Princess crew member calls Carnival a rust bucket??

Tapi

Hi:

We are on our first Princess cruise aboard Golden Princess, and just returned from the lifeboat drill.

It was held at a full main theater, and while we waited, one of the crew members entertained the passengers by making funny comments and asking them questions, like where they were from, if this was their first cruise, etc, etc.

Long story short, he asked if anybody had cruised before but NOT on Princess (a lot of people had). He then followed the question up by saying "Hopefully your previous cruises were not on that RUST bucket, Carnival. If they were, your opinion about cruising is about to be greatly improved". :eek: There were a handful of chuckles from the crowd, but you could also hear a lot of murmuring.

Now is it me, or was that comment from this crew member highly unprofessional, even if he was trying to be funny?? Even if Princess is indeed an improvement over Carnival, I considered this comment to be uncalled for, specially when Princess and Carnival are sister ships, owned by the same corporation. Thoughts?

Our departure has been delayed until 9:00pm for "technical reasons", which is why I'm taking a moment to write this post. Besides the comment from that crew member, the experience has been great.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We have been on Golden Princess and the time we were on it surely wa NOT a step up over Carnival. It was nice but we have over 80 cruises and never had one we did not enjoy. I surely WOULD sail Princess again so I am NOT putting them down, but I prefer Carnival or Royal Carribean with Carnival being our favorite.

Very unprofessional but than again JH does it to the competition all the time.

Yes a very true statement. He along with all his very special friends are always taking jabs at other cruise lines so tit for tat.

Not bad if you consider the comment made by a comic on a RCCL ship I sailed years ago. It was when the Voyager of the Seas first came out The comic made the remark that the Carnival ship we were docked next to, earlier in the day, looked like something the Voyager had "crapped out."

Not bad if you consider the comment made by a comic on a RCCL ship I sailed years ago. It was when the Voyager of the Seas first came out The comic made the remark that the Carnival ship we were docked next to, earlier in the day, looked like something the Voyager had "crapped out."

Yuck

Yes a very true statement. He along with all his very special friends are always taking jabs at other cruise lines so tit for tat.

Does he go after other companies under the Carnival Corp. umbrella? I know he goes after RCI, NCL, and Disney; but I've never seen him go after Cunard, Princess, or P&O.

But a comedian and a crew member are very different things. Not sure how one could call an entire line a rust bucket. He needs new material.

It is entirely possible the "crew member" was an ACD or some other member of the entertainment department. I would take as a joke but yes, they probably do need new material.

Doesn't really matter if he was an entertainer - he wasn't performing.

I'd need to see a specific example of JH "trash talking" NCL, RCI, Disney, etc. before I pass judgement on what he's said. I don't follow him terribly closely, but I can't recall him ever really trash talking.

Been on one princess cruise, a transatlantic. It was really nice and I do think their food was better, but a set up - NOT! I'm a senior citizen and I was one of the youngest on that cruise. They rolled up the hallways at 8pm. I've been on many carnival cruises and I like the younger more festive crowd. I will sail Princess again and would recommend either them or carnival since I think both lines have much to offer.

As far as the comment, I can understand why he said it. Princess is the only line that I've been on where I meet true snobs who were rude and seriously looked down their nose at you once they learned that you sailed Carnival. funny thing is that most of the ones I meet had never been on Carnival ship.

Perhaps that crew member needs a reminder that Carnival Corp owns Princess. It's in Princess' best interest financial if Carnival does well.

Plus, every cruiseline is right for someone. Just because I'm not interested in RCL, Princess or NCL right now doesn't mean they're bad cruiselines. They just aren't what I want at this point.

I find all the preconceived notions about Carnival to be rather annoying personally. Most of the time, it's someone who heard from their second cousin who heard from their coworker , etc... Or they went on one 4 day cruise in the 80s during spring break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Ehpride

Yikes. Extremely unprofessional IMO.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Cruise Critic App

NOT! I can name at least 2 ships that I would never cruise on ever again. Inspiration and Imagination. They are more than rust buckets. Carnival keeps them on for short cruises. Only suites with balconies and only window views. We'll never do either ship again - not even for FREE!

P.S. We have 2 Princess cruises lined up. Carnival better step up to the plate with some new ships or we'll just stick to Princess.

Edited by elliair

NOT! I can name at least 2 ships that I would never cruise on ever again. Inspiration and Imagination. They are more than rust buckets. Carnival keeps them on for short cruises. Only suites with balconies and only window views. We'll never do either ship again - not even for FREE!

P.S. We have 2 Princess cruises lined up. Carnival better step up to the plate with some new ships or we'll just stick to Princess.

But you're not an employee of a sister cruiseline saying Carnival's fleet are rustbuckets while representing your employer.

Well, let's face it, the fantasy class is way past it's prime. Sure you can have a good time on them but they are dated. They need to be sold off. The cabin interiors are akin to a college dorm. The showroom has support columns that block the view. The pools are tiny. There is only a handful of balconies, etc, etc. And to top it off, the short cruises these ships do are the highest price per day. So basically you pay more for less. The ships are a cash cow for carnival but contribute to the reputation of being the Wal-Mart of the Seas.