Melbourne Small Tour Options

Hi marynsteve

You asked about tours in Melbourne. My suggestion for a day in Melbourne would be to take the light rail in to the city and board the free hop on hop off bus which goes to many of Melbourne's atractions ie the Melbourne Cricket Ground for a tour and the National Sports Museum, the Arts Centre and National Gallery, Federation Square including the Ian Potter gallery of Australian art, Melbourne Museum etc etc. Other nearby attractions are Old Melbourne Gaol (guided tours available), Melbourne Star observation wheel, Eureka Tower for a bird's eye view of Melbourne, the Shrine, botanical gardens (bus tour is very good), the Aquarium, Southgate etc. If you would like more details about any of these places, just ask!

Lesley and Des

Hi Leslie & Wes!

I have a challenge for you. Our visit to Melbourne on the Maasdam is on Christmas Day. The free bus doesn't run, in fact many places are closed.

Any suggestions to make the most of our one day visit to Melbourne on Christmas is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Arie

Hi Arie,

Just to let you know that on Christmas Day in Melbourne, the following will be open -

the Melbourne Star Observation Wheel, the Eureka Tower, the Aquarium, the Zoo, the Botanical Gardens (but the information centre and tour bookings will be closed), Federation Square, and some of the Southgate cafes.

I can give you more details if any of these attractions appeal to you.

Also - on Christmas Day public transport is free.

Melbourne's weather around Christmas is a bit unpredictable, but a picnic lunch and swim at the beach would be a novel Christmas Day activity for you, I would imagine!

I hope this helps,

Lesley

Thank you Leslie!

One of the friends we are cruising with found this site which confirms your information: http://www.onlymelbourne.com.au/open-christmas-day#.WT6YVE3rthH

Believe we may do the aquarium and the skydeck. Normally wouldn't choose that when visiting (what to us is an exotic) port, but we will make the best of what is available!

Thanks again!

Hi Arie,

Just to let you know that on Christmas Day in Melbourne, the following will be open -

the Melbourne Star Observation Wheel, the Eureka Tower, the Aquarium, the Zoo, the Botanical Gardens (but the information centre and tour bookings will be closed), Federation Square, and some of the Southgate cafes.

I can give you more details if any of these attractions appeal to you.

Also - on Christmas Day public transport is free.

Melbourne's weather around Christmas is a bit unpredictable, but a picnic lunch and swim at the beach would be a novel Christmas Day activity for you, I would imagine!

I hope this helps,

Lesley

Lesley, we will not be in Melbourne on Christmas Day but I very much like your swim at the beach suggestion!

Hi marynsteve

You asked about tours in Melbourne. My suggestion for a day in Melbourne would be to take the light rail in to the city and board the free hop on hop off bus which goes to many of Melbourne's atractions ie the Melbourne Cricket Ground for a tour and the National Sports Museum, the Arts Centre and National Gallery, Federation Square including the Ian Potter gallery of Australian art, Melbourne Museum etc etc. Other nearby attractions are Old Melbourne Gaol (guided tours available), Melbourne Star observation wheel, Eureka Tower for a bird's eye view of Melbourne, the Shrine, botanical gardens (bus tour is very good), the Aquarium, Southgate etc. If you would like more details about any of these places, just ask!

Lesley and Des

Thank you for the suggestions Lesley and Des! If you have recommendations for a local small tour operators, we would love. We like to do our tours with small groups, not the large coach buses the cruise ship offers. Suggestions appreciated!

Also, if you have any info on a Great Ocean Road shore excursion, with a pickup and drop off at the cruise terminal, we are very interested. Thank You! Mary & Steve

Hi Mary & Steve,

Sorry, but I don't think I can help you with shore excursions. As we live in Melbourne, we have no need of coach trips because we use our car. The only ones that I know of are with large buses. I hope you find what you are after, and that you enjoy your time in Melbourne.

From Lesley and Des

When we were in Melbourne two years ago, we walked just outside the port area to a small convenience store right next to the tram track which sold tram tickets. Purchased a ticket and rode tram 109 into town.

We then took a great free 3 hour walking tour through I'm Free Walking Tours: http://www.imfree.com.au/melbourne/

The walking tour was fun and informative.

After the walking tour we had plenty of time to explore the town and grab a tram back to the port.

We used this website to get some great information and maps prior to leaving: https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/