Yoga

DogLover45

We just returned from the Equinox. Yoga, Pilates, and Spin classes were offered at an additional cost.

Sox59 - looks like we have the same Mini....I am also a Sox fan, but I'm guessing you are referring to the Boston Red Sox not the Chicago White Sox;)

On Century this year those classes were all $15 per session, plus the gratuity. They also offered personal training sessions for a fee. There is a free stretch class in the mornings, but this was always very popular.

They expect a tip in a yoga class...seriously?

They do charge for yoga. They do add a gratuity. If you normally practice yoga with a certified teacher, you will be sorely disappointed in the class.

Going to get on my soap box here:

The classes are led by the young people who work for the vendor who operates the gym and spa. These young people are probably very good at gym stuff but know nothing of yoga or Pilates. I have seen them putting people into positions that are downright dangerous for the inexperienced.

On a recent cruise on Century, I discussed this with the officer in charge of overseeing the gym and spa operations and he readilly admitted that none of the instructors are certified or have even been required to attend an actual yoga class. They are given a script to follow. I strongly suggested that the cruise line request the vendor to hire at least one certified yoga instructor and he concurred that it would be a good idea.

I have, personally, had conversations with the gym attendants on RCI and Celebrity who readily admit that they haven't the vaguest clue about yoga, they just follow a script and are given a book so they know what the poses are supposed to look like. No information is given them on getting in and out of the poses, which is extremely important for physical safety.

Take it from someone who does a regular yoga practice (intermediate level - no headstands or pretzel poses), don't waste your money or risk an injury by doing yoga poses with an inexperienced "trainer".

This is one of my pet peeves with cruise lines. Maybe if I repeat it enough and the paid attendance at these sessions goes down, the cruise lines will get the message that they can hurt people.

My wife enjoyed her yoga sessions and believes they were less than $20.00 a time. Tipped the good instructer and not one she thought did a poor job.

Either it was an exception or she doesn't usually do yoga and would not know if the instructor was good or not. They are not certified instructors and the majority have never even been to a yoga class

Archived