All Gay or Straight Cruise ???

SunDiegoCruiser

I am considering booking the Atlantis Mexico Cruise on Golden Princess Oct 5. I have cruised many times solo before and love it. I've never been on an all-gay cruise and have so far been avoiding them because I'm not sure if I'd enjoy the experience.

I am 40 something, handsome, single, have a great body, am somewhat shy and reserved, but I also enjoy meeting people on cruises and having a great time. The thought of an Atlantis cruise sort've makes me nervous. I think it could be too much. I need to be able chill out, relax and be by myself with plenty of down time in a relaxing, calm atmosphere- That's one reason I cruise alone in the straight world. I don't know if I can handle gay 24-7. Maybe I would feel self-conscious, as though on stage the entire time. Of course, I also love to hang out and party with my gay brothers and sisters, meet new people, have fun and :p ( ;

Any experienced all-gay cruise goers out there with advice or insight on what I might expect on such a trip based on my needs?

Someone mentioned online that on a past Atlantis cruise they had to go through drug-sniffing dogs at embarkation. That doesn't sound right. Has anyone experienced that? Also, what is the procedure for shore excursions? Does Atlantis take care of that or is it still done through the cruise line? And how do they work out the dinner seating?

Thank You for any insight.

I am considering booking the Atlantis Mexico Cruise on Golden Princess Oct 5. I have cruised many times solo before and love it. I've never been on an all-gay cruise and have so far been avoiding them because I'm not sure if I'd enjoy the experience.

I am 40 something, handsome, single, have a great body, am somewhat shy and reserved, but I also enjoy meeting people on cruises and having a great time. The thought of an Atlantis cruise sort've makes me nervous. I think it could be too much. I need to be able chill out, relax and be by myself with plenty of down time in a relaxing, calm atmosphere- That's one reason I cruise alone in the straight world. I don't know if I can handle gay 24-7. Maybe I would feel self-conscious, as though on stage the entire time. Of course, I also love to hang out and party with my gay brothers and sisters, meet new people, have fun and :p ( ;

Any experienced all-gay cruise goers out there with advice or insight on what I might expect on such a trip based on my needs?

Someone mentioned online that on a past Atlantis cruise they had to go through drug-sniffing dogs at embarkation. That doesn't sound right. Has anyone experienced that? Also, what is the procedure for shore excursions? Does Atlantis take care of that or is it still done through the cruise line? And how do they work out the dinner seating?

I'm 44 and wouldn't describe myself near as hot as you do... ;-) Also travel solo, and shy and reserved and tend to meet good people on cruises. I did my 1st atlantis this march out of SanJuan. As you thought, I thought I'd be overwhelmed and too much. I had taken 2 straight (but always find the gays) and 2 gay group (Pied Piper) cruses prior.

Well, I LOVED the cruise. I just went with the mindset I'd do as much or as little as I wanted to do. Yes it was crazy...underwear were the equivalent of the little black dress, but it was comfortable at the same time. I basically did as I normally do on cruises with same routine, I loved the afternoon theme tea dances, and just popped in and out of the evening parties, and didn't care if i went to baed at 11 or 3 am. I enjoyed my downtime as well as the party time. I'm reserved, and found myself in my camouflage underwear for the afternoon camouflage theme party even :-) The entertainment was top notch, the sound systems and lighting amazing.

I was told by some on the cruise the SanJuan one attract a slightly older crowd, I'd say average age was 25-50, whereas the LA and Fort Lauderdale based ones will trend to younger folks given the ease of those major cities and less travel time and cost. Id assume if yours departs from mexico, it may be older, unless it's easy for LA people to get there.

I've heard people refer to the LA and Lauderdale cruises as "drug tugs", but have no way to verify how bad it was. I can say I didn't notice much of it if any (though I know I'd be kidding myself to say there was none) on this cruise, if there was, it was kept very much on the down low. I have heard of the drug dogs on multiple Atlantis cruises, but don't recall them on this one boarding or departing any different than normal cruises. Remember Beagle dogs are looking for foods, not drugs. Shepards look for drugs I think (each dog species specializes in different techniques I've learned)

Shore excursions are booked thru the cruise line, dinner was all "select" seating, come and be seated, no coordinated 6 and 8:30 seating (I was on Celebrity Summit). You could come with a group to be seated, or they would offer solos option of a single table or to join in where there was an open seat someplace. They did not offer any alcoholic drink packages, it was pay as you go, though they did sell nonalcoholic packages and wine packages, all through the cruise line. Overall it was run like a celebrity cruise as far as onboard spending an excursions goes. One nice thing, they kept the buffet open till 4 am, then had Bistro on 5 open from 4-6 until buffet reopened. so there was 24 hours of meals available for the late, late night partiers.

Basically during the day activities were normal and ship-like, with a gayer theme. Then afternoon tea dance from 4-6,m then dinner time then poolside night party 8-2 am, then the party moved to the top deck Skyview or whatever they call it lounge for the final hoorah each night, so the noise from pool didn't interfere with cabins in the area for sleeping..or whatever else one wanted to do ;-)

The top forward deck was used for all nude sunbathing and turned into a bathhouse "the Dick Deck" at night basically.... But the rest of the ship, was pretty "normal".

Thanks for posting this. My partner and I have always wondered about these cruises ourselves. We've been together 17 years and always thought it would be nice to cruise with "family". We like to spend time alone also, whether it be walking the ship or sitting on our balcony. What we are not looking for is a "meat market". We've always had the image of it being a gay club on water. I'm glad it's not quite that bad. ;)

Edited by shawne71

My experience is with RSVP cruises (though we did an Atlantis week before we started cruising). These days RSVP and Atlantis are run pretty much the same though the clientele may be a bit different. Atlantis in the Caribbean (except the March cruise) and Mexico is considered more of a younger, party crowd compared to their other cruises which are compared more to RSVP cruises. Recently we have met many Atlantis cruisers on RSVP looking for something a little less hectic. As an example: Atlantis dances go on until sunrise; RSVP cruise dances end around 2:00 am on the upper deck and moved to the disco till 4:00 am. RSVP has events scheduled onboard ship before lunch while Atlantis does not.

There have been some issue with drugs and drug overdoses on Atlantis whilst that had not been an issue on any of our cruises. Are there people doing drugs on RSVP? Yes. I have smelled marijuana and on the odd occasion seen someone sniff something but it is not a big issue on RSVP.

You wonder about being "on stage" all the time; with so many people on board and a few being over the top and "on" all the time, you may blend in much easier that you expect. There are other shy and reserved people on the cruises too and they seem to enjoy themselves. They participate as much as they feel comfortable with. Like cle-guy there are guys I know that enjoy the tea dances but in the evening they enjoy dinners, the shows and hanging out.

We enjoy both tea dances and night time parties but there is usually one night in the cruise where I decide it's an early night for me and I go to bed soon after dinner. That gives me the chance to be up really early in the morning and enjoy a very quiet ship, grabbing some coffee and watching the sunrise.

On RSVP they have a couple of singles get-togethers - sometimes invaded by coupled ones :O. RSVP crew will be at the entrance of the dining room and will seat you with other singles - or any table - if you wish. There is also a place for singles to meet over drinks and then as a group go to dinner. We had two single friends with us on the last cruise; one was more into the single mixers than the other but they both tried it.

Our first cruise was a RSVP cruise and we were a bit anxious about it not knowing what to expect but I found Cruise Critic and a G&L roll call for our cruise so I was able to ask questions, get info and get to know a few people before getting onboard and that made a difference! We are friends and keep contact with most of those early CC friends; a few years ago we scattered the ashes of one of them while sailing in the Caribbean. I know Atlantis sees a lot less activity on Cruise Critic than RSVP does, but if you do book that cruise, see if a roll call was started for your cruise and join it; if there isn't one, start one. You may have just a few people participating in the roll call but you could make a connection with someone else, maybe even other singles like you or other gay cruise virgins.

You can participate in the activities as much as you like and nobody will bother you. Our one single friend spends a good amount of time reading a book on his balcony. (Other times he is dancing till 4 am!)

Go with an open mind and you will be fine. People are really friendly and accepting and it is easy to make friends.

An all-gay cruise is not a meat-market, unless you want to put yourself out there as a piece of meat. It is easy to be alone if that is what you want. I have had the drug-sniffing dogs on an ordinary cruise. It may depend on where the ship has stopped. The major downside to an all-gay cruise is that they usually are a bit more expensive and a single has to pay double. But they are SOOOOO MUCH FUN. My partner and I have been together for over 40 years, we are much older than you and we have taken an all-gay cruise nearly every year for the past 15 years or so. Come join us and several thousand other people looking for some fun and great entertainment.

Thank you guys so much for addressing all my questions. I really enjoyed your stories.

It sounds like a blast and I will give it a try. No matter how gay we are, we're always living in a world that is mostly straight, but being in a completely gay world for a week- what a trip.

I've been on numerous Atlantis cruises and they have been nothing short of spectacular. Atlantis caters to a wide range of passengers from 18-80, couple to singles, from twinks to bears, from book worms to the circuit party boys. Although most guys come from the US I've met guys from all over the world from Japan to Israel, from Australia to Uruguay. Since there are all types of people you will find activities and entertainment catering all tastes. However, these are high energy cruises because gay men are high energy who love to party, drink and have a great time. Yes it is gay 24/7 and I'm pretty "gayed" out by the end of the trip...but it is a gay cruise. What do you expect? But don't worry there are plenty of places to chill out and get away from it all as well as going into port. Plus they offer all the traditional cruise activities. The entertainment is geared toward to GLBT along with the normal ship shows and of course there are the massive late night themed dance parties up on deck.

I've never ever been search or been sniff by security dog other than the regular screening of hang luggage at embarkation. I can't say it hasn't happen to others, but in all my years I've been never heard of this being a major problem/issue. If you don't bring recreational drugs with you (and you shouldn't) why do you care if there are drug sniffing dogs? Atlantis and the cruise lines have every right to ensure illegal drugs are NOT brought on board the ship. On one of my cruises one guy died from a drug overdose so people do try to sneak it on. It is in the interest of Atlantis and the Cruise line to discourage illegal drugs from being brought on board private property for the safety of all.

The cruise line organized most all shore tours; however, Atlantis will offer a few specialized tours through the cruise line - maybe like gay bar hopping tour in Puerto Vallarta. In most case all tours can be pre-booked prior to embarkation and Atlantis will provide you with instruction on how to book via email when bookings open up.

Dining seating is open. Atlantis staff along with the dining room wait staff will seat you with others at large table of eight to ten as you enter the dining room. Something’s they will organize hosted singles table. Usually there a single's cocktail party at 7PM and most guys leave the bar around 8PM to head to the dining room together. This is the best way to meet people and make friends over a meal. The Lido Buffet is always open for breakfast, lunch and dinner with expanded late dining from 1AM to 5AM just for Atlantis’ charter.

Atlantis will hold two single's dinners during the cruise in a sectioned off part of the dining room. Name tags are given and after each course you will be instructed at a given point to take your beverage and napkin and move to another table. Sort of like musical chairs and speed dating. It's a great way to meet a bunch of single guys over a course of a meal. It's totally fun and non-threatening.

As far as being nervous...sure, that's normal. I'm not sure what's to be nervous about? Yes, there will be lot of good looking men on board, but everyone is pretty friendly. People are on vacation having a good time. I've always met nice guys and made friends. There is now a Facebook group for this sailing. Just do a search on FB and join the conversation.

SDC, I think your main problem will be that you may find yourself to be one of the hottest and youngest guys on board. We were shocked at how old and overweight many of the Atlantis cruisers are. Although there is usually a group of about 200 youngish party boys on each cruise. (I think Atlantis hires them...)

I want to tell you that after taking a few cruises not once have I ever been sniffed by a dog, either in the US or on a Caribbean island, and certainly not in Europe.

On the other hand, if you bring drugs on board you're making a mistake. You'll be crossing borders, going through security checks, and so on. It's foolish.

Yes, I would agree w/IslandExplorer. Atlantis' marketing material would make you think all the guys are 32 and work out at the gym 7 days a week. That's far from the case and somewhat misleading. There is plenty of young eye candy around the pool, but you will find plenty of older guys and couples. Richard Campbell, CEO, at Atlantis has made it very clear that gay men book cruises based on looks and sex and that is reflected in Atlantis' marketing material. Unfortunately, older or average guys might feel intimidated booking an Atlantis cruise for the first time if they might feel out of place for and the same would apply for a young 21 year old if they thought is it was just older couples and hairy bears. The reality is it's a mixed of the both young and old and everything in between. Here is a great days by day article on Cruisecritic for Atlantis' Freedom of the Seas cruises written while back:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/virtual/virtual.cfm?ID=22&page=1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so this thread went the exact opposite from what I was expecting. I thought the OP was going to say "I'm more comfortable with all gay and not sure I'd like a non-gay cruise." I was going to share our heart-stopping experience:

On the second cruise we ever took, computer problems kept them from checking people in on time, so basically every passenger was herded into the cattle lines to wait. I noticed one guy's shirt, then another's, then a hat, then a leather jacket... Finally I asked one of them, "Uhm...I'm seeing a trend here. Is it coincidence that most everybody has Harley gear on or what?" He said, "Oh no, it's not a coincidence. This the annual 'HOGS on the High Seas' cruise. I think this ship fits about 3,500 people (actual capacity 3,634 pax) and we've got something like 2,300 in our group." I almost had a panic attack, thinking "OH GOD...they're going to find our lifeless bodies at the bottom of the pool one night." Although I've never seen so much Bud Light in my LIFE, we actually enjoyed interacting with more people on that cruise than any other we've been on.

{Side note in case you know someone who needs it: The 'HOGS on the High Seas' cruise is a benefit cruise, with the fare premiums paying all expenses for dialysis patients and their families, as well as for bringing dialysis machines & extra medical staff on board. There were 7 dialysis machines on that sailing.}

We've never been on an all-gay cruise, mostly for the same reasons as SunDiegoCruiser and cle-guy cited as their preconceived notions. Huge thanks to cle-guy, shawne71, Boytjie, Darrell6t and COMBOY for providing such insight into what the RSVP, Atlantis, etc. cruises are really like. :)

• 1 month later...

I'll be going on my 6th Atlantis cruise this coming february. They are fantastic. And it very well could be the best vacation you've ever taken. I cruise with the same group of friends from around the world-and we all get along fantastically. I room with a straight girl friend and we have a blast. I will say that my first couple of cruises were pretty wild. But I've calmed down a lot since then. As others have stated, it is going to be whatever you make it to be. You control what you do and how much you participate in. The Mexican Cruise you are thinking about is a younger crowd and more of a 'party' atmosphere than say, the March cruises.

My frist Atlantis cruise I was in the share program. I was able to find my roomie on fb before we left so he and I got to know each other before we cruised. We got along just fine-although he did spend most of his time with a group of fellow Spaniards he met onboard.

Participate! Bring some little things to dress up. Bring something for the white party, bring fun underwear for the unofficial underwear party. Bring stuff to decorate your cabin door! Remember that while less is more, nothing is boring!! Being part of the fun is a lot better than watching others. It's doesn't have to be a lot, just a little something here and there!

Pace yourself. As Malcolm always says 'It's a marathon, not a sprint'. That goes for drink, food and men.

Ahh.. Men-you will find any number of men that would be happy to make you happy! Again, it's up to you to decide what and who you want to do.

Community. The best thing of all that I think was touched upon earlier. This is what will make this the best cruise you've ever been on. Once you step onboard, you really are transported to a new community. Smiles! Everyone smiles at each other. We greet each other! Good Morning! How are you! Did you LOVE the show last night! And it doesn't matter that you've never met. Because we are all there together! TOGETHER! For the most part-the attitude is left on shore. Really. So going alone really doesn't matter. You'll meet other singles, and couples and most will be happy to have you join them for dinner, excursions, etc. And the Staff LOVES US!!! They truly do. Most of them follow the Atlantis website and bid to be on the ships that Atlantis uses. Why? Because we treat them with respect and dignity. We tip them because we know they deserve it! And NO CHILDREN!!! ;) And they LOVE our costumes, and the same feeling of community. On one cruise our group purchased a giant cupcake for our favorite waitress in one of the pubs because it was her birthday. It was magical. She had never had a guest do anything for her before. And we did it because, well, it was her birthday!!! :)

Join us in February!!! It's a much funner cruise then that stupid old Mexico one!!! :P

I have been on a number of gay cruises, usually sharing with a strictly platonic friend, and find that some cruises do tend to be a bit clique-y if one is on one's own. For a first timer on a gay cruise I would recommend RSVP as the crowds tend to be slightly older and friendlier - my own experience. Atlantis attracts a younger crowd and parties are livelier!

I have just returned from a gay cruise with a European company round the Med and it was a blast, although I found the crowds (mainly Europeans) very young (average age mid 30s) and slightly less friendly. I am in my mid 50s but fortunately fitted in quite well - underwear / swimwear and jockstraps were the order of the day. Anything more would be over-dressing! The parties were exhausting (and there were many starting with an afternoon tea dance and ending with a post all night party at 10am the next day!) The designated sex areas were amazing - no wonder the ship was rocking from side to side on a few occasions!! Goodness knows what the crew thought of us but they were very tolerant and had a "live and let live" attitude - their words, which I found reassuring.

I would certainly recommend a gay cruise as I find it more comfortable to be with "one's own sort". However, just be forewarned that if travelling alone and you strike up a conversation with someone it is sometimes misconstrued as trying to pick up and you get the brush off. The way to deal with this is to develop a thick skin!

Edited by steveeagle
addition

Thanks for posting this. My partner and I have always wondered about these cruises ourselves. We've been together 17 years and always thought it would be nice to cruise with "family". We like to spend time alone also, whether it be walking the ship or sitting on our balcony. What we are not looking for is a "meat market". We've always had the image of it being a gay club on water. I'm glad it's not quite that bad. ;)

RSVP is a bit more lowkey. Atlantis is more the party atmosphere.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also considering going on the Atlantis cruise this October. I'm an early 30s professional, in-shape athletic guy from Florida. I'm also pretty shy and reserved and don't really get out much in the gay life. I have never traveled solo, but I figured this might be a good place to start. I want to break my routine for a week.

Anyone know from experience.. How clicky are these cruises? Are there a lot of guys that travel by themselves with no friends/group?

The only drawback to an all-gay cruise is that they are more expensive.

I don't think the drug dogs sniff luggage during embarkation but I would be surprised if they don't on the return. You leave you luggage outside your door the last night and pick it up in customs. It is highly likely that they run the dogs through before you pick it up.

The RSVP/Atlantis company literature says they will kick off anyone found using drugs. However, if you have a medical marijuana prescription I doubt they would do this.

I work at one of the piers and there are sniffer dogs on ALL arrivals. Once in a while they are used on departures as well. Bringing drugs on board is just plain stupid.

There are busts on many cruises (have personally seen them on Cunard and Celebrity) so don't think you can always beat the system.

Go, sail, have fun, get "together", but be careful.

I'm also considering going on the Atlantis cruise this October. I'm an early 30s professional, in-shape athletic guy from Florida. I'm also pretty shy and reserved and don't really get out much in the gay life. I have never traveled solo, but I figured this might be a good place to start. I want to break my routine for a week.

Anyone know from experience.. How clicky are these cruises? Are there a lot of guys that travel by themselves with no friends/group?

This is my experience cruising solo:

It's roughly 50/50 singles to couples. Yes, some of those singles are traveling with a friend or groups of friends, but quite a few are cruising solo (just by themselves).

Clicky? Well, if they are traveling with friends - sometimes. I think there is safety in numbers, but some do break off and mingles with my those cruising solo.

My recommendation is don't worry about what might or might not happen or who your might or might not meet. Just GO! Since the passengers base is pretty diverse and you get all types of guys from all over the US, Canada and the world it's pretty attitude free and relaxed. I've met guys from small towns, doctors, lawyers, a dentist, guys in the military, a sheriff, all walks of life, etc. People are on vacations and everyone is in a good mood to socialize. You never know who you will meet and that's what makes these cruises so fun.

