Does This Sound Like a Good Plan?

Tinkerkelle

Leaving on the Carnival Pride NYE Cruise to Western Caribbean Dec 28. Never been to these places before, but here is what I have scheduled. Does this sound like a good plan/good tour operators? I really would like to have some good snorkeling for my son who loves it!

Costa Maya -- Mayan Ruins & Seven Color Lagoon

Belize City -- Zip Lining & Cave Tubing with cavetubing.bz I made a reservation initially with Butt's Up but switched over due to the lunch and pirate punch. Wise choice:confused::confused:

Roatan -- "driver" Juan Carlos tour of the island, local seafood lunch and snorkeling off the beach. I'm concerned about this as I want to make sure we can get good snorkeling here. Would I be better off just booking a snorkeling excursion. I really wanted to see the island too. We only have about 4-5 hours in port.

Grand Cayman -- Sting Ray City and snorkel tour with Captain Marvin's. I was also planning on visiting Seven Mile Beach before snorkel tour.

Do you experts have any suggestions???? I would appreciate feedback, especially about the Roatan day. Thanks!!!!

We are doing the same exact cruise a couple of weeks before you. (cannot wait to board the Pride after the refurb)...Guys burgers....yipeeeee

We are doing the cave tubing in Belize with the same company.

This is what we are doing in Costa Maya:

http://www.almaplenabeachresort.com/

Roatan...7 Mile Beach

and

Grand Cayman....not sure yet.

Your plan sounds GREAT...

I can highly recommend the costa maya mayan ruins.

its not very far away- a short bus trip, its not a full day, its mostly shaded and an easy walk and not to big of an area.

sure there are more spectacular ruins in Belize and elsewhere but, for simplicity and ease and not being an all day affair, nothing beats Chacobbean.

Think you will feel rushed in Roatan. if not a cruise ship excursion, then you don't get first dibs to get off early and then you are in someone else's hands. I would just choose snorkeling, and plan to go back to the island.

My DH and I cruised the Legend several years ago and when I rebooked, the same cruise with the same ports, he said, but I have seen those places-of course we did totally different excursions. We got back and did another cruise to Progresso , saw the Uxmal ruins, and now I hear-I want to go back to Belize to see more ruins, and Roatan, I love Mahogany Bay:). You get the idea, you cant do it all at once, and you have a very packed with port cruise. Have a great time!

Kelle, depends on where you are going for the snorkel. I am doing my own snorkeling on Roatan in early December on the Liberty. Am taking the Carnival shuttle (Tabyana Beach Break) to West Bay. It is supposed to be one of the better snorkels from the beach.

Also looking at Capt Marvins or Acquarius SeaTours on GC, haven't decided which yet.

Steve

Kelle, depends on where you are going for the snorkel. I am doing my own snorkeling on Roatan in early December on the Liberty. Am taking the Carnival shuttle (Tabyana Beach Break) to West Bay. It is supposed to be one of the better snorkels from the beach.

Also looking at Capt Marvins or Acquarius SeaTours on GC, haven't decided which yet.

Steve

That's what I was wondering...really wanted to just find a nice beach to snorkel from. Do you have any idea how far out we would have to swim for the snorkeling. We are pretty strong swimmers but I don't want to spend a ton of time looking for a good place. I am going to look at what Carnival offers now for Tabyana. Thanks!

Think you will feel rushed in Roatan. if not a cruise ship excursion, then you don't get first dibs to get off early and then you are in someone else's hands. I would just choose snorkeling, and plan to go back to the island.

I am starting to lean this way...just doing the snorkeling of the Tabyana Beach. We do have FTTF which would help in tendering, but I think you are right about it feeling rushed! I did want to see those monkeys though :D Thanks for your insight!

We are doing the same exact cruise a couple of weeks before you. (cannot wait to board the Pride after the refurb)...Guys burgers....yipeeeee

So excited about the refurb...please post pics after you get back! Can't wait for a Guy's Burger!!!!!

That's what I was wondering...really wanted to just find a nice beach to snorkel from. Do you have any idea how far out we would have to swim for the snorkeling. We are pretty strong swimmers but I don't want to spend a ton of time looking for a good place. I am going to look at what Carnival offers now for Tabyana. Thanks!

So let's take these one at a time... :)

We are using the Tabyana Beach break because they state there is a shuttle that runs every 30 minutes. We will snorkel maybe 2-2.5 hours max. Taxi would be about $10 cheaper for two, BUT, I've seen threads here where trying to get a taxi at West Bay (Tabyana) is not easy. So, using the shuttle makes better sense for us.

Here is a map (that someone included in a different thread) of the snorkel area.

http://kimbakersphotography.smugmug.com/CRUISE-MAPS/Little-French-Key/i-bQ4LqPb/0/L/Mapa-wbba_front_maponly_1600x800_50-L.jpg

So excited about the refurb...please post pics after you get back! Can't wait for a Guy's Burger!!!!!

We are doing the repo cruise in March on the Pride. Looking forward to the "Green Thunder" slide. I always do the slide at least ONE day on the ship for up to 90 minutes :) Guy's will be good too, and will have that on the Liberty for this trip.

I am starting to lean this way...just doing the snorkeling of the Tabyana Beach. We do have FTTF which would help in tendering, but I think you are right about it feeling rushed! I did want to see those monkeys though :D Thanks for your insight!

No tendering in Roatan. There are piers for the ship, either in Mahogany Bay or at Coxen Hole.

And for Maya Key, what was real nice is that you snorkel off the end of the pier. You follow a course for about 100 yards (maybe less) to get to the rim of the reef. Then you can snorkel a wide area. When last here, I was (literally) in the water for 2.5 hours, was the "first" off the pier with few people around for the first hour, and did it without the guide. Came in, rested a bit, changed batteries in the camera, and then went out again.

Remember that in Roatan you have a dock... so no tendering. In Belize it is a tender and that is helpful to have the FTTF.

From my research, in Roatan, best deal is to either snorkel free at Mahogany Bay or pay for Tabyana. Taxis here are expensive.

Belize, I highly recommend cruise excursions due to short time in port. Agree with Stingray and 7 mile beach in Grand Cayman. Remember, if your private excursion is late or breaks down, the ship won't wait on you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums