Experience Tendering into Newport?

capriccio

We are on a Quebec to Fort Lauderdale cruise in late October that includes 2 tender ports - Bar Harbor and Newport. I've read warnings about the fog in Bar Harbor so I have an excursion planned with Acadia National Park Tours that doesn't require pre-payment. I haven't seen much about the tendering experience in Newport. I hope that means that it usually comes off without a hitch! Has anyone ever had problems? We want to go to the Breakers and do the Cliff Walk (weather permitting) and I'm trying to determine whether to purchase the non-refundable Breakers tickets in advance or just resign myself to standing in line once we get to Newport. Thanks!

Fog can be a problem anywhere along the coast that time of year. On my NE/Canada cruise 2 years ago in late October, Newport was fogged in until late afternoon, while Bar Harbor a few days later was clear. No problem tendering in Newport even with the fog. No way to predict this far in advance whether fog will occur.

Fog can be a problem anywhere along the coast that time of year. On my NE/Canada cruise 2 years ago in late October, Newport was fogged in until late afternoon, while Bar Harbor a few days later was clear. No problem tendering in Newport even with the fog. No way to predict this far in advance whether fog will occur.

Thanks Arusha! So if fog doesn't impact tendering in Newport what does? Just heavy seas?

If you aren't doing a ship's tour, wait until you get to Newport, go to the visitor's center and you can buy whatever tickets you want right there. Also, it is right next door to the buses and trolleys which will take you where you want to go. That way, if there is any problems, you can wait until the last minute to buy tickets.

Cheers

Len

If you aren't doing a ship's tour, wait until you get to Newport, go to the visitor's center and you can buy whatever tickets you want right there. Also, it is right next door to the buses and trolleys which will take you where you want to go. That way, if there is any problems, you can wait until the last minute to buy tickets.

Cheers

Len

Thanks Len - I think that will be our plan!