Monopod for shooting movies

c230k

Decided to buy a monopod and try taking movies with my Sony RX10. The quality of movies is getting so good thought I give it a go.

Question:

Down to two monopods with feet. The Sirui P-224S Carbon Fiber.

and Sirui 204S made with Aluminum. There is almost $100 difference between the two, is Carbon Fiber with the difference?

Thank you

Tom :cool:

Decided to buy a monopod and try taking movies with my Sony RX10. The quality of movies is getting so good thought I give it a go.

Question:

Down to two monopods with feet. The Sirui P-224S Carbon Fiber.

and Sirui 204S made with Aluminum. There is almost $100 difference between the two, is Carbon Fiber with the difference?

Thank you

Look at total ounces Tom.

On a full size tripod where the difference can be a pound or more and you are going to carry it around a lot, it may be worth the difference. In the case of these two where the difference is 8 oz., maybe not.

Carbon fiber isn't as hot or cold to the touch as aluminum id you are expecting temperature extremes. It also doesn't transmit vibration as much as aluminum but that is less of an issue as with a tripod that is often left standing for stability.

I ended up going with aluminum on my tripod since I don't use one a lot and when I do, it's usually in a home studio setting or near a car. Your mileage may vary.

For what it's worth, I went with two pieces for my travel kit, each for their separate purposes. First the Flashpoint F-2560 CF monopod with a small Giottos ballhesd and a Giottos QU 500B mini tripod with its own small ballhead. I'm not sure I'd trust the small legs on the monopod combo to stand up with my nice shiny camera when the 'pod is extended and the table top tripod only weighs a few ounces.

Just my opinion....I may be wrong... ;)

Dave

Edited by pierces

Appreciate the input, as always, bought the

Sirui P-224S 63" 4-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod. I have their tripod and can use the head, for additional help.

MONOPOD_zpsc4bc3407.jpg