out for the car & driver.

The walk from the elevators to across the street may be shorter then from the elevators to where you parked the car on the roof of the pier. It is not that terrible to cross 12th Ave and if you can not make it across in one cycle of the light there is an island in the middle you can wait for the next light.

Cabs don't want to sit in traffic empty and the time it takes to go around and come up to the 2nd level of the piers to pickup is time not making money. I have even had car service (Black Car) drivers ask if they can drop me off across the street. Of course the tip reflected that choice.

Other times I would go directly up to the 2nd floor and hail a cab (Metered) that just dropped off someone that was departing on the next cruise. For me depends on what day it is, weather etc on what service I use to get home.

Too bad CTN's are gone, then I would take the subway and walk.

I still do send the DW home in a cab with the bags and take the subway to work if I can't get the time off.

After reading this here is my dilemma, I am doing the Breakaway in Dec for 12 days. So parking at the port is $400. So we were going to use a car service from philly that would be about $300 R/T. Now is sounds like a real pain to meet your car afterwards. Plus I know we will be dragging 3 large suit cases with us plus at least one carry on. So asking anyone who did either way or both which do you like better.

Phillyguy31 - as others said, the walk across 12th Avenue isn't all that bad. If you are hauling 3 "large" (heavy) suitcase + at least 1 carry-on, then I would get a porter to assist ... he will take you on the fast track and drop you & belongings curbside on 12th Avenue - you wait for the walk signal & go across to the other side. There is a wide pedestrian/traffic island in the middle for those that walk slowly with luggage - and then, find that spot to meet your driver. https://www.dropbox.com/s/v79dqgpn4qxu2w8/IMAG0265.jpg?dl=0

This is a snapshot from the corner of W. 48th Street & 12th Avenue, on the northbound direction - looking across at Pier 88 - the ship/terminal is practically there ... it is not much worst than going to one of the major airport for luggage drop-off and counter check-in, you have to walk a little distance.

Or, pack less & travel lighter - we've done 2 weeks trip going overseas with a 22" roller and a cabin-sized backpack ... key is laundry - and, you are sailing into warmer weather for the Caribbean. Once you are onboard the ship, you really have little need or use for your winter parka/coat and long sleeve. Take advantage of the laundry specials onboard (even if don't get it done free) @ $20 per bag, all you can stuff & fit ... do that once or twice if necessary, mix & match with your clothes - hardly anyone will notice, especially with freestyle cruising where there isn't even a dress-up or not evening or captain's dinner. I stopped packing my navy blazer for a while as resort casual is the norm these days on NCL.

After reading this here is my dilemma, I am doing the Breakaway in Dec for 12 days. So parking at the port is $400. So we were going to use a car service from philly that would be about $300 R/T. Now is sounds like a real pain to meet your car afterwards. Plus I know we will be dragging 3 large suit cases with us plus at least one carry on. So asking anyone who did either way or both which do you like better.

Can you tell me which car service you are using from Philly?

We decided not to use them since it was a shared ride which could mean that we might sit at newark of jfk waiting for a flight to come in. Anything private is 350 one way. Now we have to decide whether to drive ourselves or bite the bullet and pay the cost.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Any idea how much it would be for a party of 4 to the Newark airport? Is Carmel a local car company? Thanks!

We came off the Gem 2 weeks ago and use the porter for express services inside the building for quick CBP egress, as there're only 6 or 7 booths open with agents on duty, around 8:45 or 8:50 AM. Porter told us he could take us to level 2 upstairs & get a taxi, or to 12th Avenue curbside and we can then walk across W. 48th Street for car service or Uber (just like last time, he said safety/insurance regulations now prohibit them from taking luggage & us across 6 lanes of traffic - they put themselves at risk should they ignore it.

Just like before, we did NOT pre-book and just used our Carmel App on the smartphone to find an available vehicle ... several 4 door sedans in the area, 6 to 8 minutes and a few blocks away ... while DW went to the restroom. Set the pickup for 10 minutes and it worked out perfectly, got about a minute to spare before the Toyota Avalon turned the corner & the driver ringed to see where we're standing.

