Back to Princess after eighteen years

smtcan

Our first ever cruise was with Princess in 1994. In the last few years we have travelled with HAL, NCL, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity (which has become our line of choice). In January we are joining a group of friends on Star Princess out of Buenos Aires. What differences can we expect between Princess and Celebrity? How does it compare with our other recent cruise lines? What are the 'do not miss' features?

Thanks for your help

I love the International Cafe. HAL, Celebrity, and RCCL don't have anything like it. Pastries, muffins, donuts and breakfast sandwiches for breakfast, paninis, sandwiches, salads (shrimp, chicken and Greek) as well as pastries the rest of the day and night.

I'm a 3-star Mariner on HAL and have been on both HAL and Celebrity in just over a year. While food is very subjective, I think Princess has better food and service than both. The shows and entertainment are better as well.

On Princess, cabins are ready as soon as you board so you can start your cruise immediately, unlike Celebrity. HAL changed to that just a year or so ago.

Hopefully, you'll like Princess.

Like the OP, I haven't been on Princess since 1999 and will be on the Island in January.

After sailing with 4 other lines (RCI, NCL, HAL, Celebrity), I am very interested in what people have to say about the OP's question

Since 2000, we have sailed three times on Celebrity, twice on HAL, once on Carnival, and are about to sail on our 12th Princess cruise. I've enjoyed them all--even the Carnival one. There's always something that another cruise line does better. I generally look for the best price and itinerary to meet our vacation schedule. DH teaches and doesn't have much flebility with his. Princess has earned more of our business because it has had affordable cruises that fit our schedule. The past passenger perks are also nice. Even though after we finally make it to Elite, I'll still look at Celebrity and HAL to see if either has a good value.

Cafe Promenade (on RCCL ships that have it), is quite similar to the International Cafe on Princess. They're both 24 hour places to grab some quick snack food.

4847856045_36cd2ae75b_z.jpg

Mariner of the Seas by Jasperdo, on Flickr

IMHO the International Cafe didn't come close in comparison to RCI's Cafe Promenade.

Found much more variety on the RCI ships.

Bill

Archived