Although Atlantis does offer events for singles don't expect them to spoon feed you friendships or a Mr. Right for the cruise. It's every man for himself so you have to get out of your comfort zone and mix and mingles. Don't take rejection too personal cause there is a lot of competition. Sometimes the singles events can be a hit or miss too. But don't worry, I've always meet a lot of nice guys and made some nice friends along the way. Like you I can be pretty shy at times. Get out out of your cabin and participate in the ship's group activities. This is a great to meet people.

The #1 rule is unless you want to eat by yourself - don't eat in the Lido Cafe buffet. Try to eat in the main dining room as you will be seated with other guest and this is the best way to meet other people on the cruise - couples as well a singles. I've also made friends with couples too so don't discount this either.

Edited by COMBOY

• 2 weeks later...

Hubby and I have been on dozens of cruises and TA's. We went on one RSVP cruise a few years ago. Not the cruise experience we were hoping for and will NOT go on an all gay cruise again. But as they say....different strokes for different folks. IF you have ever been on a mainstream cruise, I say go on an RSVP or Atlantis and check it out. For you, it might be a perfect fit, for us, it definitely was not! When they have a sailing that fits our schedule, we're going to try a Pied Piper group (that's usually 10 to 50-ish LGBT passengers) on a mainstream sailing.

We're on the Mexican cruise in a few weeks. I think it will be our 11th or 12th Atlantis cruise? We really enjoy the all gay charters especially because there are no children onboard. Everyone is friendly and unlike the typical cruise, you all are on the same vacation. What I mean is that on a typical cruise you have different families/couples/reunions etc... and they're all doing their own thing. On the gay charters it is like one big group. You might have to get out of your comfort zone a bit and say hi to people you pass or as you're waiting for the elevator but you get it back.

One of the best recommendations we got before started with Atlantis is to ask to sit at a big table at dinner time. We've found this is one of the best times on the cruises since you meet people from around the world. Some you might just eat with once others you might grab a drink with later and become close friends. I highly recommend the cruise.

The only drawback to an all-gay cruise is that they are more expensive.

Agree, and shocked that you're the 1st person to mention this on this thread! They're not merely more expensive; they're something on the order of twice as expensive, or more, than the same itinerary on the same line for a non-charter cruise. I just can't justify spending $3K on a room I'd pay $1200 for on a "regular" cruise. Then again, I live in Manhattan and have access to gay nightlife 24/7 so maybe i'm just a little blasé about it and maybe it serves a need for those from the middle of the country. In any event, it's not something I'd consider doing at the current price point.

I don't think the drug dogs sniff luggage during embarkation but I would be surprised if they don't on the return.

Have to disagree here. They most certainly do have drug-sniffing dogs at embarkation and local police present to arrest pax attempting to carry on drugs. I know from the experience of a friend whose roommate on an Atlantis cruise leaving MIA a few years ago was arrested at embarkation. So tread carefully. I'd recommend leaving anything recreational at home.

Edited by Vivere LaDolceVita

I actually priced our last RSVP cruise on the MSC Divina to the sailings before and after our charter in February (same itinerary) and the price for the cabin was not all that much more. And you get a helluva lot more than you would on a regular cruise.

Our balcony on RSVP on the Regal Princess in February 2015 will cost $1.439 per person while the week before and after on the usual (boring) itinerary of St. Tomas and St Maarten will cost $1.049. We will be going to Cozumel and Grand Cayman instead. :)

Oh, and I live in New York too. ;)

Edited by Boytjie

I actually priced our last RSVP cruise on the MSC Divina to the sailings before and after our charter in February (same itinerary) and the price for the cabin was not all that much more. And you get a helluva lot more than you would on a regular cruise.

Our balcony on RSVP on the Regal Princess in February 2015 will cost $1.439 per person while the week before and after on the usual (boring) itinerary of St. Tomas and St Maarten will cost $1.049. We will be going to Cozumel and Grand Cayman instead. :)

Oh, and I live in New York too. ;)

I was actually referring to the Atlantis cruises -- should have been more specific. I have no experience with booking/shopping for RSVP or other gay charters (other than PP).

Where in NY? I'm in Hell's Kitchen. :)