Our preferred pickup point - W. 48th Street on the left side, mid-block (it's one way, heading east toward Times Square & Queens Midtown Tunnel to LGA or JFK, easy access to Lincoln Tunnel out to EWR) between 12th Avenue and 11th Avenue. Easy for the driver to look for and spot us while we keep our eyes out for the car & driver.

Any idea how much it would be for a party of 4 to the Newark airport? Is Carmel a local car company? Thanks!

Carmel and Dial 7 are 2 of the largest, licensed car service company in the metro NY area, each fleet has several hundred vehicles & drivers - 24/7/365 & computerized dispatch. Link below - they have free mobile App to book, on the spot (we book ahead going to MCT but typically as we leave customs/arrival hall w. luggage)

I picked a Sunday morning, 9:45 AM pickup from MCT to EWR, 4 pax + 4 luggage - 4 door sedans are over capacity, best to use a minivan, roomy & ride/seated higher up. Base fare is $66, add about $5 for tolls - 20% tips, about $85 in total. Digital coupon for trips over $60 - $5 off, so your net is about $80 split by 4 or $20 p/p, curbside to terminal curbside ... weekend mornings, traffic is usually good, about 45 minutes or less.

https://www.carmellimo.com/WebApp/index.jsp

Plus, airline FF get to accrue some mileage for the booking ... not bad, just got about 300 miles added recently myself (registered account w. FF info stored) - Tip (select pickup location under the drop-down list, under Manhattan, click down list of "Hotels" & you will find Pier 88 - Cruise Terminal ... as your shortcut for pickup & then use EWR or Newark Airport for dropoff, no need to input detailed addresses)

Dial 7's website will also quote your fares - Uber as well, except their congestion pricing can send prices sky high ... (not a fan of using ride sharing).

Carmel and Dial 7 are 2 of the largest, licensed car service company in the metro NY area, each fleet has several hundred vehicles & drivers - 24/7/365 & computerized dispatch. Link below - they have free mobile App to book, on the spot (we book ahead going to MCT but typically as we leave customs/arrival hall w. luggage)

I picked a Sunday morning, 9:45 AM pickup from MCT to EWR, 4 pax + 4 luggage - 4 door sedans are over capacity, best to use a minivan, roomy & ride/seated higher up. Base fare is $66, add about $5 for tolls - 20% tips, about $85 in total. Digital coupon for trips over $60 - $5 off, so your net is about $80 split by 4 or $20 p/p, curbside to terminal curbside ... weekend mornings, traffic is usually good, about 45 minutes or less.

Plus, airline FF get to accrue some mileage for the booking ... not bad, just got about 300 miles added recently myself (registered account w. FF info stored) - Tip (select pickup location under the drop-down list, under Manhattan, click down list of "Hotels" & you will find Pier 88 - Cruise Terminal ... as your shortcut for pickup & then use EWR or Newark Airport for dropoff, no need to input detailed addresses)

Dial 7's website will also quote your fares - Uber as well, except their congestion pricing can send prices sky high ... (not a fan of using ride sharing).

One note...your toll estimate and resulting total is about $15 too low. You have to add in the Hudson River crossing tolls as the car services in my experience usually assume the vehicle will be returning to NY empty.

One note...your toll estimate and resulting total is about $15 too low. You have to add in the Hudson River crossing tolls as the car services in my experience usually assume the vehicle will be returning to NY empty.
Thanks, good point. Taxis would charge/collect that $15 toll - don't know if Uber/Lyft do that. Trips from EWR or NJ into NYC definitely has the $15 toll based on the cash rate, plus the NJ Turnpike/Extension toll (depending on the "exact" routes.)

Carmel is a little "vague" on this, about charging for the return tolls - wordings: Not every trip to/from the airports will result in a toll.

The few times I priced out quotes on Dial 7 - their prices mostly come out a little higher, nothing significant - they also reserved the rights to impose "surge and/or congestion pricing" - Carmel has yet to charge us tolls both ways - on our airport (LGA & JFK) and cruise terminal rides (Manhattan.) When we sailed out of C.L. - we just drove across & park there for the week, so much easier ... not an option for out-of-town flyers.

To play it safe, bump up the "estimated" fares, tolls & add the tipped amount, would bring that to about $100 for a minivan - if it's 2 or 3 riders plus luggage, and can fit into a full-size sedan, it would be cheaper. (Tolls from Lincoln Tunnel to CL @about $4 each way, add the $15 for Holland/Lincoln Tunnel for the return - would be $19 more ... less if the driver without a fare decided to use local streets) Hmmm, let's just use the higher ballpark numbers.

:DThanks so much for the info. We'll be on Carnival and we're thinking of taking their bus back to the airport, but this gives us options. We're probably staying in North Bergen the night prior to the cruise, so we may need one of the car services to get the 4 of us over to the terminal on Saturday morning. I appreciate your help.

:D ... We'll be on Carnival ... this gives us options. We're probably staying in North Bergen ... may need one of the car services to get the 4 of us over to the terminal on Saturday morning.
You're welcomed. So, there's 4 of you, flying into/out of EWR, staying in No. Bergen & sailing CCL out of Manhattan - spliting the costs of a comfortable mini-van, car service would be the way to go, for simplicity & ease ... you will save money over cruiseline's bus transfers to airport.

Cruise terminal is a short & quick ride/trip from nearby No. Bergen, across the Hudson River (Lincoln Tunnel is closest but GW Bridge is the better approach to the pier, longer route - although, Saturday morning - traffic is typically light enough ... driver should be able to use local streets to get to the crossing, just one $15 toll into NYC - plus fares & tips, shouldn't cost more than $85 to $90 with tips included. Both Dial7 and Carmel are using Toyota Sienna as their minivan, we booked a standard 4 door sedan to the pier as it's just 2 of us and got a free upgrade, minivan as it was the nearest one available & assigned to us.

Download the free App from Carmel or Dial 7 and you can use it to book the ride, unless it's a holiday weekend, I usually just book them the night before, a 8 to 12 hours notice is more than enough for their computerized dispatch to confirm that the driver/vehicle will be there & ready (and, 95% of the time - they are 5 minutes early & will call to say they are outside, ready to go)

Is that the "Sunshine" that you are sailing soon - we should book one, just to do something a little different ... probably in 2018. Anyway, enjoy your cruise & welcome to the Big Apple !

Sorry just need clarification

Never disembarked in NYC before so from what I am reading if you want a taxi you have to go out of the port area & across the road to line up is that correct?

How crazy can it get when there are 5 ships in port that morning?

TIA

Sorry just need clarification

Never disembarked in NYC before so from what I am reading if you want a taxi you have to go out of the port area & across the road to line up is that correct?

How crazy can it get when there are 5 ships in port that morning?

TIA

Most often you are directed to a taxi stand across the street from the cruise terminal on the northbound side of 12th Ave. It can be quite crazy with multiple ships in port, particularly if there are one or more very large ships such as the Norwegian Breakaway.

Looking ahead - September 2017, 10th. and 16th - MCT has 4 ships docking, again October 7th. - 4 ships ... both with 3 ships doing turnaround and 1 docking for port of call. We are sailing this Fall on another day with 4 ships at MCT and returning with 4 (luckily, 3 other ships are port of call.)

https://www.nycruise.com/schedule/

Looks like they will be using Pier 92 again for the smaller ship / port of call ... which was damaged in 2012 during Sandy and repaired. Immigration/customs will be challenged and ground transportation isn't going to be fun, but, it's been handled and done before. Patience ! You can pretty much count on folks being sent across 12th Avenue for taxis, car services & meeting up private pickup & transfers, etc. We will get the "joy" of experiencing it first hand.

They can and have handled 5. Two at Pier 88, two at Pier 90 and one at Pier 92.

Should have seen MCT during the years of the large Fleet Week, a lot more than five ships berthed. Of course you had to cross thru one ship to get to the other ;)

Here is an older shot of MCT with 4 cruise ships berthed with one at Pier 92.

For reference the tower under construction (tall skinny lined up between Pier 90/92) is now complete so over a year ago maybe two.

The issue with two ships at 88 and 90 is no room to bunker fuel from a fuel barge.

mct_piers_94_86_zpsg47zfimw.jpg